Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

So for clarity sake in case any new people want to offer opinions and as a reminder to those of us who discussed it already. here's all the characters brought up in the thread so far as potential candidates for the revamped Annihilators team who will be comprised of energy based characters. They will be fighting against a new Cosmic Entity mainly.

The original team had 6 members so that is the goal but it's subject to change. The team will be organized and led by Gladiator

Characters who are still being considered
    Quasar
    Havok
    Starhawk
    Captain Marvel
    Photon
    Paragon
    Bishop
    Vulcan
    Oracle
    Kid Omega
    Nate Grey
    An energy dampener/amplifier character

Characters confirmed being in other storylines and can't join
    Beta Rey Bill
    Silver Surfer
    Polaris
    Gambit
    Adam Warlock
    Scarlett Witch
    Last edited by Gripstir; 10-03-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Fabian Cortez has those types of abilities where he can enhance or negate powers.

Capt Marvel can absorb many types of energies and even become Binary!

Quasar's bands can absorb energy (I think)

Can Photon absorb energy?

Havok can absorb cosmic energies....

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    the more I think about it the more I think an energy dampener would be needed on a team like this. The only one I know is Leech from the Morlocks but his power range is kinda weak for a cosmic level threat. Like only works within 50 feet. Maybe an OC character who can dampen energies or even enhance energies. So they could help boost people like Bishop if he's on the team and can help weaken the cosmic entity. I think we need more aliens potentially.
    Are there any "canon" dampeners, or canon characters we could add that power to? I agree majorly, that bringing on an energy dampener would be needed on such team. Someone boosting Bishop is a cool idea. He'd get overloaded on his own, even Phoenix is having severe trouble combating this "foe". Also to keep in mind, "Cosmic Rival" is an energy based being, but its capable of so much more, so... there's really room for reality warpers, time manipulators, anyone that can affect temporal space...

Also not sure if Nate Grey would work aka Xmen. He's pretty powerful and could help but ultimately it's a timeline thing
    Nate Grey has been discussed, and are we talking about X-Man Nate Grey, or Nathan Summers "Cable?"

One of them (I always mix them up) is part of the "Dystopian" Arc timeline. I think Nate Grey is the X-Man and... due to how funky the time-space continuum gets (thanks to events of Phoenix Trilogy) there are people that wind up "time displaced". So... something could work.

So for clarity sake in case anynew people want to offer opinions and as a reminder to those of us who discussed it already. here's all the characters brought up in the thread so far as potential candidates for the revamped Annihilators team who will be comprised of energy based characters. They will be fighting mainly against a new Cosmic Entiity mainly.

The original team had 6 members so that is the goal but it's subject to change

Characters who are still being considered
    Quasar
    Havok
    Starhawk
    Captain Marvel
    Photon
    Paragon
    Bishop
    Vulcan
    Oracle
    Kid Omega
    Nate Grey

Characters confirmed being in other storylines and can't join
    Beta Rey Bill
    Silver Surfer
    Polaris
    Gambit
    Adam Warlock
    Scarlett Witch
    I think these:
    Quasar
    Havok
    Starhawk

Are in, then these:

Captain Marvel
    Photon
    Paragon
    Bishop

Are highly considered, and these:

Vulcan
    Oracle
    Kid Omega
    Nate Grey

Are the "hmmm's"

What's Paragon's and Starhawk's powers entail? Maybe we could ADD energy dampening to one of them. Then that's that one thing down...

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Fabian Cortez has those types of abilities where he can enhance or negate powers.

Isn't Fabian a villain? It would actually work, being a teammate that could go rogue, and want to instead, figure a way to utilize "Cosmic Rival's" energy emission for his own personal agendas.

Quasar is good cuz he's got that quantum stuff so... plenty of room to tweak and modify his powers, actually.

I don't know if Photon absorbs.

Havok would be... he could actually answer the energy dampening thing. See, I know later he and "Cosmic Rival" have an entangelment, so to have him already absorb a lot of "Cosmic Rival's" energy, would play a role later on!

