Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If Ra's Al Ghul is pro-depopulation, why have a child?

Ra's Al Ghul has stated many times he feels the growth of humanity's population is threat to this planet and it's environment. Yet he chooses to contribute to this harm by having kids and grandkid? Wouldn't it be more efficient if Ra adopted anti-natalist values too?

Explanation of anti-natalism:
    "Antinatalism, or anti-natalism, is a philosophical position and social movement that assigns a negative value to birth. Antinatalists argue that humans should abstain from procreation because it is morally bad. In scholarly and in literary writings, various ethical foundations have been presented for antinatalism"

Sorry if this came out of nowhere. Ra's reminds of people who preach about others getting steralized or euthanized because "overpopulation is hurting the environment" while also having offsprings and trying to live as long as possible. In short he's a hypocrite.
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 09-17-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

He's villain, so of course he's hypocrite. All de-population villains are always like that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Because he's a nutcase.

Well, should anything happen to him and he can't get to a Lazarus Pit in time, he'll need an heir to carry on his work. To go along with that...

While he wants to eradicate most of humanity, he does want to leave a small, yet sustainable, population that can be controlled. Most likely those directly tied to his organization and those he personally chose that he felt would useful, but under his control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, should anything happen to him and he can't get to a Lazarus Pit in time, he'll need an heir to carry on his work. To go along with that...

While he wants to eradicate most of humanity, he does want to leave a small, yet sustainable, population that can be controlled. Most likely those directly tied to his organization and those he personally chose that he felt would useful, but under his control.

Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    He's villain, so of course he's a hypocrite. All de-population villains are always like that.
    Bingo, the correct answer - "Do as I say not as I do."
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It would be cool if they made a storyline around this, where his philosophy was presented seriously rather than "here's a madman who wants to kill everyone because trees". I'm not saying he should be made into a sympathetic character, but the fact that he has kids (Talia, Nyssa, a son whose name I don't remember, maybe others) means he's either a gigantic hypocrite or his philosophy is more complex than what's been given. Maybe it's not just about preserving nature's natural beauty.

Whatever happened to Nyssa anyway? I remember she died somehow. Maybe she's back because of the New 52?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Yeah, I don't think Ra's has ever advocated for the total genocide of the human race, just a necessary culling of most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    It would be cool if they made a storyline around this, where his philosophy was presented seriously rather than "here's a madman who wants to kill everyone because trees". I'm not saying he should be made into a sympathetic character, but the fact that he has kids (Talia, Nyssa, a son whose name I don't remember, maybe others) means he's either a gigantic hypocrite or his philosophy is more complex than what's been given. Maybe it's not just about preserving nature's natural beauty.

Whatever happened to Nyssa anyway? I remember she died somehow. Maybe she's back because of the New 52?
    She was killed by Batgirl (who'd joined the League of Assassins) in 2006's Robin #148.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Nyssa_Raatko_(New_Earth)

She doesn't exist in New 52 - the only other Nyssa Al Ghuls listed on the wiki are the Arrowverse and Gotham TV series ones.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't think having one, two, three kids is equal to genociding an entire city or two
    It also has to do what the city population do like Gotham keeps producing criminals and the criminally insane on top of the usual polluters and greedy rich people. In his views he's fixing the world, so his family doesn't count

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Ra's has ever advocated for the total genocide of the human race, just a necessary culling of most of them.

He should've been the change he wanted to see and stop contributing to it.

I would like a book like that too. Maybe a oneshot chapter or graphic novel. The way environmentalists villains are written is wacky. Which is surprising considering there are a lot of people with this philosophy(minus the sociopathic tendencies).

Incredible Member

Nyssa died pre-reboot and hasn't been since outside of Gotham and Arrow. Dusan is the son and he's appeared like once I think

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Ra's Al Ghul has stated many times he feels the growth of humanity's population is threat to this planet and it's environment. Yet he chooses to contribute to this harm by having kids and grandkid? Wouldn't it be more efficient if Ra adopted anti-natalist values too?

Explanation of anti-natalism:
    "Antinatalism, or anti-natalism, is a philosophical position and social movement that assigns a negative value to birth. Antinatalists argue that humans should abstain from procreation because it is morally bad. In scholarly and in literary writings, various ethical foundations have been presented for antinatalism"

Sorry if this came out of nowhere. Ra's reminds of people who preach about others getting steralized or euthanized because "overpopulation is hurting the environment" while also having offsprings and trying to live as long as possible. In short he's a hypocrite.
    Old Ras is and always has been a hypocrite.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Ra's Al Ghul has stated many times he feels the growth of humanity's population is threat to this planet and it's environment.
    Because what he actually means when he says that is "I think everyone except my people and our way of life is a a threat to this planet."

The man has a god complex. Environmentalism is just his excuse to feel better than everybody else.