Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man: The Sins of Norman Osborn SPOILERS/DISCUSSION

Non-Spoiler Review: This was a big issue for Nick Spencer's run on this title and his overarching story of "Sins Rising." This issue gives a lot of context into the mindsets of each character and does a wonderful job bridging the gap between what we see and what we believe. The dynamic between Peter and Osborn is always amazing to see, and the motivations of everyone involved is clear. This was one of Spencer's best issues on this title. Spoilers to follow.

SPOILERS:
    spoilers:
    The issue begins with a recap of the story thus far from ASM #44, where Spencer focuses on Peter being "buried alive" by Kindred. We then jump to the newly formed Order of the Web, in which Julia Carpenter leads the group discussion in saying that the team was formed because the Web of Life and Destiny brought them together, and that it's crying out because her champion, Spider-Man, is going to die.
    As it turns out, each member of the team had a dream/vision of Spider-Man being killed in battle by a mysterious adversary. It happened at different places, either Queens, Avengers Mansion, ESU...but the killer was the same: Norman Osborn. Julia explains that stopping Spider-Man from saving Osborn prevents his death as well. Meanwhile, Spider-Man saves Osborn from Sin-Eater's goons and tag teams with him.
    Ghost Spider makes an interesting declaration that Spider-Man can't make a deal with the devil without paying the cost, which is why he's so adamant about not letting Sin-Eater "cure" him. The latter of which has turned up at Ravencroft, and we catch up with him since the last couple of issues.
    Sin-Eater was "praying" to Kindred (creepy) and asks him for a sign that he's still there. The mysterious follower from issue #47 comes back and says that he and Spider-Man have a bad history. Sin-Eater asks him to show himself, and then kills/cures him. As it turns out, the mysterious follower was Martin Li, formerly Mr. Negative!
    With Li's corrupting power, Sin-Eater turns the guards of Ravencroft against each other as his new followers.
    Spider-Man follows Osborn to his old cell and, to no surprise, it's a secret room that Norman used (interestingly, he was studying ESU). Osborn mentions that he has an inmate that he brought to Ravencroft to use against Sin-Eater, and discovers that he's gone from his cell. Osborn panics, saying the only people who should have access were himself...and Dr. Ashley Kafka, who's alive! She is corrupted by Sin-Eater with Mr. Negative's powers, and releases the secret inmate we saw in issue #43: the unstoppable Juggernaut!
    But before Juggernaut can take out Sin-Eater, he fires his gun.
    Back to the Order of the Web: Anya confronts the rest of the group asking why they didn't just tell Peter this, and Julia explains that it had to be his choice to make. The group all decides to join in hunting down Spider-Man, though Gwen is reluctant. Miles then pulls Julia aside and asks her what she saw, to which Julia says "something worse." She saw Kindred attack Peter, and is fully aware of his presence in the plan.
    Peter is enraged at Osborn for hiding Juggernaut and Dr. Kafka and Osborn tells him that he did it because he knows about Kindred and that he won't stop until they're both dead. Like it or not, they're now in this together "until the bitter end"...with Norman showing Peter his stash of Goblin gear.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Oh man, the Web of Life is basically the bloody Speed Force!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh man, the Web of Life is basically the bloody Speed Force!
    end of spoilers
    And what's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    And what's wrong with that?
    I mean, nothing really (I don't think it fits the franchise but that's neither here nor there), it's just kind of funny .

BANNED

Great issue.

Props to Spencer:

spoilers:
    A Norman Goblin and Spider-Man hero-villain teamup has never been done once before in 616 Spidey history
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Great issue.

Props to Spencer:

spoilers:
    A Norman Goblin and Spider-Man hero-villain teamup has never been done once before in 616 Spidey history
    end of spoilers
    Dang, you're right! I hadn't even considered that.

Great issue.

Props to Spencer:

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Peter is probably gonna take 20 showers after this, is probably one of the most unwelcome expiriences in his life.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Spencer said that Peter was making a choice many will debate for a long time and this is one of them.

Great issue.

Props to Spencer:

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I...think that's right? I dunno, it feels like something that's happened before in some shape or another.

Good issue !
    Peter is really set on his no-killing rule, but he is right on something.. letting Sin-Eater "purify" Norman and getting his powers is something that he must NOT let happen

Speaking of which, I really wonder how they plan to take down Eater, as he is getting stronger by the minute now

On another note.. anyone else notoced how 1 of Norman Mask in the final page kind of have Kindred's patterns/design?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I...think that's right? I dunno, it feels like something that's happened before in some shape or another.
    In 616 Marvel, never. In AU, I can't think of any but never to my knowledge.

Spider-Man teamed up with Harry Goblin at the end of Spec#200 and also Spider-Man 3 but never with OG.

I haven't gotten this issue yet, but what's the reading order? Does it go after #48 and before #49/850? Or before #48?

After 48, before 49/850

Arrow

Given my current boycott, Amazing #850 (legacy numbering) is the only Peter Parker related issue I might buy (aside from the Sin Eater stuff) because I'm expecting something big to happen.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

In 616 Marvel, never. In AU, I can't think of any but never to my knowledge.

Spider-Man teamed up with Harry Goblin at the end of Spec#200 and also Spider-Man 3 but never with OG.
    Weird. It feels like it's happened to me in at least some form, if only really briefly, but maybe I'm thinking of something else.