Page 117 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1949

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Sooner or later at&t will step in and that's when you will see people get fired
    Disney was more than willing to ignore a lot of the mess going on within the fandom until its shareholders began to see people like James Gunn and Gina Carano as too problematic
    Yet Disney did nothing about anybody after John Boyega spoke out about the company and the awful decisions regarding the false advertisement of his character. Granted from what I'm aware of, the issues he had weren't related to any form of on-set abuse but it was another situation of Disney execs saying one thing in public and doing the opposite behind the scenes. To my knowledge noone suffered any consequences from that controversy.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-08-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Are there any other future projects Johns is attached to other than the Green Lantern series?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Unless casting decisions like this are somehow related to some form of whitewashing, then isn't it a bit odd that producers need to publicly justify not casting actors who they didn't think were right for particular roles, or else they must be racially-motivated.
    I agree and I think that all Johns "crimes" are irrelevant when taken in isolation. Problem is that now there is a number of such incidents, add to that "I have black friends" defence and it starts to look suspicious.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I hadn't realized it was meant to tie in to MoS. That doesn't change my mind about anything but it does make me think, "What if Jor-El was adopted much like his son came to be?" That would be more interesting to me than anything I heard about that show.
    So Kal-El wouldn't have been related to his black grandfather by blood? I'm pretty sure that would have been spun negatively by Fisher and others, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    So Kal-El wouldn't have been related to his black grandfather by blood? I'm pretty sure that would have been spun negatively by Fisher and others, too.
    Well if we go by what we have seen in Africa with black kids being born to white parents due to genes-yeah Kal-El could have a black grandfather and was just born looking white.

And to really explain it-if Kal-El grew up on Krypton-he would have developed features like grand dad but since he went to Earth and that Sun with whatever environmental issues at the time grew up to look the way he does.

There is a way to explain it. If we don't look at Supergirl.

Unless casting decisions like this are somehow related to some form of whitewashing, then isn't it a bit odd that producers need to publicly justify not casting actors who they didn't think were right for particular roles, or else they must be racially-motivated.
    It has been said before but NOT in the words these guys are saying it.

Yet Disney did nothing about anybody after John Boyega spoke out about the company and the awful decisions regarding the false advertisement of his character. Granted from what I'm aware of, the creative problems he had weren't related to any form of on-set abuse but it was another situation of Disney execs saying one thing in public and the opposite behind the scenes. To my knowledge noone suffered any consequences from that controversy.
    Someone did suffer John Boyega. Abrams had to fight to get him in that movie after making CLEAR that is who he wanted. In terms of merchandise of the three leads-he got the LEAST. Disney pandered to the complainers.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Someone did suffer John Boyega. Abrams had to fight to get him in that movie after making CLEAR that is who he wanted. In terms of merchandise of the three leads-he got the LEAST. Disney pandered to the complainers.
    I'm talking about noone behind the scenes. If Disney wants to keep talking about equality and diversity, then shouldn't someone be held accountable for trying to present Finn as a bigger deal than he really was in that trilogy. Why don't they practice what they preach and apply their own standards to themselves as well.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-08-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Boyega and Ridley both got screwed a bit by the obsession with Adam Driver as Kylo Ren post-TFA, and it indirectly spread to other actors as well, even Kelly Marie Tran, who was arguably only playing a character designed to demean and demote Boyega’s in spite of Tran’s own talent winning her the role.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Well if we go by what we have seen in Africa with black kids being born to white parents due to genes-yeah Kal-El could have a black grandfather and was just born looking white.

And to really explain it-if Kal-El grew up on Krypton-he would have developed features like grand dad but since he went to Earth and that Sun with whatever environmental issues at the time grew up to look the way he does.

There is a way to explain it. If we don't look at Supergirl.
    Oh, creatively, there's always a way to explain it. I would have zero problem with it myself. I'm just tired of Ray E. Coyote going to his next Acme project after the last one didn't work, that's all.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Are there any other future projects Johns is attached to other than the Green Lantern series?
    Season 2 of Star Girl.

I have never heard of white parents in Africa producing black children. It's been the other way round from what I've seen.

Ultimate Member

Yet somehow these people act like Disney panders to women and PoC.

He's still listed as a producer on Batwoman, Titans and Doom Patrol. But if it's about "future projects" in particular, he was attached to Shazam 2 but when they announced the Helen Mirren casting, his name wasn't mentioned despite that it was with the previous casting. "Remedial action" perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    They’ve verbally gone to bat for Hamada in a way that they didn’t for John’s. Take what you will from that but it’s not telling me that he’s being backed up in quite the way Hamada is.
    Pretty sure they've put out a statement defending Johns, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm just going to quote from Wikipedia about Man of Steel movie:

There was no "continuity" reason to make Superman's grandfather look like him since they were not directly related.
    What? This means very little. On Krypton, each person submitted DNA and boom, you have a kid. Superman being the first naturally conceived child just means that his parents had sex to have him. Kryptonians just developed a more efficient way to produce children that would take feelings out of it. It wouldn't change their genetics.
    It's also why it was important to mix with the proper house.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Superman’s ancestor is a little more than “a no-name character.”
    I hardly believe the general audience gave two craps about the adventures of Superman's grandfather. He's a nobody who had zero impact on who or what Superman, himself, became outside of being a genetic donor. The problem with Krypton was here was yet another Superman show with the trappings of Superman, but no Superman.