Page 37 of 130 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This would certainly explain why Gadot didn't back up Fisher's accusations earlier. She wasn't there. Her reshoots took place separately.

From the sounds of it, Gadot had the juice to push back with Whedon whereas Fisher, being a complete newcomer, did not.
    Gadot had actual concerns and she was straight forward with her complaints she wasn't doing silly things like complaining about saying "Booyah" and exploiting this during contract negotiations for the next film with the DCEU.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    seems so, But while Whedon might have done something wrong, I don't believe Berg or Johns did. But could be I am wrong.
    Supposedly they were the enablers. Though that frankly can be said about any producer who's been accused of turning a blind eye to a director treating their cast like crap, especially if it's a high-caliber director who is perceived to be allowed to do whatever they like. Doesn't excuse the producers, but it's not always as black and white as "the director was an ass because the producer enabled him".

I think the bigger problem here, and I'd commend Fisher on bringing it up before, is the main focus seems to be only on a couple of individuals when it can't be that simple. Toxic working environment like this can't only be boiled to 2 or 3 people being asses to the cast. There must be a lot more folks involved in this that we haven't heard of yet and probably never will because the public side of this is the only ones that must be held accountable for it are those who were publicly called out. If they are punished for it, WB won't have anymore public responsibility since they would be seen as having taken care of the problem, when in reality whoever else may have also played a part in this would go unpunished. Corporations like that will always try to make themselves look good in the end no matter what, so people shouldn't always take their "investigations" or statements of "taking remedial action" at face value.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-17-2020 at 09:36 PM.

This would certainly explain why Gadot didn't back up Fisher's accusations earlier. She wasn't there. Her reshoots took place separately.

From the sounds of it, Gadot had the juice to push back with Whedon whereas Fisher, being a complete newcomer, did not.
    With the exception of Momoa, most of this cast were already on other projects. I believe Gadot was doing reshoots for WW; Miller was working on Fantastic Beasts, Cavill was on the latest Mission Impossible, and Affleck's personal life was imploding.
    All of this (plus a time crunch) had to have led to tension on set.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Supposedly they were the enablers. Though that frankly can be said about any producer who's been accused of turning a blind eye to a director treating their cast like crap, especially if it's a high-caliber director who is perceived to be allowed to do whatever they like. Doesn't excuse the producers, but it's not always as black and white as "the director was an ass because the producer enabled him".

I think the bigger problem here, and I'd commend Fisher on bringing it up before, is the main focus seems to be only on a couple of individuals when it can't be that simple. Toxic working environment like this can't only be boiled to 2 or 3 people being asses to the cast. There must be a lot more folks involved in this that we haven't heard of yet and probably never will because the public side of this is the only ones that must be held accountable for it are those who were publicly called out. If they are punished for it, WB won't have anymore public responsibility since they would be seen as having taken care of the problem, when in reality whoever else may have also played a part in this would go unpunished. Corporations like that will always try to make themselves look good in the end no matter what, so people shouldn't always take their "investigations" or statements of "taking remedial action" at face value.
    It's a valid complaint and there's been enough to establish something bad happened but this wasn't what Fisher was doing, he latched into this narrative later when his abuse claims came up empty since he had no receipts. It's telling how the cast that did speak up did for this specific topic, directly or implied, but didn't openly endorse what Fisher was doing. "His truth" rather than "the truth," is a telling statement. It's irritating how he spent more time outlining his plan of attack in destroying careers then explain his claims and used relevant issues in Hollywood as leverage for his role in Flash during a contract negotiation. It comes off as incredibly selfish and self destructive, things he's not going to do for random people who are attacked by his own cast members on camera.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    seems so, But while Whedon might have done something wrong, I don't believe Berg or Johns did. But could be I am wrong.
    The issue with Johns & Berg is that, allegedly, they allowed Whedon to behave badly and protected him when cast and crew with less clout than Gadot brought up their problems to the producers.

It's beginning to sound like this was standard operating procedure in high-stress Hollywood productions and nobody has ever caused a fuss about it before because they were afraid of losing work. That doesn't seem to be an issue with Ray Fisher, who seems to be actively trying to torpedo his career.

He was just cast in a new ABC series so he doesn't seem to be losing work yet.

