Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Sure, if it's good. I don't mind whether it's the Wolfman, CN, Go, Johns, or Whatever version it is. As long as it's good, I will be onboard.

I wanna see a live action film. Not even bothering with the live action show.

I dislike thst we will never see a movie with this lineup

Quote Originally Posted by lgcruz View Post
    While there were some obviously bad decisions, I would say that overall both movies managed to make them feel like an independent team in their own right. Judas contract almost managed to salvage nightwing and deathstroke from the horrible treatment they got in prior films and deserves credit for not inserting batman where he doesn´t belong, although damian still got the creator bias, and beast boy was robbed from the protagonist position that he had in the story.

Starting the titans in it´s own continuity is also extremely easy. If they were that desperate for nostalgia, they could simply advertise it as being a movie in the original cartoon continuity, much like JL vs the fatal five was set in the DCAU. They already did TT Go vs TT anyway...
    I thought they did a reasonable job of using Damian without overshadowing everyone else, especially with how they used Nightwing, and Gar was still part of the emotional core of the story through his relationship with Terra.

I liked how the Titans got their due in this universe as a legitimate Superhero team in their own right alongside the Justice League. Like in Reign of the Supermen Batman feels confident in leaving situations to the Titans while the League is occupied, compared to comics Batman who seems to just really not buy into the Titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But at least for me it is not just the characters but also the dynamics between them.

If I look the the line-up above I would prefer to have Jon Kent on a team with Damian and and not a scrawny version of Kon-El.
    I really liked this version of Superboy though. Felt like a good adaption of 90's Superboy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Well yeah, you use the popular characters in outside media. This lineup was awesome and better than anything the comics have done in decades! It’s a shame we didn’t get third film
    I certainly disagree that it's better than anything done in decades. It's not even the best Teen Titans inspired cartoon in the last decade, much less the comics or plural decades leading back to the original TT cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I certainly disagree that it's better than anything done in decades. It's not even the best Teen Titans inspired cartoon in the last decade, much less the comics or plural decades leading back to the original TT cartoon.
    Ok. Name me comics that were better? Titans has been a dead franchise in comics for over 30 years now, sure there was that Geoff Johns run, but that was more Young Justice than Teen Titans, and the main reason why the franchise is in such a mess in modern times (mixing the YJ team with Titans).

I see nothing wrong with the movie lineup. It’s diverse (Cyborg isn’t the token like in the comics), plenty of women, diverse power sets and personalities. What’s not to like

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Ok. Name me comics that were better? Titans has been a dead franchise in comics for over 30 years now, sure there was that Geoff Johns run, but that was more Young Justice than Teen Titans, and the main reason why the franchise is in such a mess in modern times (mixing the YJ team with Titans).

I see nothing wrong with the movie lineup. It’s diverse (Cyborg isn’t the token like in the comics), plenty of women, diverse power sets and personalities. What’s not to like
    Young Justice. I do not know why you're qualifying it.

I think the movies are bad. I think the stories and character work are shallow and the voice acting is bad. I've tried them and discarded them as not good. And it's not like I can get any novelty as a fan of the characters incidentally because they mix up character relationships I would've liked to see taken to the screen. So when you replace something I like with something bad, it's worse than just regular bad. Also the setting is weird because it, like, jumps ahead in time after establishing some past history version of the team that we never got to really see, but is important to the history of the story and bleh. It's just not good.

Having diverse characters is fine but that doesn't really qualify it for me liking it.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-20-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Young Justice. I do not know why you're qualifying it.

I think the movies are bad. I think the stories and character work are shallow and the voice acting is bad. I've tried them and discarded them as not good. And it's not like I can get any novelty as a fan of the characters incidentally because they mix up character relationships I would've liked to see taken to the screen. So when you replace something I like with something bad, it's worse than just regular bad. Also the setting is weird because it, like, jumps ahead in time after establishing some past history version of the team that we never got to really see, but is important to the history of the story and bleh. It's just not good.

Having diverse characters is fine but that doesn't really qualify it for me liking it.
    I disqualify Young Justice after that AWFUL season 3! Whoever thought giving the focus of the season to the characters they did (Halo, Geo Force, Forager) was a good idea, really shouldn’t have any say in season 4! Hopefully they focus on Beast Boys Outsiders team and leave those new characters alone.

The two films only had two new additions, Blue Beetle and Damian. Everyone else was a cameo. So there wasn’t much dynamic changes because it was still the NTT lineup, just Jaime in place of Vic and Damian as Robin.