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    Are there any "canon" dampeners, or canon characters we could add that power to? I agree majorly, that bringing on an energy dampener would be needed on such team. Someone boosting Bishop is a cool idea. He'd get overloaded on his own, even Phoenix is having severe trouble combating this "foe". Also to keep in mind, "Cosmic Rival" is an energy based being, but its capable of so much more, so... there's really room for reality warpers, time manipulators, anyone that can affect temporal space...
    What about....Star-Dancer (Shanga)?

Besides super strength and cosmic energy blasts, she can sense Stellar Energy Matrix patterns and can absorb cosmic type energies.as well as Astrokinesis (manipulation of all the energies of a star).

I think these:
    Quasar
    Havok
    Starhawk

Are in, then these:

Captain Marvel
    Photon
    Paragon
    Bishop

Are highly considered, and these:

Vulcan
    Oracle
    Kid Omega
    Nate Grey

Are the "hmmm's"

What's Paragon's and Starhawk's powers entail? Maybe we could ADD energy dampening to one of them. Then that's that one thing down...
    Yes, Starhawk does have energy absorption powers.

Paragon's body actually absorbs cosmic energy specifically and she can manipulate it.

Mighty Member

Well with dampening I mean specifically like drain the energy output rather than just channeling outputted energy. I think pretty much all the potential teammates absorb to some degree. But physically change the power output of another being (either increase or decrease) is something different to energy absorption like Bishop and Havok can do

Like Vulcan actively drained Adam Warlock to where Adam said he felt tired from being drained

Yes, Starhawk does have energy absorption powers.

Paragon's body actually absorbs cosmic energy specifically and she can manipulate it.
    Well with dampening I mean specifically like drain the energy output rather than just channeling outputted energy. I think pretty much all the potential teammates absorb to some degree. But physically change the power output of another being (either increase or decrease) is something different to energy absorption like Bishop and Havok can do

Like Vulcan actively drained Adam Warlock to where Adam said he felt tired from being drained
    Kinda on the road atm but just to offer something that may be of help...

Keep in mind the "Cosmic Rival" is a cosmic entity, and a powerful one at that. A Mutant trying to attack a cosmic entity, is like a Mutant trying to attack the Phoenix Force directly. While its not completely impossible (the raw Phoenix has been kicked around a few times, under dumb circumstances), the Phoenix overall cannot be challenged by a mortal. However, the way to get to the Phoenix IS through its host. Even if its Jean Grey, someone could get around her using the Phoenix Force, and attack her directly. this means trouble for the Phoenix if its host goes down.

Same thing with "Cosmic Rival", it requires an embodiment to utilize its powers in the fullest, and most effective way. So... Gladiator could employ members who could disrupt "Cosmic Rival's" host's own energy flow (which is where "Cosmic Rival" expands within). Things like that tho :P

So I think a character like you describe could be one or more below:

Capt Marvel: When she drains enough energy, she transforms into Binary
    Starhawk: Can absorb energy
    Paragon: Body actually absorbs cosmic energy and she can absorb, manipulate it and expel it
    Star-Dancer: Can specifically absorb cosmic energy and expel it

To wit and with GMikey's post, I removed Fabian who would not be helpful with Cosmic Might. But the other 4 above seem to be good candidates.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 10-03-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Mighty Member

So I did find that there is a canon character with energy dampening/increasing powers specifically. It’s a character created a couple years ago called Amp https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Zacha...t)_(Earth-616)). However I already feel like there are too many earth based characters so I would either want to create a OC alien character (my preference) or give his powers to someone like Bishop something. As a soldier he would be willing to be the support to amp up the others. I think we have enough energy blasting power already so Bishop should bring something else to the table. But like I said could also think of an OC character with Amp’s powers who is more of a conduit. I like the fact Amps powers can accidentally affect his teammates negatively if not careful.

