Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

A character that means so much to so many, who has transcended the limitations of the silver screen. And yet this is a franchise. How do you move on from here?

My feeling is that this is a seminal moment for Marvel. They have their first real opportunity to prove that a single actor does not define a specific, inherently immortal character. Black Panther, T'Challa, is the opportunity to show that the inspiration goes far beyond any single actor, however much that actor defined the role. The character is who we look up to, who speaks to us to achieve greater things.

This is Marvel's opportunity to grow. I look forward to see how they grasp that opportunity.
    I'm fine with whatever Coogler is comfortable with.

I don't agree with the arguements that recasting Black Panther is disrespectful... nor do I agree with the arguements that replacing T'Challa with Shuri is disrespectful. I think either option will get criticism... but I think either option will ultimately work.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-26-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think I would make this decision in consultation with Ryan Coogler, the cast members, Chadwick Boseman's family, and maybe some other prominent Black actors and industry people to try and figure out the best way to go forward, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm fine with whatever Coogler is comfortable with.

I don't agree with the arguements that recasting Black Panther is disrespectful... nor do I agree with the arguements that replacing T'Challa with Shuri is disrespectful. I think either option will get criticism... but I think either option will ultimately work.
    Yea anything Coogler decides im down with. Id rather not recast and have Shuri take up the mantle. Killmonger come in to train her inspired by whatever sacrifice tchalla makes. though him being alive undercuts his message from the climax. . Maybe even Bucky be involved in her training. I get why people want Killmonger to become BP though. Other then T'challa hes the only one blessed by heart shaped herb. But there's ways around that, they can write another one in or have Shuri synthesize it artificially. Shuri also gives a chance for another strong female lead with Widow out.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-17-2020 at 05:43 PM.

I imagine he'd want the character to live on.
    Boseman had a great opportunity to bring T'Challa to life, and would want that opportunity to continue for other actors like him, of his peers, or of later generation.
    If it's in the next movie, and they can find the right guy, and all involved are ok with it great!
    I'd love to see it.
    If not, it doesn't have to be in this incarnation of the franchise, if they want to make Shuri inherit the mantle going forward fantastic.
    It plays well for what they have set-up and built, and would be an incredible, painful yet powerful arc for her character, and the world of Wakanda.

As far as never recasting, I don't think so. If what it takes is time.
    Eventually a new gen will want to explore the character, make him their own, and bring him to life in film, and they absolutely should be allowed and encouraged to do so.
    Boseman's incarnation is with us forever.
    Yet the character should not die with Boseman.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-17-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea anything Coogler decides im down with. Id rather not recast and have Shuri take up the mantle. Killmonger come in to train her inspired by whatever sacrifice tchalla makes. though him being alive undercuts his message from the climax. . Maybe even Bucky be involved in her training. I get why people want Killmonger to become BP though. Other then T'challa hes the only one blessed by heart shaped herb. But there's ways around that, they can write another one in or have Shuri synthesize it artificially. Shuri also gives a chance for another strong female lead with Widow out.
    There's a lot of interesting options.

Recasting is the most obvious. Shuri is a close second. But I do think as crazy as it sounds on paper, a resurrected and redeemed Killmonger actualy does kind of work. Because he is technically royal family he could be Black Panther while Shuri is on the throne (in comics they can be 2 separte things... we saw that in the Civil War movie). I've even hard a few Kasper Cole theories out there.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this. Several options... and all of them will likely be criticised no matter what Coogler does.

Extraordinary Member

I'd rather a recast Derek Luke or someone in that vein. Going to Shuri so soon is def a wrong move imo.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There's a lot of interesting options.

Recasting is the most obvious. Shuri is a close second. But I do think as crazy as it sounds on paper, a resurrected and redeemed Killmonger actualy does kind of work. Because he is technically royal family he could be Black Panther while Shuri is on the throne (in comics they can be 2 separte things... we saw that in the Civil War movie). I've even hard a few Kasper Cole theories out there.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this. Several options... and all of them will likely be criticised no matter what Coogler does.
    Yea the only issue with Shuri as BP is she can't fight. All she can do is blast people with her Panther gauntlets. Unless she was hiding her skills. So either were gonna get some extensive training montages lol or maybe she becomes a hybrid between Black Panther and Iron Man. Use way more tech in her suit..

As far as recating the only person I can really see stepping into is the runner up supposedly from the original auditions. Aldis Hodge, he has a similar look and body type to Chadwick. Hodge might be a bit bulkier iono. But honestly I'd rather they not recast until the MCU reboots . Again though I trust Coogler. Whatever he decides.

