Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a good question! I don't read many comics beyond Superman, so I'm not the best person to ask - but getting Tom Taylor or Tom King (I know he's done some stories, just not the main line) on the books might be interesting.

But honestly, I'd like to find a group to put together for a sort of neo-Triangle team. People who work well together but have different ways of looking at things. That way you get the best of both worlds.
    Tom Taylor is another choice that I believe will do Superman justice. I think people here forget that while he writes Injustice, he also writes a well Superman in DCEased and he writes an incredible run on Laura Kinney in All-New Wolverine and Peter in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. The problem with Injustice is I believe with Ed Boon and WB who imposed that shitty story to him, but even then he did a hell out of job to make those Injustice comics well written for trash concept. Tom King is a much better choice then Tom Taylor, because of his personall-story fits Clark better. But, I believe after HiC and Batman, people won't expect him on big flagship book for a while and not to mention with New Gods movie on horizon, we will see him on more prestige format books. But, a Black Label book about Superman by him would be nice though.

A triangle team would be nice if it's like BND Spider-Man or 52. Because three books for one stories would be overkill.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think you would definitely enjoy Venditti getting one of the books. He has a similar writing style to Jurgens imo, except his Zod is leagues better
    Never trust Johns, Jurgens, and Rob Williams on Zod. They will mess him up.

I think you would definitely enjoy Venditti getting one of the books. He has a similar writing style to Jurgens imo, except his Zod is leagues better
    lol! Sounds good to me, I'm willing to give just about anybody a chance with it - I even had no opinion of Bendis before he came on the books, and while some things were a hot mess, his voice for Clark himself is kind of a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Never trust Johns, Jurgens, and Rob Williams on Zod. They will mess him up.
    Speaking as the resident Jurgens fanboy here (lol), I will say that Jurgens is happy to play in (almost) whatever sandbox he's given (New52 notwithstanding). So if you tell him "ok, here's the current characterization for Zod" he could run with it. His recent crack at him was heavily influenced by some of his other then-recent appearances (Suicide Squad, iirc) - if the "Zod family" thing had happened first, I don't think his Zod would have been quite like that. Since we also know that Johns was, for some crazy reason, giving him marching orders (Johns was the one, again iirc, who had him bring in Doomsday again - Jurgens said it wasn't his idea), that might also have a LOT to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Tom Taylor is another choice that I believe will do Superman justice. I think people here forget that while he writes Injustice, he also writes a well Superman in DCEased and he writes an incredible run on Laura Kinney in All-New Wolverine and Peter in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. The problem with Injustice is I believe with Ed Boon and WB who imposed that shitty story to him, but even then he did a hell out of job to make those Injustice comics well written for trash concept. Tom King is a much better choice then Tom Taylor, because of his personal story fits Clark better. But, I believe after HiC and Batman, people won't expect him on big flagship book for a while and not to mention with New Gods movie on horizon, we will see him on more prestige format books. But, a Black Label book about Superman by him would be nice though.
    Yeah, I think either would be good, really.

A triangle team would be nice if it's like BND Spider-Man or 52. Because three books for one stories would be overkill.
    Three books for one story - you mean running the story running across all titles each month? I think that's a better way to sell the series, honestly. Each book, much like the original Triangle books, could still focus on side stories of their own while furthering the main plotline. If the writers are right, anyway.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think Jimenez has said elsewhere he can't really keep up with monthly anymore, so you'd probably get one or other as writer/artist but not both.
    That would be a difficult choice, as I really love him as both a writer and artist. I'd take either, but I think I'd go with him as a writer. Just looking at how good he was writing Wonder Woman. I think I'd rather see that kind of focus and vision for Superman, and find someone else very good to do the art.
    I think it's harder to find a writer who can do Superman right than a great artist, and from his past work I think Jimenez would be a great choice to write Superman.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Retcon everything Bendis did

Make proper reference to Miracle Monday

Give us some more Clark Kent investigative journalist stories from time to time

Show Superman being super smart

Acknowledge the SuperLex era and how genuine he was while retaining the character as an antagonist.

Bring back Emil Hamilton

Bring back Jenet Klyburn
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

While triangle stories are good for when you’re reading it the first time, they’re an immense pain for rereading and continuity tracking.

