Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Why did his shirt burn off but his pants didn't?
    Unstable pant molecules.

Spectacular Member

The ritual only required 4 High Lords to be sacrificed and turned into crystals so Absolom who must have been furthest away was only weakened by the Lava but left alive. Apocalypse made mention that to complete the ritual he needed 4 High Lords to remain so Absolom gets a pass. Was expecting that the fourth spared would be Candra as she had transferred her power to the gem that Gambit found but I guess the spell was unable to sense that her bones were powerless and therefore no good.

Found the discussion between Betsy and Saturnye to be interesting as well. Saturnyne telling her that Brian was a better Captain Britain because he was human and therefore not plagued by the mutant/human conflict. It will be interesting to see how being a mutant affects how she is perceived by the people she is suppose to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    I really enjoy this book. And this issue was very fun and I liked it adressed older chronology (Candra's gem and her relation to Gambit). Marcus To is also a god.

I just don't understand the motivations of the characters. Rictor and Betsy work for Apocalypse for no reason I can understand. Just because he is in the Council? They always question his motives, but at the same time they completely do what he asks. And I didn't buy the decision Gambit made in the end completely.
    Yeah I'm also very confused... Rictor calls Apocalypse on being manipulative in this issue, but they still enable almost all of his actions. In the first couple chapters Apocalypse was being slick with it, but now they're basically his foot soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I don't see what the point of having Rictor control lava is. Magma is right there.
    To be fair, is that not the same as saying I don’t know why monet should do telepathy when Jean is right there

The reason Rictor controls lava is just simple, Tini wants to give him a highlight and smashing Externals' head with rock isn’t that cool lol.

As I'm reading this almost entirely for Apocalypse, I really enjoyed this issue. Between it and this week's X-Men issue, I'm definitely intrigued by the upcoming Swords storyline.

-Pav, who wants Chamber here now that New Mutants isn't using him...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
    The ritual only required 4 High Lords to be sacrificed and turned into crystals so Absolom who must have been furthest away was only weakened by the Lava but left alive. Apocalypse made mention that to complete the ritual he needed 4 High Lords to remain so Absolom gets a pass. Was expecting that the fourth spared would be Candra as she had transferred her power to the gem that Gambit found but I guess the spell was unable to sense that her bones were powerless and therefore no good.

Found the discussion between Betsy and Saturnye to be interesting as well. Saturnyne telling her that Brian was a better Captain Britain because he was human and therefore not plagued by the mutant/human conflict. It will be interesting to see how being a mutant affects how she is perceived by the people she is suppose to protect.
    I mean Betsy is pretty objectively the worst Captain Britain ever. She's done nothing but subvert the interests of the places she's supposed to protect. She's a complete tool and a terrible leader. Has she done anything that wasn't in accordance to what Apocalypse wants?

I almost thought Rictor had been turned into a Horseman by Apocalypse offscreen except he complains for a half second. I used to like the guy and I loved his showing in the Shatterstar mini. Now I want him dead and buried.

The wonky timeline in comics has created a pretty big problem with Selene. I haven't seen anyone mention it on this board, but she was the arc villain for the current arc of Captain America that ended this week. Working with Norman Osborn and Hydra dregs to form the Power Elite, started an incel cult and tried to kill Captain America and his allies. Also devoured the soul of Sharon Carter for youth, but got her ass beat by Sharon and turned into an old hag. The comic ends with Shuri dragging her to Krakoa to presumably face charges. Except apparently not?

So out of the initial 12 issue run of this book we have had one decent issue. This wasn't it. This was yet another garbage issue.

One of the books biggest disappointments is not establishing or making clear why this team is getting involved with otherworld. I get helping out for the initial arc because of happenstance but we're twelve issues in and we till have no idea why Jubilee, Gambit or Rogue are here.

No one outside of Rictor and Betsy seem to have any connection magic and otherworld. Meanwhile the team are brainless and follow Apocalypse plans. It's not like he is giving ultimatums or hard choices, they seriously do not seem to be able to think for themselves.