Nate Grey has been discussed, and are we talking about X-Man Nate Grey, or Nathan Summers "Cable?"

One of them (I always mix them up) is part of the "Dystopian" Arc timeline. I think Nate Grey is the X-Man and... due to how funky the time-space continuum gets (thanks to events of Phoenix Trilogy) there are people that wind up "time displaced". So... something could work.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Grey yes he’s X-man. And as you mention in one of the other comments he covers a lot of time displacement and reality warping and other kinds of powers the cosmic entity has so he isn’t just a energy guy. If it’s possible to bring him in he’s another strong contender. I also like how they reference him as a rival to the Phoenix in the article
    Last edited by Gripstir; 10-03-2020 at 12:19 PM.

I'm still away so bare with me lol

So I did find that there is a canon character with energy dampening/increasing powers specifically. It’s a character created a couple years ago called Amp https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Zacha...t)_(Earth-616)). However I already feel like there are too many earth based characters so I would either want to create a OC alien character (my preference) or give his powers to someone like Bishop something. As a soldier he would be willing to be the support to amp up the others. I think we have enough energy blasting power already so Bishop should bring something else to the table. But like I said could also think of an OC character with Amp’s powers who is more of a conduit. I like the fact Amps powers can accidentally affect his teammates negatively if not careful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Grey yes he’s X-man. And as you mention in one of the other comments he covers a lot of time displacement and reality warping and other kinds of powers the cosmic entity has so he isn’t just a energy guy. If it’s possible to bring him in he’s another strong contender. I also like how they reference him as a rival to the Phoenix in the article
    I like that character, Amp, but agree that too many humans are on this team, we need some aliens. Amp could surface for something else but do keep him in mind.

This project is well open for OC development. So if we could create a character with energy dampening abilities, that'd be cool. They said we could do whatever we wanted with the Annihilators. Now might be a good time to introduce someone new

Okay Nate Grey is X-Man. Um he'd be an awesome addition due to his powers, and the fact he rivals Phoenix in power, which in turn, means he can also rival "Cosmic Rival" in various ways.

OMG I just looked him um, and I forgot Nate's father figure was Forge... Forge... HAS... a big role in this plight between Phoenix and "Cosmic Rival".

Also, there's a story of the next gen, about the continued plight between "Cosmic Rival" and Phoenix, involving the descendants of the hosts of said cosmic superpowers. If Nate was time-displaced into the past(?) and had joined the Annihilators, then he would find himself in the future, and get involved with Rachel's plot. Just an idea there

So I think a character like you describe could be one or more below:

Capt Marvel: When she drains enough energy, she transforms into Binary
    Starhawk: Can absorb energy
    Paragon: Body actually absorbs cosmic energy and she can absorb, manipulate it and expel it
    Star-Dancer: Can specifically absorb cosmic energy and expel it

To wit and with GMikey's post, I removed Fabian who would not be helpful with Cosmic Might. But the other 4 above seem to be good candidates.
    Those are awesome suggestions, and with some adjustments and tweaks, a few of those could definitely work.

This poses a lot of challenge to "Cosmic Rival", and would play into its continued plight and evolution. Yeah, one of the more annoying abilities of "Cosmic Rival's" IS evolution. When it evolves, it's powers become more and more incompatible, or change in such ways that not even the entity itself, knows how to manipulate or utilize itself.

LOL what this does too, is serves as mild karma; early on, "Cosmic Rival" gave Jean/Phoenix a serious run for her money, as Jean/Phoenix cannot manipulate or control the powers "Cosmic Rival" exerts. She also has trouble with its/his powers and abilities, as he "breaks" all kinds of things, that causes quite a bit of disruptions across the Multiverse. Jean resorting to Phoenix's wisdom and age, is what gets her those moments to whip "Cosmic Rival's" ass. And it/he gets his ass kicked quite a few times.

Fabian um... I'd look into it more. There's some possibilities there.

