Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Do you prefer The Long Halloween or Dark Victory?

I find it really hard to choose between them, and granted my Batman collection is still a little modest but they're probably my favourite two stories that I've read so far. The art by Tim Sale is stunning and noirish and Jeph Loeb's storytelling is gripping and down-to-earth. It almost feels strange comparing them because they are essentially two halves of the same story but I just wanted to know what you guys think!

Astonishing Member

Long Halloween by far. I rate it as the second best Batman story behind Batman: Year One. Still like Dark Victory though.

Agreed — Long Halloween takes the gold, but I do really love Dark Victory.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dark Victory

My problem with Long Halloween is the murders take place over a year, there's so many suspects and I don't know their motivation... I mean usually in detective story we spend some time with everyone to know them that we know who they are and what access they have, so we can have fun solving it... Long Halloween time skips so much and doesn't spend enough time with anyone that it's impossible to follow.

I can follow maybe 2-3 suspects but the rest are just names.

By the end when spoiler was revealed as the killer I was not impressed because sure, pick the one who's not even in the book 1% of the time. I can do that too.

Dark Victory, it's been a while since I read it, but I remember the list of suspect is smaller, and by this point we kinda already know the characters, so when the reveal happened, it was one of my suspect and my reaction was "that makes sense"

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Out of the 2 I'd say THE LONG HALLOWEEN.

All-New Member

Long Halloween is artistically superior and Dark Victory has the superior story.

Extraordinary Member

Long Halloween easily

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Dark Victory

My problem with Long Halloween is the murders take place over a year, there's so many suspects and I don't know their motivation... I mean usually in detective story we spend some time with everyone to know them that we know who they are and what access they have, so we can have fun solving it... Long Halloween time skips so much and doesn't spend enough time with anyone that it's impossible to follow.

I can follow maybe 2-3 suspects but the rest are just names.

By the end when spoiler was revealed as the killer I was not impressed because sure, pick the one who's not even in the book 1% of the time. I can do that too.

Dark Victory, it's been a while since I read it, but I remember the list of suspect is smaller, and by this point we kinda already know the characters, so when the reveal happened, it was one of my suspect and my reaction was "that makes sense"
    Haven't read Dark Victory.. but agree with your opinion of Long Halloween. Wasn't a good mystery. Didn't enjoy the end.

BANNED

Long Halloween.

Long Halloween.

I do need to re-read these though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Long Halloween has a more nuanced mystery, Dark Victory has more focus on the "freaks," Robin, and my favorite single Batman page I've ever read, in the last issue.

I think Dark Victory is better, but I also read it first, which mitigated the sense that it was a retread. I might not have felt the same way if I'd read Long Halloween first.

Then again, I might have. Robin is my favorite part of the Batman mythos, and the prominence of the "freaks," what the Smashing Pumpkins called Batman's "world of wow," is a lot more unique than another mafia thriller - much less one that starts with a blatant ripoff of Godfather's opening.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story (I've never been as impressed by Year One).

I think Dark Victory had a better ending, but generally had less bite than Long Halloween did with the fall of the mob and Harvey Dent and the rise of the crazed supervillains and origin of Two-Face.
    Long Halloween is better but Dark Victory had a better mystery.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm curious which parts of Long Halloween end up in The Batman since Dark Knight already took some cues from LH

It's been a while since I read these. But, Long Halloween is on one of my next to re-read piles. It was a great read!