Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Wonderverse in 2021

So, new year is coming up, 5g or really and rebut plans have be shot down by DC comics, and a lot of things still very unclear. What does everyone think is going to be happening?

I don't think Diana is getting a new origin or anything like that. I think a lot of her mythos will be changing to fit a larger timeline. I think she will still be "stuck" in a way when it comes to defining who she is out side of warrior woman. I don't think we will get any modern adaptations of previous golden age villains for a long time. I fear Jason will be back for more than a brief camo. I hope that Diana stays with the JLD as a team leader. I want to see a Diana that shows her power more so from trials and challenges that are more than just fights.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

My gut still has me thinking they plan on sticking with the WWII origin and thus they will indeed have to to retell it in either her monthly or a mini. Where things would go from there gets substantially more muddy. Its still possible they just drop it after Death Metal ends, but in terms of keeping up with other media synergy I think they're going to want to keep it, and thus resulting in massive changes to her lore by extension. The biggest would be the status of the classic supporting cast. If Steve and Etta are with Diana from beginning, they'd be dead by the present day. Steve is no stranger to resurrection storylines though. He had that market tied up pre-Crisis well before The Death of Superman made it popular comics-wide. So they could use that as an excuse to still have him there with her in present day stories.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-13-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Revamp probably in January, agree with Sacred Knight that I think movie synergy and DC's apparent plans for the JSA will lead to a WW2 revamped origin even if 5G is dead in the water. While it could work depending on the writer, I'm not a fan of tossing out Year One just to help the JSA.

It's also her 80th anniversary so probably another anniversary special and a hardcover collection.

Personally, I just mainly want Historia to finally get a solicitation date and that Diana stays on the JLD.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Personally, I just mainly want Historia to finally get a solicitation date and that Diana stays on the JLD.
    I check the solicits for this every month, and every month I am disappointed. And mentally check out for the rest of the line beyond looking at what TGL will be about.

If they do the WWII thing, I agree that Steve will probably be around back then and be resurrected in the present. Modern day Etta could be a descendant of the original and named after her, so we could get original Holliday girl Etta and modern black Etta.

One of the advantages would be to have Paula von Gunther work in her original context, and we'd likely get both Priscilla Rich and Barbara Minerva in canon.

It's possible they'll tell the story in the secret origin Death metal tie in. A quick one and done.

My hope is that DC takes the year to actually invest in Wonder woman. I see she seems to be headlining endless Winter and "technically" Death metal so I do have some hope.

What she needs is a good creative team with story ideas that are actually interesting. I hope we can stop tying her operations with the american government/military. This just feel inherently counter to her mission and also doesn't make sense as a diplomat. Myth stories are... Okay, but I wish that isn't the focus either. Developing her rouge's gallery should be the focus.

Would also be nice if she actually treated her family as such.

Hell they could always revive Sensation Comics. Do WWII stories there, modern day stories in WW? Or maybe even use Sensation as a vehicle for the entire first gen era, as an anthology title?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I check the solicits for this every month, and every month I am disappointed. And mentally check out for the rest of the line beyond looking at what TGL will be about.

If they do the WWII thing, I agree that Steve will probably be around back then and be resurrected in the present. Modern day Etta could be a descendant of the original and named after her, so we could get original Holliday girl Etta and modern black Etta.

One of the advantages would be to have Paula von Gunther work in her original context, and we'd likely get both Priscilla Rich and Barbara Minerva in canon.
    Yeah, I keep thinking under the right writer it possibly be a cool fusion of Marston and the Post-Crisis stuff but it probably won't.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-13-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Snyder was supposed to write a JSA comic with Wonder Woman as the founding member so I think they might tell her new origin story there. She did refer to the JSA as “old friends” in Death Metal so I think they're moving ahead with that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, I keep thinking under the right writer it possibly be a cool fusion of Marston and the Post-Crisis stuff but it probably won't.
    That's what I'm hoping for, the closest we've gotten to that vibe was the Jimenez run but he had to deal with the time traveling Hippolyta nonsense.

Something like that but with Diana herself would be ideal, but I'm not sure I trust DC's current talent to excite me with the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    It's possible they'll tell the story in the secret origin Death metal tie in. A quick one and done.

My hope is that DC takes the year to actually invest in Wonder woman. I see she seems to be headlining endless Winter and "technically" Death metal so I do have some hope.

What she needs is a good creative team with story ideas that are actually interesting. I hope we can stop tying her operations with the american government/military. This just feel inherently counter to her mission and also doesn't make sense as a diplomat. Myth stories are... Okay, but I wish that isn't the focus either. Developing her rouge's gallery should be the focus.

