Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    If anything, the isolation of Rogue's powers makes her more angry, bitter, and sad than frightened and mousey.

Afterall, she didn't grow up without touch. She knows what she is missing, at least to an extent.

But I think touch is scary for her not only because she can harm others, but also because of the disorientation and negative experiences she can absorb from her victims and how they can linger and haunt her. Seeing other people's deepest and darkest experiences should make her incredibly empathetic, which she usually is when well written. But it could also be extremely disturbing for her and violating for those she takes memories from.

I don't believe she was ever scared of Carol's powers, just of Carol's personality taking over her body - which she almost did and Rogue nearly let her because of her guilt.

I think the question is how do you want to handle the pyches of people she has absorbed? Usually they have been portrayed to fade away or to at least be stored on a subconscious level. Conversely I've seen her written as haunted by pyches.
    Especially since Rogue was using Carol's powers with ease and freely, how much of Carol and how much of Rogue was in control

After the Siege Perilous split Carol' persona out from Rogue and Magneto then killed the Carol pyche in the Savage Land, my understanding is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    This sounds soooo good, I cannot wait to see it!!

It has many of my favorites including Arch-Angel, Beast, Rogue, Thunderbird, Colossus, Domino, Spyke, Northstar and the Twin Mutants Maximoff!
    It's a LOT of awesomeness. I haven't EVEN started with the Mutant Brotherhood (Magneto's team). And I like the writers' take of them starting out as villains, but ultimately kinda becoming antiheroes like... antagonistic antiheroes. Magneto has a point to his character, and I love when writers actually capture that... tortured soul side of his character.

The Brotherhood contains Magneto (of course) Mystique, kid Sabretooth, kid Pyro, kid Avalanche, kid Polaris, kid Toad, Leech (on and off), Callisto (kinda sorta), kid Warpath (eventually), Erik Killmonger (only human, long story), Deadpool (only early on), the Maximoffs (on and off), um... this list is incomplete and several of this cast aren't always on, and even leave like Deadpool does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    You could go with a couple of code names: Marvel Girl, Redd, Psyche
    Good idea lol we were kinda gonna hearken to 90s show, and she's just Jean Grey until she becomes Phoenix lol

Could also go with "Miss Marvel" or even.......................MARVEL WOMAN.

It is okay to slightly drift off the comics on code names, since ultimately...........Jean will become Phoenix!
    Oh I get that, which is why I suggested some additional code-names. These are just not necessarily ones that the traditional JG of E-616 used. But this project can alter from the comics and use these or other ones that the writer decides on.
    Yeah see, Jean Grey doesn't have the tragic backstory as most others in the group. She's the only one that had a normal life, and isn't really a fighter like the others (um circumstances made many of the others ultra fighters). She eventually evolves into a fighter. Still... maybe granting her a less traditional codename like "Red" might be good... we may take a vote on it ^_^

If anything, the isolation of Rogue's powers makes her more angry, bitter, and sad than frightened and mousey.

Afterall, she didn't grow up without touch. She knows what she is missing, at least to an extent.

But I think touch is scary for her not only because she can harm others, but also because of the disorientation and negative experiences she can absorb from her victims and how they can linger and haunt her. Seeing other people's deepest and darkest experiences should make her incredibly empathetic, which she usually is when well written. But it could also be extremely disturbing for her and violating for those she takes memories from.

I don't believe she was ever scared of Carol's powers, just of Carol's personality taking over her body - which she almost did and Rogue nearly let her because of her guilt.

I think the question is how do you want to handle the pyches of people she has absorbed? Usually they have been portrayed to fade away or to at least be stored on a subconscious level. Conversely I've seen her written as haunted by pyches and/or having power recall of her victims.
    This sounds amazing BTW and I'm so impressed you're wanting fan input.

