Default What is the message in Superman: For Tomorrow

Alright this has been killing me. Just read Superman for tomorrow. Loved it, but I think there may be some contradictions in the story. In 215 he says that everything he is is because of an ending and asks himself why does he fight against endings. No less than 10 pages he tells zod that his father would stop the destruction of a world, and proceeds to say, " And I will as well." Last part is when he describes abandoning the world he built to save earth from krypton's fate, and says, "father, forgive me, but it's that easy." So is superman flip flopping between letting fate take its course and saving his world, is there any coherent message beneath this, or was Brian Azzarello high as a kite while writing this? Thank you for any input.

Hm. I think part of the story is Clark grappling with his limits and struggling to try to save everything. We see that with him attempting to enact regime change, or when he builds that sanctuary in the Phantom Zone in the first place. Superman wrestles with his desire to save everything despite the story repeatedly showing he can’t do everything and be everywhere at once seems to be one of the core themes. Ultimately I guess I’d say the big theme is that despite the odds being against him succeeding, Superman won’t ever stop trying to prevent another Krypton. However I don’t rate For Tomorrow that highly so I think part of the mixed messaging is Azz himself is struggling to tell the story he set it out to do.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Probably the toughest question there is ROFL. I have read it several times and it's not hard to understand, but over those twelve issues there are so many things attempted that I don't even know apparently.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I can't remember where, but I seem to remember Azzarello admitting in an interview that the story kind of got away from him and Jim Lee was what saved it. Can't say I really disagree with him.

When I saw the thread title, the smartass in me was thinking "the message is that Azzarello shouldn't write Superman," but upon reading your post... that's a very good question, and I honestly have no idea.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Like Hush, Jim Lee's art can really elevate not-so-good stories.

Wow, it's been a hot minute since I read this, but I think Vordan is mostly on point; it's about our limitations and whether we should accept them or try to push beyond them. We see Clark try to do a lot of good work in that story, stuff that goes deeper and further than just stopping crimes and natural disasters, and it usually comes back to bite him in the ass and make things worse. Does that mean it's not worth trying? Does that mean Clark lacks the insight and wisdom to make the *right* choices and changes? Or do those questions not matter at all because the whole point is the journey and the intention?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There are clear points made when say, that kid throws the rock. The moments themselves work even if they're heavy and joyless. But the big picture is a mess. One of two things may fit:

A. Superman is not a god and shouldn't behave as one

B. Superman is a god and we are pissy, phony believers
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    There are clear points made when say, that kid throws the rock. The moments themselves work even if they're heavy and joyless. But the big picture is a mess. One of two things may fit:

Sounds like a message i would agree with. I believe, i might not be included in second option cause i am secretly lex luthor.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Forgive me. It's been 15 years since I've read For Tomorrow so my memory may be a little fuzzy. But this is the gist of what I remember:

- Superman decides to build a device that would send Earth's populace into the Phantom Zone in an emergency.

- Superman decides this is a bad idea and makes himself forget he created the machine instead of you know...destroying it.

- Said machine falls into the wrong hands, who send tons of people including Lois into the Phantom Zone.

- Superman saves the day ultimately including a battle with Zod XVIII but then runs away at the end.

So for me, it's a story where Superman acts irresponsibly, bad things happen, and he's not accountable.

Outside of the art and Superman putting both Batman & Wonder Woman in their place I don't have a fond recollection of the story overall.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

I have learned to love For Tomorrow. The art is a big part of it but I found it a subversive, almost hidden valentine to Silver Age Superman. I think your take is fairly spot on.