What werre the White Tiger theories? Just him pulling a Scott Lang?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea the only issue with Shuri as BP is she can't fight. All she can do is blast people with her Panther gauntlets. Unless she was hiding her skills. So either were gonna get some extensive training montages lol or maybe she becomes a hybrid between Black Panther and Iron Man. Use way more tech in her suit..

As far as recating the only person I can really see stepping into is the runner up supposedly from the original auditions. Aldis Hodge, he has a similar look and body type to Chadwick. Hodge might be a bit bulkier iono. But honestly I'd rather they not recast until the MCU reboots . Again though I trust Coogler. Whatever he decides.

What werre the White Tiger theories? Just him pulling a Scott Lang?
    I could totally see M'Baku or Okoye doing an 80's style Rocky training montage with Shuri. Or even Killmonger I guess. But outside of the tribal challenge thing, she doesn't necessarily need fighting skill. She can go the Iron Man route anytime she wants. With no heart shaped herb, tech might be the way to go for future BP's.

People seem to prefer shuri taking over than recasting so I'd go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    A character that means so much to so many, who has transcended the limitations of the silver screen. And yet this is a franchise. How do you move on from here?

My feeling is that this is a seminal moment for Marvel. They have their first real opportunity to prove that a single actor does not define a specific, inherently immortal character. Black Panther, T'Challa, is the opportunity to show that the inspiration goes far beyond any single actor, however much that actor defined the role. The character is who we look up to, who speaks to us to achieve greater things.

This is Marvel's opportunity to grow. I look forward to see how they grasp that opportunity.
    I think they need to leave the Black Panther out of it for a couple of years.

It's a hard choice that will get criticism no matter what they do. They could recast but that gets to be an issue. The reality is that there are some characters that recasting would work and some I don't think it will. I don't think they could recast Tony Stark until a long time and a reboot. Obviously, they could recast Bruce Banner. I don't know which category Boseman was in. That they recast Banner shows they already know they can do it under the right circumstances.

I'd go with what Boseman's family is okay with.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Honestly, I think the smartest play here is to take what has happened in real life and apply it to the film. Boseman's death has revealed just how much he has inspired people in this role. So let that be his legacy in the film as well, and have his T'Challa inspire the next BP to take up the mantle.

Now, who do you put in the suit? Shuri makes a ton of sense, and lets you build off what we've already seen in the first BP film. But I could see them going with a different character. (What was the second BP's name in the comics? Cole?) But whatever you do, you stress the legacy. That this character is being driven by the memory of who T'Challa was, and what he represented, in the same way that the franchise is now being driven by the memory of Boseman.

If handled delicately, and with respect, I think it could not only make a good film, but serve as a fitting memorial for both the man and the character he played.

What is best for character of Black Panther and general franchise is to recast. What is best to honor Boseman and functional carry on in the MCU without him that is a different question. I said in the black panther thread it is not a easy decision and marvel is going to have explore all the options. It wouldn't be the black panther that hardcore fans want but Shuri has storylines where she takes over, In fact the most recent Shuri book had T'Challa in space. So there is world where they kinda do that storyline Shuri takesover when Black Panther is sent into space to save Wakanda and assumed dead. Giving the flexibility to use Shuri right away,If Shuri catches on they can stick with her. If she doesn't or they just want use T'challa again they can bring T'challa out of space limbo with a new actor.

For me the choices are recast or use Shuri. But I gave the Hybrid answer where you do both for the present use Shuri with intention of bring back T'challa later couple years from now and let people more receptive of new actor and remove away from Chadwick death some BUT I don't think there is a wrong answer to what you do but also there isn't a completely right answer either.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-18-2020 at 02:19 AM.

Fantastic Member

If they're not recasting the role, I think I'd prefer Nakia over Shuri as the new Black Panther. I felt Lupita Nyong’o was wasted as the love interest. And Shuri, to me, works better as the funny sidekick/tech person. She as the quippy, enthusiastic acrobatic young hero sound a bit too similar to Spider-Man. Nakia would probably have more of mature vibe that I associate with Black Panther.

Honestly I feel Marvel should do exactly what they were already planning on doing, if that was moving forward with T’Challa then go on with a recast. If Shuri is going to be stepping into the mantle then find a way to write BP out maybe killed by Namor? And proceed that way...

MCU Shuri just doesn’t seem like she is leading into becoming BP imo. They have portrayed her as a genius level tech guru not a warrior so to me it would seem forced to have her in the suit fighting. Just my opinion...