Astonishing Member

That is not "all" the movies did. But I don't think the changes were good and even if they were done in service to the story, I think the stories were adapted poorly. I think characters like, say, Raven suffer for that reason. Not just because she was demoted to Damian Love Interest, but because all the interesting things about her character were tossed out. She's just moody goth girl and none of the actual good Raven character beats are there. Because we're focusing on the same Damian Wayne story I've seen half a dozen times and that the movies don't do anything better or unique with. Jaime, unfortunately, is treated much like Cyborg often is in these teamups. Diverse wallpaper. Similarly nothing interesting about his character is really prevalent in the story because the story obviously isn't really about Jaime. They're just poorly adapting NTT storylines and mixing and matching characters just...to mix and match. I guess. Which makes it worse for me. Since I love characters like Jaime and Raven.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-20-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Amazing Member

Well, i think you are being too harsh on jaime´s or raven´s characterization, given that these are movies and that the running time is limited, so at least they did something with what they had.

The real problem is that the enemies the titans fought were not their adversaries, they were just bad guys to be attacked. So you didn´t really get those 1 vs 1 challenges that forces a character to develop, with the exception of damian confronting his grandfather in TT vs JL, or Nightwing escaping from Deathstroke in TT:JC. Everyone else was stuck fighting trigon demons/brother blood chimera/whatever.

You are both right about the show and movies negatives, but they both have many positives, one being for both, they have Conner Kent superboy on both teams(even though terrible ending in the movie for him)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lgcruz View Post
    Well, i think you are being too harsh on jaime´s or raven´s characterization, given that these are movies and that the running time is limited, so at least they did something with what they had.

The real problem is that the enemies the titans fought were not their adversaries, they were just bad guys to be attacked. So you didn´t really get those 1 vs 1 challenges that forces a character to develop, with the exception of damian confronting his grandfather in TT vs JL, or Nightwing escaping from Deathstroke in TT:JC. Everyone else was stuck fighting trigon demons/brother blood chimera/whatever.
    I'm not really being harsh. They used the time on other, dumber things. And yes, they're basically Damian Wayne movies with a thin veneer of TT, which is another part of why I think they're crappy TT movies. That's why they turned Raven into his de-aged love interest instead of her place as Dick and Kori's contemporary. Some self insertion going on, I imagine, but that's part of why I dislike it.

I love the idea of more Titans movies. Just not the way the ones in the OP were made.
    Last edited by Dred; 09-20-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I want to see the OG/Marv Wolfman Titans or Geoff Johns Titans but not these new ones.

I think it did a good job as a more serious and different take on the property from the 2003 cartoon, even though there were obviously influences from said cartoon in their take.

I love what they did with Starfire.
    That is not "all" the movies did. But I don't think the changes were good and even if they were done in service to the story, I think the stories were adapted poorly. I think characters like, say, Raven suffer for that reason. Not just because she was demoted to Damian Love Interest, but because all the interesting things about her character were tossed out. She's just moody goth girl and none of the actual good Raven character beats are there. Because we're focusing on the same Damian Wayne story I've seen half a dozen times and that the movies don't do anything better or unique with. Jaime, unfortunately, is treated much like Cyborg often is in these teamups. Diverse wallpaper. Similarly nothing interesting about his character is really prevalent in the story because the story obviously isn't really about Jaime. They're just poorly adapting NTT storylines and mixing and matching characters just...to mix and match. I guess. Which makes it worse for me. Since I love characters like Jaime and Raven.
    I thought they got all the main beats of Raven's character in there. The sassy moody goth girl is from the 2003 cartoon but all the other significant parts of her character were there and as relevant as the Damian relationship in my opinion.

Jaime definitely took up Cyborg's slot on the team in these movies but I thought it was good to get him more promotion in that respect, and we got to see his family in an adaption for once.
    I'm not really being harsh. They used the time on other, dumber things. And yes, they're basically Damian Wayne movies with a thin veneer of TT, which is another part of why I think they're crappy TT movies. That's why they turned Raven into his de-aged love interest instead of her place as Dick and Kori's contemporary. Some self insertion going on, I imagine, but that's part of why I dislike it.

I love the idea of more Titans movies. Just not the way the ones in the OP were made.
    JLvsTT definitely had Damian as the main POV character but Judas Contract was much more of a Titans film than a Damian film.

Raven's usually de-aged along with Beast Boy so I doubt that was the only factor, and I honestly don't see any self-insert elements going on with it (I don't think the writers really inserted them into their take on Damian).

BANNED

I think what makes this Teen Titans roster interesting is how saturated it could be with personality.

You have little adult assassin Damian, celebrity hero Conner, fish-out-of-water Donna, and everyman Wallace. For a writer, that dynamic has to be fun to write, especially when you add in wannabe comedian Gar and wallflower Raven.