Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    I don't think Brian Azzarello is the worst Wonder Woman's writer. That place can be given to Finch for his god-awful God of War arc.
    With Azzarello, for me at least, I wouldn't rank him as the worst because I at least really liked her for the most part. The same can't be said for how Finch, Robinson or Wilson wrote her.
    Where he falls short is the changes to her origins and the Amazons.

He basically wrote an awesome Image comic about a Wonder Woman expy dealing with Greek gods in the modern age, it just happened to be published as actual Wonder Woman where a lot of the ideas don't quite work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    With Azzarello, for me at least, I wouldn't rank him as the worst because I at least really liked her for the most part. The same can't be said for how Finch, Robinson or Wilson wrote her.
    Where he falls short is the changes to her origins and the Amazons.

He basically wrote an awesome Image comic about a Wonder Woman expy dealing with Greek gods in the modern age, it just happened to be published as actual Wonder Woman where a lot of the ideas don't quite work.
    Wait, David Finch has a creator owned book... I never heard about it until now. Can you please tell me the title of that book?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Wait, David Finch has a creator owned book... I never heard about it until now. Can you please tell me the title of that book?
    Oh no, I meant that Azzarello's WW would have been better as an Image title about a Wonder Woman expy, but it didn't work as a run about mainstream Wonder Woman herself and specifically her Amazons.
    Sorry, should have worded that better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Oh no, I meant that Azzarello's WW would have been better as an Image title about a Wonder Woman expy, but it didn't work as a run about mainstream Wonder Woman herself and specifically her Amazons.
    Sorry, should have worded that better.
    Lol, and here I was surprised that Finch had a Wonder Woman expy title.

I don't think Brian Azzarello is the worst Wonder Woman's writer. That place can be given to Finch for his god-awful God of War arc.
    I'm largely neutral on Azzarello. Diana herself and the basic overarching plot I think are fine for the most part but stuff like Zeus daddy and the Amazons go too much against the underlying basis of the character for my tastes.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm largely neutral on Azzarello. Diana herself and the basic overarching plot I think are fine for the most part but stuff like Zeus daddy and the Amazons go too much against the underlying basis of the character for my tastes.

I'll admit the Zeus-daddy and the portrayal of the Amazons as man-killing, baby-trading, sex-pirates was the worst of Azzarello's run but his writing for Diana herself wasn't much better. We went from scenes where she says she loves everyone and showed great compassion to other scenes where she crunches Orion's testicles, impales Strife's hand with a broken liquor glass, and then kills her mentor Ares because suddenly, she thinks killing the victim is better than killing the aggressor(First Born).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

So for me it's Superman...

Best: Alan Moore, although Grant Morrison is a close 2nd

Worst: Chuck Austen

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'll admit the Zeus-daddy and the portrayal of the Amazons as man-killing, baby-trading, sex-pirates was the worst of Azzarello's run but his writing for Diana herself wasn't much better. We went from scenes where she says she loves everyone and showed great compassion to other scenes where she crunches Orion's testicles, impales Strife's hand with a broken liquor glass, and then kills her mentor Ares because suddenly, she thinks killing the victim is better than killing the aggressor(First Born).
    Yeah, some of the tonal whiplash of the series could get rather off-putting, mainly the stuff with Orion.

Superman: Best Dan Jurgens. Worst: Joe Casey

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    Superman: Best Dan Jurgens. Worst: Joe Casey
    Oh, this is new, why do you think Joe Casey is the worst because I believe his Superman: Adventure is one of the best Superman's stories out there?

Fantastic Member

Black Canary

Best: Gail Simone
    Worst: Andrew Kreisberg (seriously, it was an abomination. He did everything he could to show how much he hated the character and then continued the treatment on the show "Arrow")

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman
    Best:siegel, moore and Morrison

Worst:Nobody. best writers could screw up superman and make him boring. So i am not good enough a judge.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-18-2020 at 09:14 AM.

What about DC YOU era's great stuffs? I don't think there is any good series coming from that era.
    Cyborg was great, Grayson is rightfully well-liked, Batgirl was good (excepting that one transphobic issue obvs), Superman's Truth arc is woefully underrated. There's a lot of good stuff from that era. That's just the stuff I can think of from the top of my head.

As for the prompt:

I don't know if I have a single favorite and least favorite Superman writer.

Siegel is up there. I'm actually not so sold on Alan Moore. I love him on Supreme, but that's not quite the same thing, even though it is largely the same thing - but I think all his Superman stories have things I really dislike about them.

Now Grant Morrison certainly created a nearly (but not fully) perfect blueprint for the 21st century Man of Tomorrow, which DC then unceremoniously ignored.

And Gene Luen Yang has certainly distinguished himself with "Superman Smashes the Klan," which will I hope stand the test of time for as long as Superman stories are told!

Least favorite, might be

Brian Chard
    Dominic Cianciolo
    John Vogel
    Jon Greenberg

who are the writers listed for Injustice Gods Among Us? I've got no time for a version of Superman which starts at the conceit that he's the worst person imaginable, and works backwards, and while I understand that some good comics have come out about that working backwards, the conceit is still bad. And the fact that the Real Superman shows up at the end of Injustice to fight the fascist one doesn't help, because it creates the very real sense, as it was meant to, that "one bad day" is what separates Superman from being a fascist, as opposed to an entire character concept worth of lazy writing and bad ideas.
    Last edited by Adekis; 09-18-2020 at 09:06 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Cyborg was great, Grayson is rightfully well-liked, Batgirl was good (excepting that one transphobic issue obvs), Superman's Truth arc is woefully underrated. There's a lot of good stuff from that era. That's just the stuff I can think of from the top of my head.

As for the prompt:

I don't know if I have a single favorite and least favorite Superman writer.

Grant Morrison certainly created a near-perfect blueprint for the 21st century Man of Tomorrow, which DC then unceremoniously ignored.

Least favorite, might be

Brian Chard
    Dominic Cianciolo
    John Vogel
    Jon Greenberg

who are the writers listed for Injustice Gods Among Us? I've got no time for a version of Superman which starts at the conceit that he's the worst person imaginable, and works backwards, and while I understand that some good comics have come out about that working backwards, the conceit is still bad. And the fact that the Real Superman shows up at the end of Injustice to fight the fascist one doesn't help, because it creates the very real sense, as it was meant to, that "one bad day" is what separates Superman from being a fascist, as opposed to an entire character concept worth of lazy writing and bad ideas.
    Injustice Gods Among Us? Tom Taylor, Brian Bucellato, and Ed Boon (I don't know if Ed Boon was one of the writers, but he makes the game). To be fair while I hate the story, but the comics are suprisingly written really, really well for a game tie in.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm actually not so sold on Alan Moore.
    I said moore cause of for the man who has everything. That story just speaks to me in general.Heck! The main reason i became superman fan other than the trunks. I am a phantom fan. So the trunks gained my attention.There are couple of other stories in silverage that i absolutely adore. but i don't remember author names.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-18-2020 at 09:20 AM.