Regarding Rogue, was always my understanding that she gained her codename from her childhood nickname and personality. In tales of her childhood, it was always implied that she was tough, determined, stubborn, sassy and adventurous way before she absorbed Carol. Mousey and quiet Rogue as portrayed in the Fox movies never felt right. Comic Rogue was still sassy and tough after Carol's persona left her, which was before her romance with Gambit ever started. I think Carol's persona helped her become more heroic and selfless in the comics after she joined the X-Men in the 80s. But as the Evolution cartoon shows, she could have gotten there on her own eventually and was rough and sassy without Carol.
    First of all, welcome This thread IS preliminary, but I feel now is a good time to start these ideas. I will "leak" artwork when I can, the artist is awesome, especially as a hobbyist, and the animation is pretty solid as well. It's heavily anime influenced, so lotta tropes of that present.

As for Rogue, you raise important questions about her character, and her development has been taken very seriously. We all hate how Fox handled her character. One of the primary attributes to Rogue in this project, is portray a female who masks her emotions, hurt, and issues with over confidence, bluntness and even tomboyish behaviours. To going deeper into the psychology is going to be awesome; she already has internal issues of her own, taking on someone else's persona as absorbs their essence-- that's a helluva task... may even see some personas she takes on, break her down, that would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I think Xmen Evolution had a great Rogue. I think the thing people don't get is Rogue needs people she craves people. And even though she fears it she loves the attention Gambit gives her. I think she is insecure but I think it's her Southern style that gives her her own personality. I think it's just that gaining Carols powers scares her in other ways. They always say that fear of s bigger threat can lessen your fear of something else
    Yeah I would say I think Carol might spark her but Rogue definitely is that Tomboyish girl who grew up around boys. That's exactly how you expect a southern...well not a bell to act lol

There is a slight problem with this though. If she and Gambit get together or if she has another romance it's going to hurt the audience perception of love. Where if you draw attention to Carols personality and confidence being instilled the question is going to start coming up of if she is able to consent to love for herself or is it Carols personality that is falling in love. Again I want to say there's a difference between what someone writes and what people interpret. I'm just saying that could be a potentially problematic element that could distract from the story audience is wondering if it's Rogue or Carols personality that is making decisions. Or if they are always doing it together then does Rogue have any agency.

Idk I feel like I understand that Carol is a part of Rogue but I just worry about audience reception to drawing too much attention and light to the idea that Rogue's brain is altered by Carol
    The part about Rogue being a tomboy falls in line with some of her current character arc. That is, the writers formulated that Rogue would be a great moment to explore females that mask hurt, emotions, and other internal conflicts with over confidence. Rogue puts a lot of attention to being a tough cookie, to mask the fact she cannot touch others, and its her way to be detached. Gambit plays a roll in helping her rediscover her softer, loving nature. He even bought her a really nice dress (with stolen money) and matching tiara, so for an event they were attending, she'd feel like a princess for a change. This builds their relationship, as... its kinda been decided to focus more on Gambit/Rogue's relationship for a change.

You make some excellent points about the actual chemistry of how Rogue absorbs personalities, and how does that work with her own personality. I think this is another moment Jean Grey can shine with her use of her psionic abilities to help people on a psychological level. We can experience perhaps fluctations of how the personality thing works; sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes she has control, other times not. What it could be (hearkening from some stuff the chief wrote) her inconsistent confidence and self assurance is responsible for lack of control. But those are AWESOME questions, keep thinking and brainstorming

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    So this thread is about the script that the OP’s friend is writing, and not about an X-universe Canon/Fanon think tank then?
    LOL so I'm a part of a fan collective creating our own Marvel stories. On board are hobbyist animators, artists and writers. The chief writer is actually a former instructor on digital art.

