Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make a case for an underappreciated or much maligned character

I'm sure we've had threads like this before but whatever I imagine we all have a character or two that we enjoy but it seems like no one else does. So this is a thread where you make a case for why these characters are actually dope and deserve more love. it can be a pitch, but can just be an explanation, however you feel you can best get your point across.

I know there will be people who will pick characters that aren't really underappreciated, just not AS acclaimed as they used to be or as one might want them to be; feel free to call that out respectfully tho, I like a good debate. I got a couple characters in mind but I'ma post them later.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Throw a rock. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an underappreciated (or now non-existent) DC character.

My picks would be Fire and Ice.

So well-written and well-used during the JLI/JLA Giffen/DeMatteis period. Both strong, yet with insecurities. And entertaining abilities.

Birds of Prey did well for years as a series. Not sure why we haven't at least had a Fire and Ice mini-series.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Well, my faves from my childhood, who are back thanks to Bendis, Russell and Byrne, are the Wonder Twins, and I would say "much maligned" would fit them.

I don't blame comic fans for not liking them, based on their appearances in the cartoon Super Friends. While I have a great deal of nostalgia for that show, it unfortunately did a number on most of the characters on that show. Wonder Woman was all about her plane and lasso, Batman and Robin about their utility belts and gadgets, Aquaman about talking to fish, and Zan & Jayna were the bumbling trainees who were there for comic relief.

The show was so geared to kids, that older comic readers had very little good things to say about it, and I'm sure they stayed away from the comic version that came out, which is too bad, because it handled the characters much better, including the Wonder Twins.

Zan and Jayna were written very realistically, not knowing English, and being trained to be super heroes, going through self-defense lessons, detection, and other lessons. Zan was turning into ice-beings, tornadoes, frost giants and once, Jack Frost, freezing everything he touched. Jayna twice turned into Kryptonian animals, once beating Superman in a training session.

They were also written smarter than they were on the cartoon, and while there were occasional comedic moments when they first arrived on Earth, the disappeared in later issues of the comic's run.

Given their reception of their maxi-series, as well as appearances in Young Justice, Superman and Action Comics, I think that they may be beginning to overcome their campiness.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Throw a rock. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an underappreciated (or now non-existent) DC character.
    Boy, is that true! DC is the house of 100,000 good ideas (that DC left on a shelf in comic-book limbo).

My picks would be Fire and Ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Well, my faves from my childhood, who are back thanks to Bendis, Russell and Byrne, are the Wonder Twins, and I would say "much maligned" would fit them.

I don't blame comic fans for not liking them, based on their appearances in the cartoon Super Friends. While I have a great deal of nostalgia for that show, it unfortunately did a number on most of the characters on that show. Wonder Woman was all about her plane and lasso, Batman and Robin about their utility belts and gadgets, Aquaman about talking to fish, and Zan & Jayna were the bumbling trainees who were there for comic relief.

The show was so geared to kids, that older comic readers had very little good things to say about it, and I'm sure they stayed away from the comic version that came out, which is too bad, because it handled the characters much better, including the Wonder Twins.

They were also written smarter than they were on the cartoon, and while there were occasional comedic moments when they first arrived on Earth, the disappeared in later issues of the comic's run.

Given their reception of their maxi-series, as well as appearances in Young Justice, Superman and Action Comics, I think that they may be beginning to overcome their campiness.
    Fire & Ice (from Global Guardians) and the Wonder Twins...both from Super Friends!

I too liked the Global Guardians and would like to see more done with them...but we must not underestimate the powerful curse that is Super Friends!

It was a different world that is difficult to imagine today. There were 4 major networks:

• ABC
    • NBC
    • CBS
    • PBS

(In fact, these were the only networks my family got.) Super Friends was beamed into homes across the nation and beyond...and this was the introduction to the DC universe that far too many people received!

I can't re-watch those episodes unless it's 1.5 speed, at least,...but those episodes influence some people's thinking today.

Yes, the Super Friends comics were better...but most people didn't read them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Yes, the Super Friends comics were better...but most people didn't read them.
    I sure loved them. I still have a box of them somewhere at my parents' house. There were some great stories in those issues.