I prefer everything to be in one series.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Oh man that would be amazing. I kind of want Phil to just design everything for the major properties, but the effort would kill the poor man lol.

We should find a way to clone him so we can have an art team of Jimenezes free to work on Wonder Woman, a Titans relaunch, Superman...

Writing wise, I'd take him back on Wonder Woman in a heartbeat. He really should have been on speed dial as soon as Rucka's departure was announced (though maybe he was offered and declined?).

If she was interested, DeConnick and him as co-writers would probably yield something great.
    Yeah, definitely would have taken him over most of what followed Rucka

But yeah, give him a few years and let him go nuts on redesigning Krypton, the Fortress, Themyscira, Oa, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That would be a difficult choice, as I really love him as both a writer and artist. I'd take either, but I think I'd go with him as a writer. Just looking at how good he was writing Wonder Woman. I think I'd rather see that kind of focus and vision for Superman, and find someone else very good to do the art.
    I think it's harder to find a writer who can do Superman right than a great artist, and from his past work I think Jimenez would be a great choice to write Superman.
    He wrote him a bit in his WW run though a lot of that was caught up in OWAW tie-in stuff and it's fallout so yeah, would be interesting to see him explore Supes without all that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    He wrote him a bit in his WW run though a lot of that was caught up in OWAW tie-in stuff and it's fallout so yeah, would be interesting to see him explore Supes without all that.
    Yeah I definitely wasn't thrilled with Superman's portrayal in his run, but it was crossover stuff he had no control over and he probably did the best he could with what was given.

I'd be down to give him another shot if he was every interested in doing the character proper

Start from scratch and use the original silver age stories as a template.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

My greatest wish is he brings Yang along to co-write or helm the book Waid himself isn't writing. I think those two would really get a good status quo going and write some terrific stories if they were there to challenge each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    My greatest wish is he brings Yang along to co-write or helm the book Waid himself isn't writing. I think those two would really get a good status quo going and write some terrific stories if they were there to challenge each other.
    We may end up getting the next teams this week since a bunch of creators were already teasing their future DC work, so I’m going to list the four guys who seem to me to be the most likely:

Mark Waid - He wants it more than anything else, the two biggest roadblocks in Didio and Harras are gone, and he’s already doing work for them again. Apparently DC has asked him to take over GL after Morrison but Waid could still write two books, GL and Superman or Action.

Robert Venditti - He loves Superman and with Hawkman wrapping up he doesn’t have anything on his plate. He already is working on another DC project going off his Twitter, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he has one of the books. He’s write a fine “classic” Superman take, which is why I’d prefer he be paired with someone more experimental on the other Superman book if he gets one.

Gene Yang - This is more of a gut feeling than anything but Yang isn’t doing any other big DC work, he’s already done fantastic Superman work that redeemed him after his New 52 misfire with New Super-Man and Smashes The Klan. He and Bendis seem to be tight and I could see Yang getting Action to go with either Venditti or Waid on Superman since Yang hasn’t written Action.

Tom Taylor - He’s going to get one of the Superbooks eventually, just a a matter of when despite my own dislike of how he writes Supes. His Injustice and DCeased books are top sellers, he has repeatedly said he wants to write mainline Superman, and he has multiple DC books in the pipeline according to his Twitter despite Suicide Squad flopping. Assuming one of them isn’t Injustice 3, wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s on one of the Superbooks.

So in order of the duo I’d want on the books from most to least its
    Waid/Yang
    Venditti/Yang
    Waid/Venditti
    Yang/Taylor
    Waid/Taylor
    Venditti/Taylor

I just hope we don’t get one person writing both books again, I want some variety.

We may end up getting the next teams this week since a bunch of creators were already teasing their future DC work, so I’m going to list the four guys who seem to me to be the most likely:

Mark Waid - He wants it more than anything else, the two biggest roadblocks in Didio and Harras are gone, and he’s already doing work for them again. Apparently DC has asked him to take over GL after Morrison but Waid could still write two books, GL and Superman or Action.

Robert Venditti - He loves Superman and with Hawkman wrapping up he doesn’t have anything on his plate. He already is working on another DC project going off his Twitter, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he has one of the books. He’s write a fine “classic” Superman take, which is why I’d prefer he be paired with someone more experimental on the other Superman book if he gets one.

