Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Book was great and I was interested in them using those Wildstorm and other forgotten characters (like King Faraday)

I remember King and Seeley wanting like 50-60 issues, shame it ended so early. Also a shame they couldn't end it themselves since they both got too busy with their respective rebirth books.
    Yes, it's A Good Ending away from being a seminal, character-defining run. Although I think it's a credit to Lanzing, Kelley and Antonio that their thankless "finish off these other guys' story in three issues and end the book" assignment turned out as well as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Book was great and I was interested in them using those Wildstorm and other forgotten characters (like King Faraday)

I remember King and Seeley wanting like 50-60 issues, shame it ended so early. Also a shame they couldn't end it themselves since they both got too busy with their respective rebirth books.
    Uh, Seeley's Rebirth book was Nightwing. Editorial forced Dick back to being a standard superhero, it wasn't anything to do with writer schedule.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

I liked the seriesl as Midnighter,Grifter,and TAO made appearances along with John Constantine but I would liked to see Arsenal in the series as the only person besides Batman knowing he was alive also, would love to see Father Time & John Lynch trying to recruit him to S.H.A.D.E or I/O. if DC brings Garyson back I hope it involves Holden Carver,Roy Harper and the original SpySmasher
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Amazing Member

His best moments since being Batman again. Going back to Nightwing was always going to be an inevitable downgrade and no surprise when it materialized. A lot of fun and unique tools and better showcase of his detective skills among others.

Hopefully Grayson comes back in the future again because as Nightwing he has no future even if Didio is gone.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Absolutely stellar concept and book. I wish it could have run a bit longer.

Falls apart at the very end, but that was editorial and Seely/King leaving.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-17-2020 at 10:12 AM.

I remember liking Grayson a fair amount. Haven't read a Dick book since then, so I couldn't tell you if its all been downhill from there or not, as some have said.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Dick had a few good stories in the N52 and even in Rebirth but they aren't as memorable as Grayson is, and they rarely add up to whole arcs (except for Seeley's Raptor Arc and Humphries' The Judge) mostly because everything tends to be cut short by event crap (Higgins last arc in Chicago, Percy's Irland story). Of course Grayson in itself got cut short too, but by then it at least had finished two arcs without interference so, yes, I'd say it is one of the best comic books that were created during the N52/DC You years.

It let Dick breath, after he was convined to only three family supporting characters (Babs, Dami, Bruce - then again Bruce didn't really show up in Dick's book). It got better while he was in Chicago under Higgins, but the way SeeKing could just go wild with bringing back characters was simply different. And I think their creative mixture made the Comic so great. I remember that the discussions in the Issue Threads went on for nearly one entire month back in 2015 simply because there was so much to explore in one Issue. And not only the infamous #12. So that's what made it so great to me. It was new, yet introduced old characters, and it got people talking.

Was the way there great? No, but neither was Babs' way to Oracle. I think if it had been able to go up to the original issue number, it would have been able to be a defining run. The spy war would have been a blast instead of cut short and kinda anticlimatic.

I wish we could revisit it. If only for the characters that were lost to the sands of time the second Seeley was off the book.

Incredible Member

A wonderful run, a way for Dick to really stretch out.
    With a little more world building, Dick would have easily been able to interact with the superhero community again.
    A wasted opportunity.
    Loved his interaction with Midnighter, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Dick had a few good stories in the N52 and even in Rebirth but they aren't as memorable as Grayson is, and they rarely add up to whole arcs (except for Seeley's Raptor Arc and Humphries' The Judge) mostly because everything tends to be cut short by event crap (Higgins last arc in Chicago, Percy's Irland story). Of course Grayson in itself got cut short too, but by then it at least had finished two arcs without interference so, yes, I'd say it is one of the best comic books that were created during the N52/DC You years.

It let Dick breath, after he was convined to only three family supporting characters (Babs, Dami, Bruce - then again Bruce didn't really show up in Dick's book). It got better while he was in Chicago under Higgins, but the way SeeKing could just go wild with bringing back characters was simply different. And I think their creative mixture made the Comic so great. I remember that the discussions in the Issue Threads went on for nearly one entire month back in 2015 simply because there was so much to explore in one Issue. And not only the infamous #12. So that's what made it so great to me. It was new, yet introduced old characters, and it got people talking.

Was the way there great? No, but neither was Babs' way to Oracle. I think if it had been able to go up to the original issue number, it would have been able to be a defining run. The spy war would have been a blast instead of cut short and kinda anticlimatic.

I wish we could revisit it. If only for the characters that were lost to the sands of time the second Seeley was off the book.
    Amen to that. Grayson should come back.

Astonishing Member

Top 5 of the entire Nu52. My number one.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

I seem to be the only one who never was really into that book.

For me there were to many issues that were so low on plot progression and content that you could read them in about 5 minutes, there was to much stuff that imo didn't make sense or were never properly explained, Dick was succeeding to often just by beeing Dick Grayson and we never really got a cool James Bond like Spy Story.

Early New 52 had some great runs like Batwoman, Green Arrow and Batman and Robin, so no THE best, but on the top fore sure, the best of DC YOU.

An original concept with unexpected weird takes. Yes, I would like to have the book back, or at least some of the concepts in it.

The best

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Do you think that Grayson was the best example of what the new 52 could have been ?
    Do you think that the series should return in the future or is it the worse idea that you ever heard of?
    I don't know if I'd say Grayson was the best, as in none equal or better, but it was definitely one of the best. The combination of really good storytelling in both words and art, a fresh idea that still honored his past, and a complex plot advanced mostly in one-and-dones with throughlines, is hard to beat.

I don't see how it could really return. I'd much prefer that they spend the time and effort thinking of a new series with similar balance of big idea and honoring history, rather than trying to imitate again.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Grayson was fantastic, way better than it needed to it. It’s weird, that’s a book where they did a great job of making the character stand on his own apart from Batman but for some reason the character didn’t seem to hold onto that agency when he went back to being a solo hero.