Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    I'm not Destiny I can't predict the future, so far they said they want their medicine exports to be fair even when it comes to accessibility in poorer countries .......other than this we can merely speculate
    I can agree to that, I'm just going off what Magento and Wolverine said. Krakoa's existence does have an impact on another countries because they plan on adopting the same crony capitalist practices of humans, which are pretty much bad no matter who does it.

The medicine, as Magneto stated in X-Men #4, is only the first step in a bigger plot to subvert and control the global economy. The mutants are absolutely justified to do what they're doing, but they're still taking control of an inherently exploitative system and stand a good chance of emboldening it. We'll see where they go and what Hickman and co. do with these ideas though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    The funny thing is that it's not really their fault, the other countries allow this; which is insane. Im not an expert in economics but the premise of Magneto's plan, if i understand correctly, is that Krakoa is basically an economic leech.

You buy medicines from them but they dont buy anything from you, neither services or goods, so they never stop gaining money. In the real world, a country like that would have face a shitton of taxes or probably not even opening trade with them.

I dont see the drugs being good enough to make them forget about this, especially when we take into consideration the other parts of the agreement like the gates, mutant criminals ect...

In other words they are doing nothing illegal, is just that the rest of the nations of the world are stupid bar Wakanda.
    To be fair, it could be political expediency that causes them to accept the deal. If I had a mother suffering from dementia I'd do everything in my power to demand my politicians accept the trade deal no matter what the long-term consequences were. I could see that playing a big role in lots of countries, especially democratic western ones where chronic diseases are more common and where long life is obsessed over.

But you're right in that it's an obvious leverage thing that Krakoa's playing at. Most countries probably just don't care and like Magneto said can't help themselves but potentially cash in. Big Pharma gets to distribute Krakoan-made drugs, politicians get a boost among constituents, and as we saw in X-Force they're even doing R&D. It's a good deal in the moment but long term they all know what it leads to. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wakanda doesn't even have drugs on the same level of Krakoa and that they simply refuse the drugs because they don't want to give them leverage.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Wakanda said they donīt need them as well as Latveria and I believe them given their tecnology. In a way Krakoa is sharing what has been some of the resources usually only used by the super teams of marvel.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-19-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Wakanda said they donīt need them as well as Laveria and I believe them given their tecnology. In a way Krakoa is sharing what has been some of the resources usually only used by the super teams of marvel.
    "They do not need mutant drugs" could be referring to how even if they don't have Krakoa-level medicine they still don't want it because they're content with what they have. Like I don't need a Lamborghini even though I'd prefer one and like my current car well enough lol. I could be entirely wrong, but I think that if that were the case it'd show how much Wakanda really doesn't wanna take the drugs. But you're right, they probably just already have their own tech.

Astonishing Member

I think the trade part is way too technical to get into the comics right now but if we take the real world as a template and if they have trade with all the nations who made an agreement with them, that means that trade goes both ways, itīs also the reason Xavier travels so much, because a trade deal must be discussed before being put to work. Thatīs how globalization works. Sure Magneto and Xavier put it in rude words with some of the ambassadors and the guy who wanted to kill them, but the fact of the matter is that this type of trade deals have been around since there have been nations.

In reality this is also why they need to grow their population, because eventually trade deals are hard to keep when you are dealing with competition from all the other countries you have a deal with. I guess we will eventually see another kind of business once their economy develops from making their drugs towards a more mature economy.

I donīt really need the comics to tell me all this because they are a fictional world after all, not an economy magazine, still I think this can lead to some interesting stories with X-Corp, Angel, Sunspot and M could manage this aspect of the economy of Krakoa.

Even Magnetoīs comment about making sure certain people donīt get resources is about fighting the people who make sentinels in an industrial level on the economy front so they donīt have to deal with them later in a war.

I think the main problem with Krakoa is not their existence as a nation but the actitude they are taking while building said nation but who knows maybe the X-writers will reveal something later on to give us more information about how they conduct their bussines elsewhere.

