Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

It’s so nice to have the X Men being spearheaded by someone writing for both next week and creating worlds for others to play with for the next few decades. The idea of proto-mutants, a mutant society lost through time and developing their own culture, the chance to really delve into the ways of a history of mutants that started before the 1960s(ish) when Xavier opened that home for abusing mutant children, or some ill defined Egyptian society that’s not relevant beyond costuming, or some cosmic rooster. It’s like mutants are about to discover their own library of Alexandria, and they’re sentient! I love this era so much.

I just went back to reread the fraction Utopia era just for the comparison. Truly the lost era.

Who will be the new Hyperion/Thor beard bromance? Easy money is Logan/Scott. I'm thinking Magneto/Exodus though.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by silence. View Post
    It’s so nice to have the X Men being spearheaded by someone writing for both next week and creating worlds for others to play with for the next few decades. The idea of proto-mutants, a mutant society lost through time and developing their own culture, the chance to really delve into the ways of a history of mutants that started before the 1960s(ish) when Xavier opened that home for abusing mutant children, or some ill defined Egyptian society that’s not relevant beyond costuming, or some cosmic rooster. It’s like mutants are about to discover their own library of Alexandria, and they’re sentient! I love this era so much.

I just went back to reread the fraction Utopia era just for the comparison. Truly the lost era.
    very much so, arrako is both mutants past BUT CAN BE THEIR FUTURE, because they also created a new society and did wonderfull things, but over time became corrupted, it's what happened to krakoa in life 9.

Maybe mutant's of either side need to come together to truly find a path forward, it's extremely exciting

One thing that I really like about how they have reinterpreted Apocalypse is how visually there is much more impact on his Egyptian origins, for example in the designs of Genesis or the Four Original Horsemen.

Add to that the added emotional and philosophical depth to Apocalypse and his motivations, he doesn't feel like "Thanos/Darkseid mutant wannabe" anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    One thing that I really like about how they have reinterpreted Apocalypse is how visually there is much more impact on his Egyptian origins, for example in the designs of Genesis or the Four Original Horsemen.

Add to that the added emotional and philosophical depth to Apocalypse and his motivations, he doesn't feel like "Thanos/Darkseid mutant wannabe" anymore.
    and I know it makes some roll their eyes, but genesis being clearly black makes the horsemen as well, we can always use some more diverstiy in the x-men's repertoir of characters!

Deodato deserves most of the credit for the Black Order, imo. Artists always seem to get the short end of the stick, even when it comes to creating characters who stand out thanks to their visual design and not their memorable personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Deodato deserves most of the credit for the Black Order, imo. Artists always seem to get the short end of the stick, even when it comes to creating characters who stand out thanks to their visual design and not their memorable personalities.
    You are completely right

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Yeah you are 100 % right, glad pepe larraz is getting it's credit right now

Astonishing Member

Maybe a silly question, but when was the last time any the "Four Horseman" actualy rode any kind of horses?

I remember the (canoncial) first Pestilence, Famine and War rode some flying robot horses in order to fit their title, with Angel having no need for it. But past that i have the feeling every other incarnation of them were more "in title only", out of obligation to refer to the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" from the bible.

Now we even have the (in universe supposedly) first Horsemen and not only do they never seem to have even needed horses, but potentialy come from a time when horseback riding wasn't even widespread outside of the central eurasian tribes yet.

Besides, what need would powerfull mutants have for horseback riding as their defining role, when their powers make riding a less important factor in Warfare, nomadic life or need for them as status symbol?

So considering all the other retcons, shouldn't writers come up with a new name for them?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but when was the last time any the "Four Horseman" actualy rode any kind of horses?

I remember the (canoncial) first Pestilence, Famine and War rode some flying robot horses in order to fit their title, with Angel having no need for it. But past that i have the feeling every other incarnation of them were more "in title only", out of obligation to refer to the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" from the bible.

Now we even have the (in universe supposedly) first Horsemen and not only do they never seem to have even needed horses, but potentialy come from a time when horseback riding wasn't even widespread outside of the central eurasian tribes yet.

Besides, what need would powerfull mutants have for horseback riding as their defining role, when their powers make riding a less important factor in Warfare, nomadic life or need for them as status symbol?

So considering all the other retcons, shouldn't writers come up with a new name for them?
    Bendis had an alternate future version of the Horsemen where their bottom halves were horses

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

It may be one of those cases where "horseman" is an inaccurate translation of what they were called in their day. After all, En Sabah Nur is also a meaningless name.

At the end of the day En Sabbah Nur is also a name that does not make sense, since it is a name using Arabic words of a person who was born thousands and thousands of years before that language existed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Bendis had an alternate future version of the Horsemen where their bottom halves were horses (Pic)
    For some reason that reminds me to the toyline comics Marvel produced in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It may be one of those cases where "horseman" is an inaccurate translation of what they were called in their day. After all, En Sabah Nur is also a meaningless name.

At the end of the day En Sabbah Nur is also a name that does not make sense, since it is a name using Arabic words of a person who was born thousands and thousands of years before that language existed.
    That sounds like a good No-Price explanation. Well done.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Bendis had an alternate future version of the Horsemen where their bottom halves were horses

Man, those are ugly as sin.

Astonishing Member

"Bad ideas should die bad deaths"-Nimrod the Lesser

May we never see these designs again.