This particular thread focuses mostly on the X-Men side of the story, but IT IS a think tank open for fans to discuss what YOU would like to see in an X-Men fanime series. We are discussing the canon in relations to our fanon, and coming up with ideas if you'd like to participate, join in! I'll soon leak some imagery of what the series is gonna look like ^_^

Very curious as to what you'll do different with Gambit's backstory, as I'm super partial to the Thieves Guild, though admittedly it badly needs a makeover and some modernization. But ... if there are some "Sinister" connections in there, that's a huge part of both his fanon and canon that I think a lot would really get behind.
    There's a LOT of development for Gambit, as... the comics nor films been too kind to him :/ the chief writer is particulary fond of him, and wants to really realize his potential with this project. OH and there's some cool stuff being developed with the Thieves Guild. There's been 4 additional guilds that some fans created, and their mythos matches more of the Occult, to give them a mafia meets Skull and Bones feel. They're not just organized crime, they have ties to political officers, major trafficking rings, cyber-crimes, its all insane

Mr. Sinister has a very interesting development; I'll go ahead and say that the writer is actually taking inspirations from Marilyn Manson (who actually, just thinking, kinda looks like him), in that though, Sinister always gives a relatable explanation for his doings, even as they considered obscene and horrid. It does pose this question that makes you wonder if he's in fact a victim of his circumstance, or... one hell of a master manipulator. But Sinister is the missing link between Cyclops', Gambit's and Havok's backstories... so O_O

Mighty Member

This sounds amazing BTW and I'm so impressed you're wanting fan input.

Regarding Rogue, was always my understanding that she gained her codename from her childhood nickname and personality. In tales of her childhood, it was always implied that she was tough, determined, stubborn, sassy and adventurous way before she absorbed Carol. Mousey and quiet Rogue as portrayed in the Fox movies never felt right. Comic Rogue was still sassy and tough after Carol's persona left her, which was before her romance with Gambit ever started. I think Carol's persona helped her become more heroic and selfless in the comics after she joined the X-Men in the 80s. But as the Evolution cartoon shows, she could have gotten there on her own eventually and was rough and sassy without Carol.
    IÂ’m genuinely not up on my Rogue lore but I remember she started out as kinda an antagonist then had some growth to become a hero. I remember CarolÂ’s powers sticking around But what I thought she absorbed was kinda a parallel mind not really an absorbtion of her into her own mind. I thought what kick started Rogue was seeing the memories of Carol and seeing her adventures and realizing how many people are hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    There's a LOT of development for Gambit, as... the comics nor films been too kind to him :/ the chief writer is particulary fond of him, and wants to really realize his potential with this project. OH and there's some cool stuff being developed with the Thieves Guild. There's been 4 additional guilds that some fans created, and their mythos matches more of the Occult, to give them a mafia meets Skull and Bones feel. They're not just organized crime, they have ties to political officers, major trafficking rings, cyber-crimes, its all insane

Mr. Sinister has a very interesting development; I'll go ahead and say that the writer is actually taking inspirations from Marilyn Manson (who actually, just thinking, kinda looks like him), in that though, Sinister always gives a relatable explanation for his doings, even as they considered obscene and horrid. It does pose this question that makes you wonder if he's in fact a victim of his circumstance, or... one hell of a master manipulator. But Sinister is the missing link between Cyclops', Gambit's and Havok's backstories... so O_O
    This. Sounds. Amazing!

Between this and focusing on Gambit and Rogue's relationship, you have my full interest!

IÂ’m genuinely not up on my Rogue lore but I remember she started out as kinda an antagonist then had some growth to become a hero. I remember CarolÂ’s powers sticking around But what I thought she absorbed was kinda a parallel mind not really an absorbtion of her into her own mind. I thought what kick started Rogue was seeing the memories of Carol and seeing her adventures and realizing how many people are hurt.
    Ok, so in comics Rogue started off as Mystique's adopted daughter/apprentice who were antagonists to Carol Danvers. As a villain she used her powers fairly often and flippantly. After she attacks Carol and puts her in a coma, something goes wrong and Rogue gets Carol's powers permanently but also starts to have problems with Carol's persona taking over her body completely at times, something former pyches never did. That's when she goes to Xavier for help. Basically same as the XTAS plot, except in comics Xavier never helps her at this time. He does WAY WAY later.

It gets more wonky.

Rogue becomes heroic and earns the trust of her teammates - many of whom were Carol's friends did NOT want Rogue there. I could see some of her heroism being inspired by Carol possibly. Carol does eventually come out of her coma, missing pieces of her memories, and is VERY mad at the X-Men for taking Rogue in. She gets into a physical fight with Rogue in fact.

Despite that, Rogue is an asset to her team and sticks around, but continues to struggle with the Carol persona taking over at times up throughout the Outback era. We also find out that pyches linger in her subconscious even after powers and memories of those she absorbed have faded. It's pretty crowded in there.

But after going through the Siege Perilous, the Danvers persona is split into a totally separate entity of sorts and Rogue, in her own body but without Carol's powers, escapes to the Savage Land briefly. Unfortunately there isn't enough life energy to sustain them both, since the Carol persona isn't a full person, and the Shadow King influences her to go attack Rogue for full personship again. Magneto is also in the Savage Land at this time and comes upon the battle, where he kills the Carol persona who is attacking Rogue. Rogue then retains Carol's powers, but her persona is completely gone.

After Magneto kills Zaladane, Rogue is disillusioned with him and leaves to find the other X-Men on Muir Island. There starts the Muir Island saga and where she first meets Gambit, sans the Carol persona.

In XTAS, the Carol persona is locked away from memory in her mind by Xavier. Later Jean helps seal her away again.

In Evolution, the Carol absorption of course never happens.

Mighty Member

Ah thanks again for the catch me up. Some I knew other I’m just learning lol. They could go either way with the story nod glossing over Carols personality or they could lean into it and make it a story about her own growth and becoming just herself again. That could actually be a great thing to try out depending on what’s been written already

Ultimate Member

Ah thanks again for the catch me up. Some I knew other I’m just learning lol. They could go either way with the story nod glossing over Carols personality or they could lean into it and make it a story about her own growth and becoming just herself again. That could actually be a great thing to try out depending on what’s been written already
    I could see an angstier person than Rogue agonizing over how many of her life choices and moments-to-be-proud-of-herself that she's undergone since the personality merger were from *her* or from the grown-up mind and persona of Carol sort of yanking her forward and putting her on the side of the angels. But she just doesn't seem like the navel-gazing sort. (And, ironically, neither does Carol, so she can't even be sure that she gets her 'just deal with it' attitude from Carol or not.)

A more self-doubting / introspective sort might stay up at night worrying that she's just a scared little girl, traumatized by her own power and perhaps manipulated by Mystique into a (n oh-so-brief) life of villainy, who Carol's influence gave confidence and purpose to, but to Rogue, this is who she is *now,* no matter how she got her, now just get out of her way! (Which is ultimately perhaps the most healthy way to deal with it, just move forward, like a shark, and not let the weight of her confusing multiple past memories and questions of identity catch up to her and bog her down in a morass of ultimately unanswerable and irrelevant questions. It's what she does now that defines her, not where, or who, she came from.)

It creates an interesting juxtaposition to how Betsy and Kwannon have changed as result of their own mind-merger-madness.

And is weird that multiple X-ladies share the same bizarre mental-mash-up affliction... Rogue / Carol. Betsy / Kwannon. Possibly even Jean / Maddy / Phoenix / Redd / Teen Jean (there's a lot of 'people' rattling around in that last noggin... It's kinda crowded in there.).
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-20-2020 at 03:05 AM.

This. Sounds. Amazing!

Between this and focusing on Gambit and Rogue's relationship, you have my full interest!
    Oh yes, there will be some awesome Gambit/Rogue development, especially during the Phoenix Trilogy series

Ok, so in comics Rogue started off as Mystique's adopted daughter/apprentice who were antagonists to Carol Danvers. As a villain she used her powers fairly often and flippantly. After she attacks Carol and puts her in a coma, something goes wrong and Rogue gets Carol's powers permanently but also starts to have problems with Carol's persona taking over her body completely at times, something former pyches never did. That's when she goes to Xavier for help. Basically same as the XTAS plot, except in comics Xavier never helps her at this time. He does WAY WAY later.

It gets more wonky.

Rogue becomes heroic and earns the trust of her teammates - many of whom were Carol's friends did NOT want Rogue there. I could see some of her heroism being inspired by Carol possibly. Carol does eventually come out of her coma, missing pieces of her memories, and is VERY mad at the X-Men for taking Rogue in. She gets into a physical fight with Rogue in fact.

Despite that, Rogue is an asset to her team and sticks around, but continues to struggle with the Carol persona taking over at times up throughout the Outback era. We also find out that pyches linger in her subconscious even after powers and memories of those she absorbed have faded. It's pretty crowded in there.

But after going through the Siege Perilous, the Danvers persona is split into a totally separate entity of sorts and Rogue, in her own body but without Carol's powers, escapes to the Savage Land briefly. Unfortunately there isn't enough life energy to sustain them both, since the Carol persona isn't a full person, and the Shadow King influences her to go attack Rogue for full personship again. Magneto is also in the Savage Land at this time and comes upon the battle, where he kills the Carol persona who is attacking Rogue. Rogue then retains Carol's powers, but her persona is completely gone.

After Magneto kills Zaladane, Rogue is disillusioned with him and leaves to find the other X-Men on Muir Island. There starts the Muir Island saga and where she first meets Gambit, sans the Carol persona.

In XTAS, the Carol persona is locked away from memory in her mind by Xavier. Later Jean helps seal her away again.

In Evolution, the Carol absorption of course never happens.
    The personality thing is something our writers are split on; some want to cover this, others feel it could "complicate things". I personally feel that... its important to explore this with Rogue. One idea that I personally pitched, is part of Rogue's development revolving around having to overcome the pain of no intimacy, along with fighting the personas so close or "intimate" to her, mentally. It could almost be treated like a split personality disorder, or bi-polar disorder, and explore that narrative with Rogue. Hell... they are doing that with Bucky Barnes, who develops a severe case of disassociative identity disorder, and part of his arc is the constant change of personalities and realities. Not saying Rogue needs to have a severe personality disorder, but... I think that could means to explore her internal conflict of the personalities she absorbed.

Part of what's proposed currently for Rogue, is after running away from home, she encounters Mystique, who takes her under her wing, and supposedly teaches her to use her mutant abilities for "the sake of mutantkind". It isn't until she entangled with Xavier, that he offers her shelter and aid, thus becoming a student of his. This is also where she meets Jean Grey, who helps her a lot psychologically.

****SPOILER ALERT****
    Now... I'm gonna reveal a plot twist, for reasons... Mystique turns out to be Rogue's biological mother, and there's a story for that. This stirs a lot of conflict in Rogue, and even affects her view of the X-Men's goals and agendas. THEN, due to circumstances after the Phoenix Trilogy, Rogue feels like she lost everything and faults the X-Men for it. This causes her to leave the group, and Mystique is right there to take advantage of it, causing Rogue to rejoin Mystique and Magneto. This is actually a very important plot point, because this marks the slow collapse of the X-Men, and ushers in a very, very dark two(?) arcs to come. With Xavier (and a couple others) dead, Jean has to take the mantle of leader, recruit, and... things just turn dark.

I think that if the personality fading thing could be something Rogue discovers or even develops with the help of others, like Jean's and Xavier's mentoring, or Gambit's love for her, bringing the real her out, and she discovers a way to control those persoalities, what do you guys think?

Yeah I haven't read comics in YEARS, and just been into most of the animated series, and TV shows, and film. Don't fear "what's already written" the details of the story are HIGHLY mutable, so... there's just a basic summary or plot developed, but those specific details and stories are open for fans to pitch in on

GMikey, are they going to show any encounters between Carol Danvers and Rogue?

I think for a complete Rogue story/history, the audience needs to learn of some of these key points, even if not in full stories or story arcs. Perhaps shown over 1 or 2 episodes in flashbacks or a mixture of flashbacks with current day.

Like a prologue for how Rogue got her powers when she battled Ms Marvel on the Golden Gate Bridge and stole her powers? How about years later when Carol had become Binary and surprisingly found Rogue at the X-Mansion when she sent Rogue flying into near orbit?