You're probably aware of this, but there is a collection that was recently released of the comics:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Friends...s=books&sr=1-1

Written by E. Nelson Bridewell (MAD Magazine) with art by Ramona Fradon (Aquaman, Metamorpho) this one-of-a-kind collection is not to be missed! The Super Friends: Saturday Morning Comics Vol. 1 collects The Super Friends #1-26, Aquateers Meet The Super Friends, and the Super Friends story and features from Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 and #C-46, with a brand-new introduction from Fradon.

Astonishing Member

I sure loved them. I still have a box of them somewhere at my parents' house. There were some great stories in those issues.

You're probably aware of this, but there is a collection that was recently released of the comics:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Friends...s=books&sr=1-1

Written by E. Nelson Bridewell (MAD Magazine) with art by Ramona Fradon (Aquaman, Metamorpho) this one-of-a-kind collection is not to be missed! The Super Friends: Saturday Morning Comics Vol. 1 collects The Super Friends #1-26, Aquateers Meet The Super Friends, and the Super Friends story and features from Limited Collectors' Edition #C-41 and #C-46, with a brand-new introduction from Fradon.
    I am aware. I'll get my copy.

I've grown surprisingly fond of Wendy, Wonderdog and Marvin.

So many good ideas in this comic...that sadly disappeared (into comic-book limbo).

Extraordinary Member

Scare Tactics
    A group of monstrous teenagers and an paranoid human conspiracy theorist that form a rock band and are on the run from an evil government agency.
    Really fun but unfortunately short lived and very obscure

Bunker has extremely visually cool powers, a very fun personality as a sort of ethical hedonist who knows how sexy he is, and just overall could stand to show up more often. Looks like he hasn't been in a comic since 2016, which is a real shame.

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Scare Tactics
    A group of monstrous teenagers and an paranoid human conspiracy theorist that form a rock band and are on the run from an evil government agency.
    Really fun but unfortunately short lived and very obscure

They sound great. I'm surprised they never popped up in a Constantine/Raven/Justice league dark comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Bunker has extremely visually cool powers, a very fun personality as a sort of ethical hedonist who knows how sexy he is, and just overall could stand to show up more often. Looks like he hasn't been in a comic since 2016, which is a real shame.

I think he was in Red Hood Outlaw a couple arc back.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 09-18-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'm going to go a different route and say Electric Superman/Superman Red & Superman Blue.

Yes, the concept was super gimmicky. Yes, I prefer a traditional Superman with traditional powers. But it was interesting to see Superman struggling to adapt to his new powers, and I enjoyed when he was split into two beings with different personalities.
    Last edited by kingaliencracker; 09-18-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post

I don't blame comic fans for not liking them, based on their appearances in the cartoon Super Friends. While I have a great deal of nostalgia for that show, it unfortunately did a number on most of the characters on that show. Wonder Woman was all about her plane and lasso, Batman and Robin about their utility belts and gadgets, Aquaman about talking to fish, and Zan & Jayna were the bumbling trainees who were there for comic relief..

Never understood the grief that the Wonder Twins get. THEY AT LEAST HAD POWERS!!! They used those powers to save the day from time to time... I had zero problems with the twins even as a kid.

Wendy and Marvin and the wonder dog though... THAT was a joke. I never liked them. At least the twins were still super heroes ;P

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I'm going to go a different route and say Electric Superman/Superman Red & Superman Blue.

Yes, the concept was super gimmicky. Yes, I prefer a traditional Superman with traditional powers. But it was interesting to see Superman struggling to adapt to his new powers, and I enjoyed when he was split into two beings with different personalities.
    I'm surprised they never did an elseworlds with them. Just have Clark have those powers from the start.

Lorena Marquez and Koryak. These were somewhat prominent poc Aquaman characters before Jackson Hyde was created and all have interesting aspects that could make them popular and beloved characters if given the chance. Lorena (originally) is shown to be clever, brave and heroic despite the tragedy of losing her parents. Koryak had some issues in his original depiction but could work if modified in current writing. Both characters also continue the main theme of most of the Aqua family being outsiders/outcasts in a sense from Atlantian society. Koryak is a hybrid and Lorena is a human-turned-Atlantian.

If both were to return, I'd put them in a spinoff book with Jackson Hyde.

Atlee the third Terra. She had an interesting dynamic with Karen and it would be nice to see her interact with other teen heroes.

Power Girl has a big hurdle to get through but there are some good directions they could take her in like a multiverse police agent.