Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Personally I don't think there's any one step that's more or less appropriate. Either the recast, or the passing the mantle method can work.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    A recast could work. If they're doing that, I'd recommend introducing the new actor in a separate film first before they go with Black Panther 2. I could understand why they'd want to go with this way, given that the work for the sequel has been based on the idea that T'Challa would be the lead, and narratively they dug themselves into a hole with T'Challa having the last of the panther herb.

The cast was deep and rich enough that they could also go forward without T'Challa. Although the loss might dominate the story.
    Well, T'Challa IS Black Panther, aside from Shuri temporarily taking the mantle in the comics. So I'm not sure how successful a Black Panther franchise will be going forward if T'Challa is not Black Panther for the majority of the Black Panther franchise in the MCU.

To me, that would be like the DCEU having a Batman franchise, but someone other than Bruce Wayne is in the Bat suit for the majority of the Batman franchise and in other movies set in that DCEU. It just wouldn't be the same because Bruce Wayne IS Batman. You can cast different actors to be Bruce Wayne/Batman, but making other characters Batman doesn't quite work (if that makes any sense).
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-19-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Well, T'Challa IS Black Panther, aside from Shuri temporarily taking the mantle in the comics. So I'm not sure how successful a Black Panther franchise will be going forward if T'Challa is not Black Panther for the majority of the Black Panther franchise in the MCU.
    In the comics I 100% agree. Legacy character are always temporary. Shuri, Jane Foster, Sam, etc... all just stand ins for the sake of doing a story.

But I think the MCU is POTENTIALLY different. Since basically ALL the MCU movies thus far have been sucessful, I think there's a greater willingness to give certain characters definative beginning, middle and ends to their stories. Guys like Tony Stark and Steve Rogers can walk off into the sunset and potentially be replaced since the next MCU likely will be a sucess with or without them.

Which isn't to say that T'Challa necessarily needs to walk off into the sunset like Steve and Tony YET... that's up to Coogler. But if/when that day comes, I think Disney has enough strength as a brand name to put out a Shuri movie (or a Kasper Cole movie or a redeemed Killmonger) movie and still be sucessful. Fiege has sort of earned that benefit of the doubt fom the audience.

Astonishing Member

Tony and Steve walking off into the sunset felt natural because they've been around for 10+ years and Endgame was a finale. It would not feel right for T'Challa after just 4 films in any way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Tony and Steve walking off into the sunset felt natural because they've been around for 10+ years and Endgame was a finale. It would not feel right for T'Challa after just 4 films in any way.
    Also a big difference is those two characters get to take a break at a time where Marvel was tee’ing up Black Panther, more AntMan, more, Spider-Man, more Guardians, Captain Marvel, a Black Widow franchise...... AND they now get to incorporate two cornerstone pieces in the MCU with the X-Men and Fantastic Four. They can kinda afford to relax those two characters for awhile before recasting because they have so much going on and they told a full story with those actors. I think phase 5 or 6 may be when we see a true recast and get them in the fold again. It was great timing

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Also a big difference is those two characters get to take a break at a time where Marvel was tee’ing up Black Panther, more AntMan, more, Spider-Man, more Guardians, Captain Marvel, a Black Widow franchise...... AND they now get to incorporate two cornerstone pieces in the MCU with the X-Men and Fantastic Four. They can kinda afford to relax those two characters for awhile before recasting because they have so much going on and they told a full story with those actors. I think phase 5 or 6 may be when we see a true recast and get them in the fold again. It was great timing
    Honestly I think for most of the Avengers they're going with legacy characters over recasting.

We know for sure that Sam is taking over for Captain America. Jane is at least sharing the Thor mantle if not flat out taking it over. Marvel has confirmed that we're getting a She-Hulk TV series... and I believe Kate Bishop is confirmed for the Hawkeye TV show. I'd bet money we're getting another Black Widow in the Black Widow movie. So really, the only original Avenger at the time who doesn't have a replacement is Iron Man.

Even for the next generation of marvel super heroes, there's potentially Shuri for Black Panther and perhaps even a grown up Monica Rambeu for Captain Marvel and Cassie Lang for Scott down the line.

I think the MCU is looking like a very well oiled machine, which is ready to replace old parts with new ones. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean T'Challa needs to be replaced NOW... but I think the option seems to be a built in part of the design for most of the marvel charcters at this point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I think for most of the Avengers they're going with legacy characters over recasting.

We know for sure that Sam is taking over for Captain America. Jane is at least sharing the Thor mantle if not flat out taking it over. Marvel has confirmed that we're getting a She-Hulk TV series... and I believe Kate Bishop is confirmed for the Hawkeye TV show. I'd bet money we're getting another Black Widow in the Black Widow movie. So really, the only original Avenger at the time who doesn't have a replacement is Iron Man.

