Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have more of an issue with Bat God then Bat Dick. But to be honest I enjoy Batman from the 60s and 70s more then any other era. A time when his best friend was Superman, a time when Gordon points out he is working to hard and orders him to take a vacation And he LISTENS, a time when he and Dick were still family, a time when he saw the Metal Men as crime fighting equals.

There is a great line in my favorite Batman story Generations Vol one. Bruce is talking to Alfred. He says "People got so used to seeing Batman they forgot to be scared of him." Alfred replies "More then enough in this world to be scared of. What the people need is a rock they can depend on." That is what Batman should be.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Bruce also wants to genuinely help people.
    Because he doesn't want others to suffer from the same pain that he suffered from. Bat's heroism comes from the place of pain while Supes' heroism comes from the place of hope. Its why Supes and Bats are good contrast to each other.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

You are most certainly not the only one who feels that way. My ideal Batman is one who never forgets his sense of humanity.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Because he doesn't want others to suffer from the same pain that he suffered from. Bat's heroism comes from the place of pain while Supes' heroism comes from the place of hope. Its why Supes and Bats are good contrast to each other.
    Eh, Batman is more complicated than that. He genuinely wants to help, it's not just because of the death of his parents.

Superman's heroism also comes from trauma. He lost his entire species and world. He exists in a melancholy world. They're not that different.

BANNED

Eh, Batman is more complicated than that. He genuinely wants to help, it's not just because of the death of his parents.

Superman's heroism also comes from trauma. He lost his entire species and world. He exists in a melancholy world. They're not that different.
    That's what makes them good contrast. Supes lost his whole home planet but because he landed on Earth when he was a baby and didn't have much emotional attachment to his world & his Kryptonian parents, he is a hopeful guy. Bats lost only his parents but because they were people whom Bats has the most emotional attachment to, he becomes a more vengeful guy.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 09-20-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    That's what makes them good contrast. Supes lost his whole home planet but because he landed on Earth when he was a baby and didn't have much emotional attachment to his world & his Kryptonian parents, he is a hopeful guy. Bats lost only his parents but because they were people whom Bats has the most emotional attachment to, he becomes a more vengeful guy.
    Saying Superman had no attachment to his species and planet because he was a baby has always been ludicrous to me. He's a Kryptonian, of course he feels the loss of his people and world. He has the dysphoria of any refugee. That's what fuels Superman.

Batman also has a lot more going on than "my parents died'.

BANNED

Saying Superman had no attachment to his species and planet because he was a baby has always been ludicrous to me. He's a Kryptonian, of course he feels the loss of his people and world. He has the dysphoria of any refugee. That's what fuels Superman.

Batman also has a lot more going on than "my parents died'.
    But lets say if Krypton was somehow brought back, would Superman choose to go back to Krypton or choose to stay on Earth? You know the answer. Earth is where his heart belongs to. Does Supes really have the dysphoria of a refugee? Did Clark Kent become Superman due the pain of losing his home planet? As a kid, the guy didn't even know about the loss of his people & planet and had a pretty much healthy childhood. Bats' childhood is however the opposite of that.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 09-21-2020 at 08:47 AM.