Aquaman: The Becoming #3 Preview
    Writer: Brandon Thomas
    Artist: Scott Koblish and Wade Von Grawbadger

Extraordinary Member

DC still has the purple ray

Lady reminds me of Mera's sister.

Man, the spoilers:
    long lost sibling
    end of spoilers trope came back with force this year.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Man, the spoilers:
    long lost sibling
    Yeah I legitimately did not see that ending coming.

Also weird little call outs to Justice League Detroit and the Challengers of the unknown.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Man, the spoilers:
    long lost sibling
    At least in this regard, "long lost" for Jackson isn't the same as "long lost" for us. It's not like we've been reading about Jackson Hyde for 80 years and he's a known commodity, since his introduction we haven't learned all that much about him and so he's ripe for Tropes. I read this sucker and was like "Oh yeah we barely know anything about this kid!" which is like the complete opposite of my reaction to Leo Lane and Melinda Grayson, or Lincoln March, or any of the other recent ones.

They could do this to Mera, too. There's been plenty of Mera stories, but in 60 years have we really learned that much about her? When Johns was like "oh by the way she was an assassin sent to kill Aquaman" it was like "oh ... yeah I can see that angle." I mean we'd met some of her lordly suitors, mentors, and her sisters in the 60s and 70s and uh ... they seemed like they'd probably assassinate Aquaman. And she could have like a half-dozen more sisters, for all we know (though somehow in my head it seems like there's probably, you know, Seven of them.)
    Last edited by K. Jones; 11-16-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    At least in this regard, "long lost" for Jackson isn't the same as "long lost" for us. It's not like we've been reading about Jackson Hyde for 80 years and he's a known commodity, since his introduction we haven't learned all that much about him and so he's ripe for Tropes. I read this sucker and was like "Oh yeah we barely know anything about this kid!" which is like the complete opposite of my reaction to Leo Lane and Melinda Grayson, or Lincoln March, or any of the other recent ones.

They could do this to Mera, too. There's been plenty of Mera stories, but in 60 years have we really learned that much about her? When Johns was like "oh by the way she was an assassin sent to kill Aquaman" it was like "oh ... yeah I can see that angle." I mean we'd met some of her lordly suitors, mentors, and her sisters in the 60s and 70s and uh ... they seemed like they'd probably assassinate Aquaman. And she could have like a half-dozen more sisters, for all we know (though somehow in my head it seems like there's probably, you know, Seven of them.)
    Mera has more sisters than just Siren? Is she DC's Ariel ?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

And I have now lost internet in this book. It's a shame. That first issue was fantastic.