Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Men #12 spoilers (prelude to X of Swords)

This is a pretty dense story so it's hard to fully summarize it correctly.

First, we go back to the scene during the Cotati invasion where Summoner and Anole, Rockslide and Loa are playing a game. Santo and Summoner end up learning about eachothers' weakness (the later has the mutant power of invulnerability, except for his eyes).

Apoc comes to the scene and stops the game. He tells Summoner that he has built the External gate to Arrako (as seen on this week's issue of Excalibur). His plan involves sending Krakoa (!) to the Otherworld, but first he needs to hear from his grandchild what happened since Arrako was thrown into the chasm.

In the majority of the issue we get Summoner's account of the events, but it's not certain if we are meant to trust him or not. He starts way back from when Apoc threw his wife (Genesis, one half of the mystery woman from the FCBD issue) and his children (the og horsemen) into the chasm, a tale that has been known for the Arrakoans as an act of sacrifice for some and betrayal for others.

Arrako was thrown into Amneth, a fallen world which was before conquered by the White Sword - a mutant and an External. There the mutants raised a new mutant society not very dissimilar to Krakoa, built around ten towers.

Tragedy begins for Arakko as Idyll, a precog, propethized the fall of Arakko. Genesis led an army against the Amneth demons, but betrayal came from the White Sword, who was corrupted after living many years in Amneth, and had his own army and ressurection proccess.

Genesis survived, but suffered another betrayal from Isca, the Unbeaten, who has the power to never lose and thus was inclided to switch sides in the war. The later brought Genesis to face Annihilation, the god of Arakko (and the other half of the woman from the FCBD issue). Genesis lost, Arrako fell after thousand years of war and Summoner was sent to our world in hope that Apoc could save them.

After the story, we see Apoc watching while Banshee, Unus and Summoner lead into the External gate that was built in this week's Excalibur issue. Summoner ensures that everything will work and Apoc will be heralded as an hero of Arakko, but his words sound very suspicious.

--

Oof! A great issue. Lots of heavy worldbuilding and mysterious new characters at play here, which is all very excting! Have Genesis and Annihilation actually became one person? This is all what Hickman has always excelled at so no surprise here. The only thing that bothered me was the inconsistent colouring of Genesis' skin, but hopefully that will be fixed down the line. Now onto X of Swords
    Last edited by nandes; 09-16-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

Just like with Moria X i get the feeling we as readers should not blindly trust any of these major re-tellings of history if they come from an in universe character or their memories.

The bit about a precog fortelling the fall of Arrako in particular sounds especialy suspicious.

There is a lot to process in this comic. What appears to be "just backstory of Arakko" has interesting parallels with Krakoa, such as his own resurrection processes or how precognitive ones affect their destiny.

Everything feels epic and strange. I'm looking forward to X of Swords. Apocalypse has dragged all mutants into a war they didn't ask for.

By the way, Genesis is probably an ancestor of Storm right?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    There is a lot to process in this comic. What appears to be "just backstory of Arakko" has interesting parallels with Krakoa, such as his own resurrection processes or how precognitive ones affect their destiny.

Everything feels epic and strange. I'm looking forward to X of Swords. Apocalypse has dragged all mutants into a war they didn't ask for.

Isn't Storm maybe romantically involved with one of her sons? Who was that guy she was dancing with on the Marauders cover?

This felt very much like a Claremont issue and I dont mean that as a compliment

Now we know why Evan was killed off. Other than not wanting clones.

BANNED

mama this is fashion, this is high art, this is for the arts AND the charts

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Isn't Storm maybe romantically involved with one of her sons? Who was that guy she was dancing with on the Marauders cover?
    I don't think she's going to be romantically involved with that character, I think it's just a cover that represents "dancing with Death". But Genesis is quite similar to Storm and we know that she had ancestors in Egypt.

Astonishing Member

I think it’s possible but the coloring for her character is inconsistent. Technically she can be white/Arab or whatever she’s supposed to be and her descendant can still be black but idk. The lifting of mutantkind part from the Giant-Size Storm issue does mean they might have some connection though. Though Storm also said she was a goddess and this issue we see a goddess that’s also been depicted with dark skin so maybe Annihilation is an ancestor of some kind too?
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-16-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    There was already a Genesis related with Apocalypse before Evan, this is the third

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    when did Evan die? I might have missed the issue

BANNED

nevermind, apparently Evan died somewhere in Age of X-man, that's kind of lame.

Yeah I like Evan. He can go by Kid Genesis if he comes back.

Can someone clear something up for me. So Genesis the wife died in duel? Or she joined the side of Annihalation?

In before the fans who hate reading.

Astonishing Member

Interesting indeed. I recently started to speculate that Moira herself might be a pregocnitive instead of universe resetter so she herself might essentialy be the counterpart to the one from Summoner's story.

Which would make it a dark irony how she is so afraid of precogs telling everyone they are always going to lose, considering it's her own perception of the future, with no other person around to actualy proof or deny it, thanks to said fear.

Apocalypse has dragged all mutants into a war they didn't ask for.
    If we take the 10 of Swords card from the free comic book issue as hint towards the death of certain characters over the course of this story (death in the sense that something will prevent them from being brought back until Dawn of X is over) than Apocalypse might actualy pay the price for it. Just speculating of course.

At this point i wouldn't be surprised. I got the impression over the years that when writers didn't knew what to do with Storm character wise they either gave her some super impressive display of power (usualy just involving lightning and/or wind), some powerfull tool (an asgardian hammer) or made her connected to someone important from past or present.
    Which, in my somewhat jaded opinion, never quite helped the character, since it didn't seem to get her anywhere more interesting for readers.
    The grander and grander they tried to make her, the less interesting she seems to become for the audience or at least following writers.

So yeah wouldn't be suprised if Genesis/Annihilation is related to her.