Would also be nice if she actually treated her family as such.
    Two book solution, anyone? WW has done okay, being published, fortnightly (2xmo.), before? Why not make it official, with Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman In Sensation Comics, ..EVERY month?!

The WW comic also needs some long-range planning...world-building. I've never seen editors avoid the creation of continuity, the way the people editing this comic have, ..mandating a narrative liquidation policy that has left the comic with no regular cast, no regular setting and a scattered string of irrelevant antagonists. There needs to be some long-range editing happening on this comic - the kind that happened on the X-Men in the 70s and 80s...

And it needs to happen, right now.

Anyone here remember the "Brother...no-ooo!" scene, with all of the DC heroes leaping toward a spectral hand, in the sky, ..the scene that launched Rebirth? At the beginning, we were told, alternately, that Ultra Man and an unnamed hero, with a connection to Wonder Woman - I thought that would be Hunter - would close the books on the reboot. Was that a reference to TWO, different, male superheroes? A new Ultraman? A transgender Donna Troy? Is this a thread that is about to be picked up...followed through? Left hanging in the ether, some more?

That's why I stopped reading...a mess.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-13-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That's what I'm hoping for, the closest we've gotten to that vibe was the Jimenez run but he had to deal with the time traveling Hippolyta nonsense.

Something like that but with Diana herself would be ideal, but I'm not sure I trust DC's current talent to excite me with the execution.
    Yeah, I guess a writer who really knew their WW history like Jimenez could do something with the concept and blank slate but not sure how many of those there are currently at DC.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-13-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Yeah, I guess a writer who really knew their WW history like Jimenez could do something with the concept and blank slate but not sure how many of those there are currently at DC.
    It’s definitely knowing her history, but also caring about her history and wanting to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It’s definitely knowing her history, but also caring about her history and wanting to use it.
    Yeah, that's a factor. Though I guess even writers like Morrison with Earth One show that's a tricky rope to walk, though he was just doing modern GA.

It’s unclear to me who should be writing her and gets her, but what I’d most like in 2021 is a two book solution and some long term planning, like what Mel said.

To me this means we have Wonder Woman and Sensation titles or a Wonder Woman and a Wonder Women title.

What it also means to me is a bunch of stuff I’ve posted about before; Diana gets an iconic city and is put there for the long haul; Donna and Cassie are back in the fold (semi-regularly depending on how they’re used in Titans and Young Justice titles); mythology plays a part, but so do sci-fi, fantasy, detective, and other genres of storytelling; the gods are used in ways that better interconnect them to all of Wonder lore; Diana’s deep bench of villains gets revamped, used, and relationships form between the villains; a good amount of Diana’s wide-ranging supporting characters get transported to her city and relationships form between them; Wonder concepts like Amazon technology and Transformation Island get reintroduced and explored; Diana’s relationships with friends like Batman and Superman are explored on her terms, as well as her friendships with Zatanna, Vixen, Black Canary, Star Sapphire, Mera, etc.; Diana’s influence over the Titans and Young Justice is explored via her relationships with Donna, Cassie, and Dick; Steve Trevor and Etta Candy are front and center as a handful of Diana’s closest allies and friends; ARGUS is firmly entrenched as a concept in the Wonder domain; and I could go on...

I’ve been working on putting all of this in my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee, but I hope editorial and some creators find there own path to making Diana and her world thrilling and wondrous in their own way, but it’s what we deserve.

I think WW/Diana needs a totable, easily adaptable situation that she can take on the road, with her, wherever she is working.

1. sunny, optimistic, skinny Mala (a) contrasts with Etta, and (b) acts as Diana's Alfred, (c) while being easier for writers to move around, with Diana, than Hippolyta, ..who works best on her Island
    2. Etta, Steve and Ferdinand bring unique skills to Diana's adventures in faraway places
    3. establishing her in Marston or Holliday City, in an iconic residence, just gives fans something familiar to emotionally connect to, because most of us like to do that
    4. making Diana's trips to Paradise Island, less than regular, keeps the island, Queen and the Amazons, a special treat for fans

A narratively totable situation, conducive to writers moving her all over the world AND to live-action adaptations, could be useful to WW creators going forward. No matter where Diana goes or what a writer is doing with her, we fans can count on seeing her flanked by tough-girl Etta and sunny Mala, some flirtation with Steve and enjoying Ferdinand's counsel and caring nature. I think that could be very progressive for the comic, in establishing something familiar and worth looking forward to.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-24-2020 at 08:01 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!