Then years later (present day or near-present day, perhaps), they can show how Carol has forgiven Rogue. Rogue realizes and apologizes for what she did and that they are no longer enemies.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    Oh yes, there will be some awesome Gambit/Rogue development, especially during the Phoenix Trilogy series

The personality thing is something our writers are split on; some want to cover this, others feel it could "complicate things". I personally feel that... its important to explore this with Rogue. One idea that I personally pitched, is part of Rogue's development revolving around having to overcome the pain of no intimacy, along with fighting the personas so close or "intimate" to her, mentally. It could almost be treated like a split personality disorder, or bi-polar disorder, and explore that narrative with Rogue. Hell... they are doing that with Bucky Barnes, who develops a severe case of disassociative identity disorder, and part of his arc is the constant change of personalities and realities. Not saying Rogue needs to have a severe personality disorder, but... I think that could means to explore her internal conflict of the personalities she absorbed.

Part of what's proposed currently for Rogue, is after running away from home, she encounters Mystique, who takes her under her wing, and supposedly teaches her to use her mutant abilities for "the sake of mutantkind". It isn't until she entangled with Xavier, that he offers her shelter and aid, thus becoming a student of his. This is also where she meets Jean Grey, who helps her a lot psychologically.

****SPOILER ALERT****
    Now... I'm gonna reveal a plot twist, for reasons... Mystique turns out to be Rogue's biological mother, and there's a story for that. This stirs a lot of conflict in Rogue, and even affects her view of the X-Men's goals and agendas. THEN, due to circumstances after the Phoenix Trilogy, Rogue feels like she lost everything and faults the X-Men for it. This causes her to leave the group, and Mystique is right there to take advantage of it, causing Rogue to rejoin Mystique and Magneto. This is actually a very important plot point, because this marks the slow collapse of the X-Men, and ushers in a very, very dark two(?) arcs to come. With Xavier (and a couple others) dead, Jean has to take the mantle of leader, recruit, and... things just turn dark.

I think that if the personality fading thing could be something Rogue discovers or even develops with the help of others, like Jean's and Xavier's mentoring, or Gambit's love for her, bringing the real her out, and she discovers a way to control those persoalities, what do you guys think?
    I actually feel like the way Buffy the Vampire handled ensouled vamps could be a good basis for handling it but I don't feel like spoiling the show. But in order to do that Carols personality would have to be corrupting Rogue being in her.

i did consider Carol being a corrupting influence maybe the part inside Rogue goes mad or something and Rogue needs to get her out but Gambit had a story like that being possessed by someone named Mary Purcell. Not really a fan favorite plot point among Xmen fans. So I guess for my input on how potentially to handle it here's my personal idea. Just keep in mid this is coming from a Gambit fan so I don't know how Rogue fans would feel about it. And just a rough draft idea

So maybe there's a storyline where Rogue has a crush on another guy at the mansion and has feelings for him but doesn't want to pursue anything. Maybe he likes her too maybe not. But maybe Remy keeps flirting with her but he seems too sexual for her and that scares her. So she doesn't even consider him. Remy keeps flirting though but they aren't ever together due to trust issues and the powers struff. At this point maybe they have a friendship or s slightly trusting adversarial relationship. But maybe the Carol stuff inside starts to get too much and starts causing a breakdown in Rogues head (again I don't know exactly how Rogues absorbed personalities work so trust other people's critique over this). Rogue starts to decend and maybe there comes a critical reaction where Rogues own head is betraying her maybe she thinks the other guy she has a crush on is going to help her but for whatever reason fails to help. Maybe what ends up saving her is instead of something like Gambit declaring love for her or something what ends up happening is Gambit screams that no telepath no love nothing can help her. The only thing that can save her is herself. The thing that saves Rogue is everyone believing in her but really it's just a push to realize she can save herself from whatever is in her head. And maybe Gambit risking everything to go in just to give her a confidence push and not s romantic gesture is what starts her trust in him (but she can still be all sassy and find him annoying at his pursuits and stuff)

Idk that's just my idea.