Astonishing Member

More accurately Whedon was the only one formally employed by WB by the time the investigation concluded

Extraordinary Member

The issue with Johns & Berg is that, allegedly, they allowed Whedon to behave badly and protected him when cast and crew with less clout than Gadot brought up their problems to the producers.

It's beginning to sound like this was standard operating procedure in high-stress Hollywood productions and nobody has ever caused a fuss about it before because they were afraid of losing work. That doesn't seem to be an issue with Ray Fisher, who seems to be actively trying to torpedo his career.
    I just can't believe anyone doesn't know about Hollywood working conditions after all these decades of stories. Hitchcock, James Cameron, Kubrick, Bay....all at times have been known to have terrible working environments. The Shining was a nightmare for Duvall because Kubrick made it so, he literally tortured her mentally on purpose. Ditto Hitckcock with some of his leading ladies. And that's ignoring the often loose attitude toward safety, (The Crow, any Cameron movie, The Twilight Zone movie among many others).

All these things are well known, and vastly more serious than anything Fisher is likely talking about, or Tom Cruise's currently talked about blow-ups, (he's wisely now taking a bit of a break for the holiday, hopefully he can calm down).

That said, some directors are known for the opposite. These people are well liked and have good management styles. Bottom line is that while most directors at least theoretically know what they're doing with respect toward the technical aspects of movie making, few of them are skilled in, or have formal training in management of people. And some Hollywood productions are infused with stress from the start. League was obviously one of those.

I don't believe Fisher on that Johns threatened his career, what career, he had none.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    All these things are well known, and vastly more serious than anything Fisher is likely talking about, or Tom Cruise's currently talked about blow-ups, (he's wisely now taking a bit of a break for the holiday, hopefully he can calm down).
    While true, it would be a major mistake to let small things slide because there are worse things out there. To a large degree, the small things allow the large things to develop.

That said, some directors are known for the opposite. These people are well liked and have good management styles. Bottom line is that while most directors at least theoretically know what they're doing with respect toward the technical aspects of movie making, few of them are skilled in, or have formal training in management of people. And some Hollywood productions are infused with stress from the start. League was obviously one of those.
    True. And it need not be a mistake to hire a director with poor people or management skills for a studio, but then it needs to be paired with producers who can pick up that load.

For all that I don't care for Zac Snyder as a film maker, it's pretty clear he is skilled as a producer, in managing the process of making a film, and in creating a good atmosphere on set. When he was replaced by Whedon, it seems that they had none on the top positions who were good at that.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    While true, it would be a major mistake to let small things slide because there are worse things out there. To a large degree, the small things allow the large things to develop.

True. And it need not be a mistake to hire a director with poor people or management skills for a studio, but then it needs to be paired with producers who can pick up that load.

For all that I don't care for Zac Snyder as a film maker, it's pretty clear he is skilled as a producer, in managing the process of making a film, and in creating a good atmosphere on set. When he was replaced by Whedon, it seems that they had none on the top positions who were good at that.
    Even if they had, they had so much pressure on them, that it would have taken the most experienced manager to keep things in check. We have to keep in mind that WB had invested already lots of money and the movie was anything but finished. It was chaotic, under pressure people might say things they dont mean.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Still not proof. We have seen directors and writers still get work with flops and even string of flops.
    That good old boy network has its perks.

Netflix and Adam Sandler say hi.

Andrew Stanton say hi. He gave Disney the box office bomb known as John Carter and the ill-fated Onward. He gave Pixar Good Dinosaur under performing.
    He still worked for both of them including writing Toy Story 4.
    I didn't say a failure at the box office automatically sends you a pink slip, sky. Besides, the last couple of films Snyder made entirely on his own were financially successful. What I was driving at was a combination of a critical (I assume most critics won't like it again, though for the usual thing they dislike Snyder's work - it's not what they expect in a CB film) and monetary bomb (not to mention the stink of controversy that always surrounds Snyder) will assuredly end his WB connection, iMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I just can't believe anyone doesn't know about Hollywood working conditions after all these decades of stories. Hitchcock, James Cameron, Kubrick, Bay....all at times have been known to have terrible working environments..
    Right. De Mille, Stroheim, and Ford were known as tyrants when Hollywood was still a baby. Anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of film will know none of this is new. Do I agree with that type of behavior. Nope, but I don't consider it close to racist remarks or MeToo type-stuff, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post

10characters
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)