On topic: I like how Wolverine explained this to She Hulk I am liking Ewing writing a lot here, hope the classified X-title is written by him.
    I agree an X-Corps book focusing on the economic side of Krakoa would be a great way to explore these ideas. I'm fast losing interest in Marauders so if X-Corps was around I think it'd add some cool layers to Krakoa's interactions with the outside world and how they're handling these new economic responsibilities.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Wakanda said they donīt need them as well as Laveria and I believe them given their tecnology. In a way Krakoa is sharing what has been some of the resources usually only used by the super teams of marvel.
    Pretty much this. Thanks to Krakoa, we could potentially see the democratization of super-tech, making it available to the masses instead of reserving it for what amounts to --- in a less-charitable interpretation --- a superpowered elite. That's the general idea of transhumanism, that people can and should have full access to technologies that can improve, if not enhance, human capabilities and lifespans, though there's also the very understandable fear that such technologies will only be reserved for those who can afford them, thus leading to crystallized social inequities wherein those who are already economically powerful become a literal superhuman overclass, while the unenhanced poor become a (more) subjugated underclass.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Yes but in the marvel universe most elite rich already have access to tecnology to either become a super human in fact thatīs how Wonder Man got his powers or to have larger life spans. The X-men are bassically making their medicine available to everybody else who would not have the resources to adquire it by their own means.

But I agree the problem then becomes distribution, like we saw on the wolverine and new mutants comics, thereīs already a waiting list, in that case I suppose they could develop a program for the people who are put on a waiting list but this also involves getting into the politics of the nations and thatīs way more complicated and they would also be overesteping their limits as a trade nation. But I can see them individually giving it to the people they know that need it.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yes but in the marvel universe most elite rich already have access to tecnology to either become a super human in fact thatīs how Wonder Man got his powers or to have larger life spans. The X-men are bassically making their medicine available to everybody else who would not have the resources to adquire it by their own means.

But I agree the problem then becomes distribution, like we saw on the wolverine and new mutants comics, thereīs already a waiting list, in that case I suppose they could develop a program for the people who are put on a waiting list but this also involves getting into the politics of the nations and thatīs way more complicated and they would also be overesteping their limits as a trade nation. But I can see them individually giving it to the people they know that need it.
    Good points as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Glitter...
    I’ve heard it. It’s really not he’ll incarnate, and frankly, I think there are worse Mariah Carey albums
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

BANNED

????????

Why is jennifer getting dragged in her own book for something completely unrelated?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    ????????

Why is jennifer getting dragged in her own book for something completely unrelated?
    Because don't mess with Krakoa!!

He told her ass!!

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Because don't mess with Krakoa!!
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    ????????

Because apparently Hulks try to win the misery Olympics in convos with mutants and mutants are the undisputed champions.

I think the trade part is way too technical to get into the comics right now but if we take the real world as a template and if they have trade with all the nations who made an agreement with them, that means that trade goes both ways, itīs also the reason Xavier travels so much, because a trade deal must be discussed before being put to work. Thatīs how globalization works. Sure Magneto and Xavier put it in rude words with some of the ambassadors and the guy who wanted to kill them, but the fact of the matter is that this type of trade deals have been around since there have been.
    My problem is not Magneto's attitude, arrogance is justify if he can back up, the problem comes with the logic. Almost every economist would know what they are doing, Magneto presents the plan with the idea that the mutants dont need money, they only want to become rich to buy them.

He is literally giving no reasons to why a country should trade with them.

Now responding to chief12d, political expediency is probably the official reason.

The thing is, several of the mutants demands are definitely political expediency too.

A) Mutants are Krakoa citizens
    B) Mutants cannot be judge by human tribunals
    C) Krakoa wants Gates open inside your own borders, Gates that you cant cross but they can whenever they want.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 09-19-2020 at 10:58 PM.