Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Although in all fairness, the worst of the SuperMarriage has veered between edge and the exact type of toothless wholesomeness that Siegel was wary of. I still like it though, even if I think it’s often failed to live up to its potential.
    I think the toothless wholesomeness has been a problem for Superman for a while and it's not solely due to the marriage. But it does contribute to it in its own way.

I really don't think a marriage between Superman and Lois should be as boring as it often is considering how utterly batshit crazy both of them are capable of being, but they somehow manage it.

Let's be honest, the only way the marriage really hold Superman writers back, is that it don't allow them to make Clark having romantic adventures with other women, unless the decide to make him a cheater and of an *******, otherwise they can tell basically every adventure they want to.

A possible solution, for a writer that wants to tell a bachelor Superman story, is to tell a tale set on the past, like Snyder did with Zero Year. They can just make an entire arc set on the past or use flashbacks, maybe even do what Aaron did with his Thor run for a while, and tell the story of a young Superman at the same time he tell the story of currently Superman.

Back to Waid, I would like to see him do what he did with Daredevil, he didn't denied anything that came before his run, but the shift in tone was so big, that it felt like he was retconning stuff when he was actually building on the previous run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Let's be honest, the only way the marriage really hold Superman writers back, is that it don't allow them to make Clark having romantic adventures with other women, unless the decide to make him a cheater and of an *******, otherwise they can tell basically every adventure they want to.

A possible solution, for a writer that wants to tell a bachelor Superman story, is to tell a tale set on the past, like Snyder did with Zero Year. They can just make an entire arc set on the past or use flashbacks, maybe even do what Aaron did with his Thor run for a while, and tell the story of a young Superman at the same time he tell the story of currently Superman.

Back to Waid, I would like to see him do what he did with Daredevil, he didn't denied anything that came before his run, but the shift in tone was so big, that it felt like he was retconning stuff when he was actually building on the previous run.
    They should. But I think the issue is we're not seeing them, or other key characteristics of Superman.

Which is more likely because most writers for the character are just not suited for him or aren't pulling in the stuff some readers want, and the marriage gets scapegoated because of it. When the version of the character that's married may still likely be boring if we remove Lois from the equation.

I'd be down to see an older version of T-shirt and jeans Superman who still had that fire and was also got married to a Lois with all her own facets. But it seems like we get one or the other, but never both together.

I'm actually ok with Waid not getting back on Superman. If we're bringing back voices, I'd like Louise Simonson.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm actually ok with Waid not getting back on Superman. If we're bringing back voices, I'd like Louise Simonson.
    If you had to pick someone who hasn’t gotten the books before, who would you pick?

Phil Jimenez did the Superwoman title. I think he could be one of the best candidates to write and draw a Superman title.
    Steve Orlando wrote Supergirl, and could also write a good Superman title I think.
    I think both of them could write to Superman's strengths and do interesting things with him.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Phil Jimenez did the Superwoman title. I think he could be one of the best candidates to write and draw a Superman title.
    Steve Orlando wrote Supergirl, and could also write a good Superman title I think.
    I think both of them could write to Superman's strengths and do interesting things with him.
    I'd be down for Jimenez.
    I'd also love Tim Seeley to get a crack at it.

Ideally we'd get Hickman and/or Ewing at some point. They are the best possible new to the character big names we could get.

Man, looking at Historia, if they were to ever give Jimenez a run, they would also be wise to give free reign to redesign Krypton on the Fortress and stuff. Get rid of the Donner crystal imagery and he'll whip up something new and beautiful I'd bet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

If you had to pick someone who hasn’t gotten the books before, who would you pick?
    If you ask me then it would be Kieron Gillen, because he had this unconventional way of thinking that might be bringing new things to Superman book and I loved the stuff he did with Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt, Young Avengers, Thor, and JiM. But, especially with Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt, he showed that he can write a comic like Morrisson and Moore so I would be interest in his 'The best superman stories haven’t got the actual superman in them'.

Edit: Any of you who loved his stuff and Superman must read his Super-Man script entitled 'Super-Man Saves a Cat from Tree.'. Yeah, that's right, it's not Superman, it's Super-Man

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Think Jimenez has said elsewhere he can't really keep up with monthly anymore, so you'd probably get one or other as writer/artist but not both.

That's a good question! I don't read many comics beyond Superman, so I'm not the best person to ask - but getting Tom Taylor or Tom King (I know he's done some stories, just not the main line) on the books might be interesting.

But honestly, I'd like to find a group to put together for a sort of neo-Triangle team. People who work well together but have different ways of looking at things. That way you get the best of both worlds.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

It's funny to think that OMD might've saved Peter's relationship with MJ rather than hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Man, looking at Historia, if they were to ever give Jimenez a run, they would also be wise to give free reign to redesign Krypton on the Fortress and stuff. Get rid of the Donner crystal imagery and he'll whip up something new and beautiful I'd bet.
    Oh man that would be amazing. I kind of want Phil to just design everything for the major properties, but the effort would kill the poor man lol.

We should find a way to clone him so we can have an art team of Jimenezes free to work on Wonder Woman, a Titans relaunch, Superman...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think Jimenez has said elsewhere he can't really keep up with monthly anymore, so you'd probably get one or other as writer/artist but not both.
    Writing wise, I'd take him back on Wonder Woman in a heartbeat. He really should have been on speed dial as soon as Rucka's departure was announced (though maybe he was offered and declined?).

If she was interested, DeConnick and him as co-writers would probably yield something great.

Censorship Sucks

to leave quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's a good question! I don't read many comics beyond Superman, so I'm not the best person to ask - but getting Tom Taylor or Tom King (I know he's done some stories, just not the main line) on the books might be interesting.

But honestly, I'd like to find a group to put together for a sort of neo-Triangle team. People who work well together but have different ways of looking at things. That way you get the best of both worlds.
    I think you would definitely enjoy Venditti getting one of the books. He has a similar writing style to Jurgens imo, except his Zod is leagues better