Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    That story takes place before she came to Krakoa
    No, that story ends with Shuri taking her to Krakoa to face judgment. But it appears they don't care she brought Red Skull back to life

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Another problem is the profile of characters. Especially Rogue. It's odd to see her play the background character. She has no real agency and just seems to be along for the ride. It seems it would have been easier to balance the comic if characters who where more blank pages where chosen. Characters who didn't come with this level of expectations.
    That's my point. This should always have been an Apocalypse solo that dealt with mutant magic, and he should have been given a cast of characters that he could interact him that wouldn't cause some X-Men to appear to be brain dead. But editorial either was not really sure that an Apocalyse solo would sell, or they had a list of X-Men that they needed to put in a title, or a combination of the two and we were left with Excalibur, a series that almost feel like its writer resented having to use the cast that she was given. Rogue, Gambit and Jubilee don't need to be here, they are almost incidental to the plot, nothing that they do seems to advance it and or the rare occasions that they do (like when Gambit threw Candra's gem to the portal) is to follow Apocalypse's designs, so they have zero agency in this run.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 09-19-2020 at 03:31 PM.

I just hope Apocalypse is not in this anymore so I can ignore this garbage after X of Swords.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

Mighty Member

Just so much potential wasted. This could have been the fantasy X-Men dungeons and dragons book, but it’s a mess. Great ideas poorly executed (I know, broken record)
    Captain Britain (Betsy) = Knight/Leader
    Rogue = Warrior
    Gambit = Thief
    Rictor = Elemental
    Apocalypse = Sorcerer
    Jubilee = Court Jester?
    Brian = Trying to rebuild the C.B. Corps
    Meggan = Shapeshifter
    Jamie = Mad Monarch
    Pete Wisdom = The liaison for Britain

So many characters that could play off what she’s looking to do, but I don’t think they’ve honestly been given the chance to shine at all besides Apocalypse. I’m hoping X of Swords will be more focused and then after, this magic angle needs to end or she has to wrap up loose ends and start fresh

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    No, that story ends with Shuri taking her to Krakoa to face judgment. But it appears they don't care she brought Red Skull back to life
    But how can it be set in the present Krakoa if Steve Rogers is still a fugitive from the United States and instead in War of the Realms he was no longer one.

And War of the Realms was BEFORE Krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    But how can it be set in the present Krakoa if Steve Rogers is still a fugitive from the United States and instead in War of the Realms he was no longer one.

And War of the Realms was BEFORE Krakoa

Piss poor editing, that's how.

Does Magneto know about that?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I enjoyed this issue but I really hope we lose the hokey D&D outfits soon. I think the use of the Externals and Otherworld is a clever nod to history and the new worldbuilding that's occurring.

I think this is still a weird book for Marcus To to be on. I think he's a fine artist, but his style doesn't elicit the atmosphere this story requires.

That arc began pre Krakoa in 2018 that makes no sense

Admittedly, I've been disappointed. The ideas at play in the book have potential, but the execution has been sorely lacking.

With Betsy, Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee all on the same team, this book should have been a slam dunk. The chemistry between them alone should have been off the charts. Rictor and -A- (as he is now) should have been whipped cream on top. The only people that have shown any personality whatsoever have been -A-, Jamie, and Pete Wisdom. (And even Pete should have been better.) The actual X-Men in the group - and even Brian - have been bland as all get out with no passion whatsoever.

Then add on top of that certain questionable choices.

Jubilee bringing Shogo to the Lighthouse? That didn't bother me. That's her baby and she's right about him not really being safe on Krakao. That child should have only been in Otherworld ONE time.... when Betsy brought him over without thinking. (Questionable action on Betsy's part.) Every time after that - dragon or no dragon - I can't see Jubilee risking her baby like that. NO ONE thought "Hey... Why don't we have Meggan babysit Shogo? She's a powerhouse. Brian is there (sometimes) There's Maggie, too. Nice and safe!" The closest to actual making sense was -A- offering to watch him and Jubilee saying "No."

Gambit is WAAAAAY smoother and charming than he has been written. I'm not saying he'd have no issue with -A-, but actually challenging him one on one? Sure, Gambit is a melee guy, but he's nowhere near that stupid.

And I can't for the life of me figure out why they are ALL going along with this? Betsy is bad enough. Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee and Rictor should have all said "Girl, that's a big ol HECK NO!"

Rictor... Man... That guy right there...

There have been some good moments and showings for some people... but they've been completely undermined with this repeated habit of skipping a major plotpoint, particularly after the cliffhanger or even RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ISSUE.

Not that I want to jump on the Bash Tini Bandwagon - because I REALLY want this book to work - but Chris Claremont or Warren Ellis or Peter David or Marjorie Liu would have written the HECK out of this cast and even these subplots. Twelve issues in, we would have seen payoff after payoff instead of just setup after setup after OOOH CROSSOVER THAT WILL PROBABLY INVOLVE NO ONE BUT -A- AND BETSY!!!!

BANNED

Since when has it been established that Exodus is an External?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Since when has it been established that Exodus is an External?
    He's not?...

BANNED

Finally read this and it was so good. Tini's best issue yet. I dont like the change in Rictor's power though. He shouldnt be stepping on Magma's turf