Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default Grayson: the best or worst of the new 52?

Do you think that Grayson was the best example of what the new 52 could have been ?
    Do you think that the series should return in the future or is it the worse idea that you ever heard of?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not really coz they make a big deal of forbidding Dick from telling anyone he's still alive only to not do anything about it. There's a potential plot there involving spying, mind reading and hypnosis against the Bat-family that they didn't use
    Although in comparison to other titles published at the time, especially during DC You, it's one of the better ones
    Certainly not the worst

Not really coz the character himself doesn't enjoy being a spy even if he's capable. Dick is a performer and he can act, but he openly enjoys being a hero and the theatrics of it. So while it's an interesting setup, definitely more interesting than average Nightwing story, it's not something he himself in-story want to do. So if he's doing spy stuffs, I need a different pitch.

Best Dick Grayson has ever been :,)
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

considering what they just did to Nightwing, it was way way better then people give it credit for. Art was definetly really good.

wasn't Grasyon part of Rebirth?

For New 52 you've got to go back further like 2011 to rebirth. I think the early books for the New 52, especially some of the lesser known titles had the most promise and appeal. But times changed, slaes weren't there and comcis don't sell like they did in the 90s.
    The J-man

It was a great series! I definitely prefer him as Nightwing, but it was still a nice side-bar for the character. Definitely one of the best comics of the New 52 era.

BANNED

Grayson is definetly a great series, especially when King is still on board of that project. After his departure, the series had a bit downgrade in quality, but overall it's still one of the better series in DC YOU era. Still though if it's the best of New 52, I think that's not as the best series in New 52 is Jeff Lemire's Animal Man. That's the blueprint that DC should use if they reboot something.

Loved the series

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Not really coz they make a big deal of forbidding Dick from telling anyone he's still alive only to not do anything about it. There's a potential plot there involving spying, mind reading and hypnosis against the Bat-family that they didn't use
    Although in comparison to other titles published at the time, especially during DC You, it's one of the better ones
    Certainly not the worst

Not really coz the character himself doesn't enjoy being a spy even if he's capable. Dick is a performer and he can act, but he openly enjoys being a hero and the theatrics of it. So while it's an interesting setup, definitely more interesting than average Nightwing story, it's not something he himself in-story want to do. So if he's doing spy stuffs, I need a different pitch.
    Grayson is my favorite dick grayson solo run. I prefer dick grayson who plays in the greater dcu sandbox, that the best dick grayson to me. But can I ask what was it that dick didn't like about being a spy?

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

The idea and the reasons were really bad. Dick has to be center of the DCU and not isolated, and I like him as a superhero not as a spy.
    Said that, the execution was perfect! Grayson was one of the few books worth reading.
    King and Seeley have been able to emerge the core of the character even though in a scenario that usually doesn't fit him.

DCYou era and it was the best, almost everything else involving Nightwing has been boring since then.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    DCYou era and it was the best, almost everything else involving Nightwing has been boring since then.
    At less dick being a spy made dc get creative with dick. Nightwing has been just generic dime a dozen bat vilgilante.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    considering what they just did to Nightwing, it was way way better then people give it credit for. Art was definetly really good.

wasn't Grasyon part of Rebirth?

For New 52 you've got to go back further like 2011 to rebirth. I think the early books for the New 52, especially some of the lesser known titles had the most promise and appeal. But times changed, slaes weren't there and comcis don't sell like they did in the 90s.
    No, second half of New 52. Grayson was between New 52 Nightwing and Rebirth Nightwing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Grayson is my favorite dick grayson solo run. I prefer dick grayson who plays in the greater dcu sandbox, that the best dick grayson to me. But can I ask what was it that dick didn't like about being a spy?
    Mainly because he was forced into it, but also because it's a world of deception and having to be someone you're not all the time, including when he's in Spyral home base because infiltrating Spyral is his mission. He has performed and goes undercover before of course, but only for a few days at most, and when he's Nightwing he's himself. Nightwing and Dick are the same people. He doesn't need or want to pretend to be someone else like Bruce when he's in lazy playboy mode.

Incredible Member

Book was great and I was interested in them using those Wildstorm and other forgotten characters (like King Faraday)

I remember King and Seeley wanting like 50-60 issues, shame it ended so early. Also a shame they couldn't end it themselves since they both got too busy with their respective rebirth books.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Best thing that happened to Dick since he was Batman II.

Everything since then was a step down. Some of Seeley's Nightwing stuff was really good, but you could tell his heart just wasn't in the Bludhaven/Dixon nostalgia stuff.