It does not bode well for X of Swords that Excalibur is what is mainly leading in to it.

Honestly, three things really triggered me if you will that left a bad taste in my mouth and make me question the purpose behind this book.

First, in the panels where Betsy and Opal are talking and the latter says that she had something special with Brian and Betsy throws back the line "but he is human", that did not sit well with me and i am not even a Brian Braddock fan yet i know enough to feel that was rather unwarranted considering all he has done and suffered as Captain Britain compared to her who while not having the role long has really done nothing but screw up and be nothing more than a pawn for Apocalypse.

Second, Gambit's actions, as someone else mentioned it was rather OOC for him to just flat out "murder" Candra if the explanation they gave on what Apocalypse did to the others rings true then he help kill someone no matter if they deserved it or not and played right into Apocalypse machinations even after all he knows about him and the warnings Candra gave.

Third, Apocalypse opening the gate, i'm not going to lie when i say i hope there are consequences to this and he and the team get taken to task for them. They essentially dragged everyone into a war not of their own making and a lot of people are going to end up paying for it. And they pretty much burned whatever bridge they had going with Opal i believe which could also have serious ramifications.

Bleh, I have this book one more issue to win me over and is more of the same. The Externals are pretty much canon fodder, the actual x-men in this title act like subservient horsemen to Apocalypse even though they are not, and they continue to be a collection of characters thrown together without reason instead of an actual team. I can safely now not pick up this title anymore, it is not for me. The X-Men in this book don’t even think for themselves, are just pawns for Apocalypse grand design. Rector, a character that I used to like just annoys me now. There’s are some people that enjoy this series because is basically an Apocalypse solo masquerading as a team book, but I am not a big fan of the character to spend money on this.

Mighty Member

I was excited for this issue because of the preview pages, but Tini is not a good writer. So many loose ends that really are trying to jump to make these things connect. While the premise is good, the plotting isn’t. The biggest thing that happened is the creation of the gate that leads to this crossover. Where I see Hickman world building in X-men, I see Tini trying to do that, but it’s just not working. The whole coven and mutant magic isn’t working for me because it’s not followed through. At least Hickman is telling the complete story of Arrako and Krakoa and building that. In my opinion, Tini hasn’t done the same for Otherworld.

I enjoy all the characters in this title, especially Betsy and that’s why I continue to read it, but it’s bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I was excited for this issue because of the preview pages, but Tini is not a good writer. So many loose ends that really are trying to jump to make these things connect. While the premise is good, the plotting isn’t. The biggest thing that happened is the creation of the gate that leads to this crossover. Where I see Hickman world building in X-men, I see Tini trying to do that, but it’s just not working. The whole coven and mutant magic isn’t working for me because it’s not followed through. At least Hickman is telling the complete story of Arrako and Krakoa and building that. In my opinion, Tini hasn’t done the same for Otherworld.

I enjoy all the characters in this title, especially Betsy and that’s why I continue to read it, but it’s bad.
    Same, I was genuinely excited because of the Externals and the possibilities that it presented, but everything about this title falls flat. You can pretty much ignore it and just follow Hickman’s X-Men and not miss anything. This title doesn’t add anything to the overall story, it’s just adds unnecessary parts. The best analogy I can make it’s that X-Men is a gourmet cake and Excalibur is just sugar, completely unnecessary to the overall flavor.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Same, I was genuinely excited because of the Externals and the possibilities that it presented, but everything about this title falls flat. You can pretty much ignore it and just follow Hickman’s X-Men and not miss anything. This title doesn’t add anything to the overall story, it’s just adds unnecessary parts. The best analogy I can make it’s that X-Men is a gourmet cake and Excalibur is just sugar, completely unnecessary to the overall flavor.
    So I'm curious and I just want to know people's opinions. Do you guys think the book is intentionally held back because it's meant as s sidepiece to xmen or do you think the writing would be the same if it was a standalone outside of Hickmans direction? Obviously people with previous Tini Howard experience can add good commentary to this