I like Starhawk and Stardancer. we could do some cool **** with them I think.

Mighty Member

I like that character, Amp, but agree that too many humans are on this team, we need some aliens. Amp could surface for something else but do keep him in mind.

This project is well open for OC development. So if we could create a character with energy dampening abilities, that'd be cool. They said we could do whatever we wanted with the Annihilators. Now might be a good time to introduce someone new
    I totally agree. I don’t think the character itself would improve anything but the powers would help if used with someone else

Um he'd be an awesome addition due to his powers, and the fact he rivals Phoenix in power, which in turn, means he can also rival "Cosmic Rival" in various ways.
    Yeah when we were just brainstorming my original thought was lets get the coolest most dominant energy people together for a badass moment. Now that we are actually sitting down and actually working to flesh this out my thought process changed to “ok what is a good diversity of powers and characters to put into a team that can realistically fight this cosmic entity going to look like” .

X-man can help cover a lot of powers without bloating the team too much with people.

OMG I just looked him um, and I forgot Nate's father figure was Forge... Forge... HAS... a big role in this plight between Phoenix and "Cosmic Rival".

Also, there's a story of the next gen, about the continued plight between "Cosmic Rival" and Phoenix, involving the descendants of the hosts of said cosmic superpowers. If Nate was time-displaced into the past(?) and had joined the Annihilators, then he would find himself in the future, and get involved with Rachel's plot. Just an idea there
    I love long term character arcs where people come and go when needed. So I would be on board with stuff like this. Nate might need to be introduced a bit earlier in the Phoenix arc before he’s recruited so Gladiator would have a chance to hear about him. Or maybe Nate is time displaced related to the cosmic entity
    Last edited by Gripstir; 10-03-2020 at 06:40 PM.

I totally agree. I don’t think the character itself would improve anything but the powers would help if used with someone else

yeah when we were just brainstorming my original thought was lets get the coolest most dominant energy people together for a badass moment. Now that we are actually sitting down and actually working to flesh this out my thought process changed to “ok what is a good diversity of powers and characters to put into a team that can realistically fight this cosmic entity going to look like” .

X-man can help cover a lot of powers without bloating the team too much with people.

I love long term character arcs where people come and go when needed. So I would be on board with stuff like this. Nate might need to be introduced a bit earlier in the Phoenix arc before he’s recruited so Gladiator would have a chance to hear about him. Or maybe Nate is time displaced related to the cosmic entity
    LOL yes, that's kinda where this has brought us. Cuz I was slingin' ideas down too, and then I was like... y'kno Dec is coming up, that's when the first two shorts are uploaded.

Nate could appear during the time skip. Early in the "Third" Phoenix Trilogy, we get the time skip to occur. A LOT of chaos ensues thanks to a certain miscalculation on both the Avengers and X-Men. In that chaos, time is tampered with, then also there's Bishop to come in at some point (not sure when, gotta ask), OOOOR, he could come here at a second time. Cuz... I think Days of Future Past happens before the Phoenix Trilogy. On his second time, is when he gets actually cut off from his time period, and the coming of "Cosmic Rival" could drive him to believe it is the cause of the mayhem.

Nate being related to the "Cosmic Rival" (or more the Rival's one true host) would in fact be a thing, so... that's something to discuss I think.

Now since we're talking about a lot of characters in such a team... I'm wondering if we should allow different characters to be members at different times? Take Bishop or Vulcan for example. They could have been part of the team early on, but the plot derails them, allowing other characters we've discussed to join in.

LOL yes, that's kinda where this has brought us. Cuz I was slingin' ideas down too, and then I was like... y'kno Dec is coming up, that's when the first two shorts are uploaded.

Now since we're talking about a lot of characters in such a team... I'm wondering if we should allow different characters to be members at different times? Take Bishop or Vulcan for example. They could have been part of the team early on, but the plot derails them, allowing other characters we've discussed to join in.
    You know, I really like this idea!