Gene Yang - This is more of a gut feeling than anything but Yang isn’t doing any other big DC work, he’s already done fantastic Superman work that redeemed him after his New 52 misfire with New Super-Man and Smashes The Klan. He and Bendis seem to be tight and I could see Yang getting Action to go with either Venditti or Waid on Superman since Yang hasn’t written Action.

Tom Taylor - He’s going to get one of the Superbooks eventually, just a a matter of when despite my own dislike of how he writes Supes. His Injustice and DCeased books are top sellers, he has repeatedly said he wants to write mainline Superman, and he has multiple DC books in the pipeline according to his Twitter despite Suicide Squad flopping. Assuming one of them isn’t Injustice 3, wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s on one of the Superbooks.

So in order of the duo I’d want on the books from most to least its
    Waid/Yang
    Venditti/Yang
    Waid/Venditti
    Yang/Taylor
    Waid/Taylor
    Venditti/Taylor

I just hope we don’t get one person writing both books again, I want some variety.
    Your list pretty much mirrors my own in terms of preference. Glad to see I'm not crazy or that I'm at least not alone in it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Venditti superbooks are boring as heck!.it's the same old nonsense. Waid or yang for me. Taylor is too much about "classic" superman . Waid and yang would atleast draw from a broader perspective with something new added.I hope they do something about superman having a boring personality. Even if they do the old "classic" nonsense with "i hold back and i am example to mankind" clark. I hope whomever takesover has something good and genre specific for jon.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Venditti superbooks are boring as heck!.it's the same old nonsense. Waid or yang for me. Taylor is too much about "classic" superman . Waid and yang would atleast draw from a broader perspective with something new added.I hope they do something about superman having a boring personality. Even if they do the old "classic" nonsense with "i hold back and i am example to mankind" clark. I hope whomever takesover has something good and genre specific for jon.
    None of the writers in the conversation think Superman has a boring personality so you're not going to enjoy any of them. Yang really loves the classic Superman, as does Waid. As do Taylor and Venditti. As always, you're alone on a Superman fan board thinking everything about Superman for the last 70 years is boring.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    None of the writers in the conversation think Superman has a boring personality so you're not going to enjoy any of them. Yang really loves the classic Superman, as does Waid. As do Taylor and Venditti. As always, you're alone on a Superman fan board thinking everything about Superman for the last 70 years is boring.
    I don't think so. Birthright is different than nonsense like secret origins. Waid superman has fairly some of the goldenage spark. Superman's personality is boring when he goes "hope harder, be good or shine brighter. Hey kids! Don't do drugs" . He is a stick. He is metropolis's dad. There is a conversation between lois and clark in venditti's superbook which made me drop it with lois "why do people bet on wrong thing?" or something like that. When i read it again as someone mentioned up in the sky, i was disappointed. The book was about superman actually accepting a fight, losing on purpose and tricking an honorable opponent. That was disrespectful for me. If i challenge superman i don't want him treating it like a joke or as if i am a kid. Really?yuck!. The only thing i didn't like about birthright is the mom making costume nonsense. The suit wasn't for fluff or for people to go "awww! Shucks!". Granted, waid does do nonsense like that with kingdom come(yuck!). "gosh! Peop-i mean kids don't follow my example. How horrible!!! I am gonna throw a fit like a spacedad i am and be very, very disappointed at them". The character has issues. It's like they don't even know what they are proposing the character be.

Not really, i appreciate things that are worth it. Byrne's built a fantastic metropolis and cast. He had some good stories. I like many of the morality plays of the silverage and bronze. Some things are genuinely funny when superman is a dick. What i hate is nonsense done badly. Even silverage superboy concept implemented by geoff johns. But, it was blind nostalgia. It wasn't done in a good way. On the other hand, tomasi's jon is really how silverage superboy should be done. All i want is creativity(a voice) , entertainment with essence on the side.

I want a badass strongman who goes all out fighting for those that can't fight for themselves, truth, justice winking at camera and smiling even when he is up against the wall. Or at the very least, be someone has something to say that's worth it and has actual meaning . That the world actually needs.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-28-2020 at 12:44 AM.