Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cover Contest 9/16-9/22 Back to the Kubert School Week

To celebrate my acquiring one of my comic grails (Son of Sinbad #1; 1950 with Kubert art) post a cover by a Kubert or Kubert school alum (Joe, Adam, Andy or any of number of folks who graduated from the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon Art before entering the comics field).

now let's see some more of that Kuberty goodness!

The RULES:
    1) Post One (& ONLY ONE) Cover that fits the theme of this Week's Contest!
    2) Cover must be from a Published Comic Book, Graphic Novel, or Collected Volume!
    3) Covers must be Posted before Voting Begins!
    4) Voting Begins 12 AM Wednesday PDT and Runs Until 12 AM Tuesday PDT (3 AM EDT)! (This is in US time)
    5) Vote by Posting the name in BOLD of the Poster whose cover best fits the theme or that you simply like the most! A vote need not be in bold, but it does make it easier to Count-The-Votes!
    6) The Winner of the Contest is the Entry with the MOST Votes after the Voting-Period!
    7) It's Okay to Discuss the Covers but if you Think Someone's Entry Doesn't Fit the Theme or Violates the Rules, you Don't need to Argue it in the thread, Simply Don't Vote for It!
    8) Plus: Occasionally Voting will Result in a Tie! The Person Who Started the Thread will do the Counting that Week will Usually call for a TIE-Breaking --Vote from Someone who has Not Yet Voted!
    9) AFTER the Tie-Breaker Vote, Voting Ends and the Winner is Declared by The One Who Started the Thread (or assigned surrogate) and Thus will do the Counting.
    10) HAVE FUN!

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Excellent contest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LordMikel; 09-16-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Great idea for this weeks contest. There are going to be some great entries. I missed my first choice by a couple minutes. Here is my second choice. A great Sgt Rock cover. The worry in his face says it all.

Attached Images Attached Images
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Last edited by Riv86672; 09-16-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Too...many...covers...to...choose...from...
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Last edited by nx01a; 09-16-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

According to her Wiki, Jenny Frison is an alumni, so here ya go.

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-16-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Posting this for an aid.
    In 1976, Kubert and his wife Muriel established The Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art in Dover, NJ. Today, The Kubert School is the country's only accredited trade school for comic-book artists, offering students a comprehensive three-year program. The first graduating class of 1978 included bestselling Swamp Thing artist Stephen R. Bissette, Tarzan artist Thomas Yeates, and Rick Veitch, creator of The One. Alumni include artists Kevin Colden, Amanda Conner, Shane Davis, Jan Duursema, Scott Kolins, Steve Lieber, Alex Maleev, Tom Mandrake, Rags Morales, Tom Raney, Bart Sears, Eric Shanower, and Timothy Truman; writer and inker Karl Kesel, Eisner award-nominated Jared K. Fletcher; acclaimed colorist Matt Hollingsworth; DC Comics VP of Manufacturing Administration Nick Napolitano, and Archie Comics President Mike Pellerito. Current faculty include his sons, the bestselling artists Adam and Andy Kubert, Mike Chen, Jan Duursema and others.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Amanda Conner's an alumni!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Posting this for an aid.
    Next time I'm in Dover, I'm going to drive past it or maybe walk past it. I think it's very cool that there is a school like this.

From the website, here are some alumni
    Last edited by Tami; 09-16-2020 at 04:00 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.