Even for the next generation of marvel super heroes, there's potentially Shuri for Black Panther and perhaps even a grown up Monica Rambeu for Captain Marvel and Cassie Lang for Scott down the line.

I think the MCU is looking like a very well oiled machine, which is ready to replace old parts with new ones. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean T'Challa needs to be replaced NOW... but I think the option seems to be a built in part of the design for most of the marvel charcters at this point.
    I kinda doubt it. They’ll eventually want a Steve Rogers and a Tony Stark. If they were all in on Sam as Cap he wouldn’t be relegated to a Disney plus show called “Falcon and the Winter Soldier”. I kinda see that being a place holder until they can either drag Evans back or enough times passes where they can recast without it being jarring. Thor still exists so regardless of what Jane does you have that. Hulk will always be there. As good as Ruffalo is, you really just CGI Hulk anyways so they’ll never lose him. It’s the first Black Widow movie. I can’t see them moving on from Scarlet without getting forced. They’ll just pull a Gamora and take her out of the timeline.

Really there’s only two that need to be replaced and they have so much going on that nobody is going to miss them for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post

To me, that would be like the DCEU having a Batman franchise, but someone other than Bruce Wayne is in the Bat suit for the majority of the Batman franchise and in other movies set in that DCEU. It just wouldn't be the same because Bruce Wayne IS Batman. You can cast different actors to be Bruce Wayne/Batman, but making other characters Batman doesn't quite work (if that makes any sense).
    I also said this in the Black Panther thread, Shuri is a Princess. I doubt there is any company more prepare to sell a princess to an audience than Disney. You are absolute nuts if you think Disney can't successful sell a young princess forced to pick up mantle of queen and superhero after her brother and father are death. You can even see storyline Shuri at first reject the mantle because she thinks that she isn't prepared to bear the mantle and come to realization she is the right person for it. It is a woman stepping into mantle that traditional been male thing and having to prove she is as good as man and young hero who has to grown into mantle. Oh yeah she is the smartest girl on the planet. Shuri being Black Panther would be one of strongest young female power fantasy tales you could do on film.

I may not be best move for the franchise overall I can understand that argument. But I don't see the not successful thing I can see very successful path with Shuri if they decide to go with that option there is a clear lane for success. She might not appeal to dudes 18-32 but I can see Women,Children, MCU fans and enough hardcore Black Panther fans/18 to 32 males to be very successful in a different way the more serious action focus,heavily dramatic Black Panther would have been.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-19-2020 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Yeah, especially since in "Infinity War" and "End Game" he only had a few scenes.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Mighty Member

Default T'Challa never being recast

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ma...-never-recast/

They're being stubborn by insisting this. They'll have to recast eventually as you can't have BP without T'Challa. Plus it's insulting to other actors not to be considered just because of Chadwick's death. By that line of thinking must've never recast Batman after Adam West played him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

They're being stubborn by insisting this. They'll have to recast eventually as you can't have BP without T'Challa. Plus it's insulting to other actors not to be considered just because of Chadwick's death. By that line of thinking must've never recast Batman after Adam West played him.
    Exactly.

Nate Moore's interview is starting to generate debate around this.

I understand Boseman's colleagues not wanting to recast to honor him but at the same time "cancelling" T'Challa permanently isn't the way the go. The worst thing about this was it was decided within minutes not to ever recast T'Challa, that's a knee jerk reaction and permanent creative decisions shouldn't be generated from knee jerk reactions.

I would have advised they delay the movie and recast.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-17-2021 at 04:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Well its not exactly like Adam west or other recasts. He died. Adam West lived till he was 90 or whatever. So its not the same thing. The real question is has there been a recast of a character that we can remember who died in a show or movie so soon after? I don't recall, but maybe there has.

I heard this from the beginning. For now, no. But in time, who knows?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I think it is kind of dumb. Just because an actor died after the movie. yes it was close to after but still. He defined Black Panther. Okay good. Chris Reeves Defined Superman but they still recast him. He suffered a bad injury (Yes a while after his movies) still they recast him. he is dead they are still recasting him. How many actors in the past have died and they still recast them for a remake years later. it doesnt matter to me if an actor died a year after a movie or 20 years. It is kind of a dumb call to me. But to be honest if any Black Panther movie does no do well then they will go back and recast Tchalla. I really have no interest in seeing a Black Panther movie with out the character in it.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-16-2021 at 01:59 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I didn't know Boseman personally (obviously), but based on his interviews and how he conducted himself while he was alive, I firmly believe he would have wanted the role to be recast, and another African American actor to be given such a big opportunity as he had been given.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans