Default Nintendo Considering Making More Adaptations After The Mario Movie In The Works

From the sounds of Nintendo’s most recent corporate management policy briefing, the company is very seriously considering multiple ways in which it can capitalize on its video game IP outside of the realm of games. It’s not surprising, per se, but it is interesting to hear that Nintendo isn’t afraid of trying to make video game movies happen.

“We have also already embarked on multiple other visual content expansion projects, and are pursuing further opportunities,” Nintendo said in a section of the document referring to 2023 and beyond. “Going forward, visual content expansion initiatives may not be limited to film. The scale of our investments will vary based on the type of project, but we will continue to invest in these entertainment expansion initiatives to increase the number of people who have access to our IP.” The company also gave an update on the next planned Super Mario movie.
    Outside of the plumber, Nintendo knows it’s sitting on the rights to a whole slew of characters beloved by literally millions of people and, in the right circumstances, can become the centerpieces to stories that don’t involve actual gaming. Popular as animated series like Castlevania have become, Nintendo has to be considering just how all else it can cash in on the IP it’s got, and it’s going to be very, very interesting to see how the company executes its vision going forward.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/nintendo-tea...aft-1845076014

I would love to see a Zelda movie. They could do so many great things with that franchise. If they based it off of A Link to the ast they could even do two or three movies out of it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Zelda and Metroid seems pretty inevitable. Hasn’t Brie Larson said she would love to play Samus before?

Extraordinary Member

Metroid is probably the best to do a movie out of. It’s basically a riff off Alien anyways. It also has the most focused story of any Nintendo games.

Zelda would be a better series

Not that I'm against it, but I'd wait to see how the Mario movie turns out before rushing to adapt all your various IP's.

Personally I'm pulling for an animated film adaptions of the Fire Emblem games using the game cast.

Legend of Zelda could be a spectacle.
    Lord of the Rings, The Dark Crystal, and the films of Guillermo del Toro are the blue prints for how this could look.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not that I'm against it, but I'd wait to see how the Mario movie turns out before rushing to adapt all your various IP's.

Personally I'm pulling for an animated film adaptions of the Fire Emblem games using the game cast.
    I wouldnt use Mario as the read for how Nintendo movies do. Mario would be very niche. I mean fans of the game will come see the movie but not many others.

With something like Zelda you have fans of the game and I am sure that fantasy buff would come see it. And done right you can get many movies from Zelda.

Metroid would be a movies the fans would see as well as Sci Fi nuts.

Both have more broad appeal then Mario.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I wouldnt use Mario as the read for how Nintendo movies do. Mario would be very niche. I mean fans of the game will come see the movie but not many others.

With something like Zelda you have fans of the game and I am sure that fantasy buff would come see it. And done right you can get many movies from Zelda.

Metroid would be a movies the fans would see as well as Sci Fi nuts.

Both have more broad appeal then Mario.
    The same could be said for Sonic the Hedgehog as well, but that movie did well at the box office and was on its way to a record run for a video game movie before the pandemic hit. If done correctly, Mario could probably similar success to Sonic. Detective Pikachu and Sonic showed the way, all that remains is for the Mario movie to be faithful at least to the spirit of Mario.

Could Zelda and Metroid possibly do better? Yes. I would say that Metroid is a better fit for a cinematic experience in one movie to test the waters for Nintendo movies than Zelda simply because Zelda seems like an event that would span multiple movies. A potential exception might be a movie based on Breath of the Wild since you could skip all the shrines, save for the first four, and go straight to the Divine Beasts and then, take on Calamity Ganon, but you'd actually sacrifice some story if you did that. Metroid, though, could work great, and you'd even have a choice of a potential secondary genre. Just imagine a horror, or horror-esque, movie where the "monster", Samus, is the outright good guy. In many of the games, particularly the Metroid Prime games, she's exactly that to the Space Pirates.

Despite all that, though, Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise and if his movie does well, that is a very good sign for things to come in the cinematic field for Nintendo.
    Last edited by Enterprise E; 09-19-2020 at 05:11 AM.