Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Dead Earth:WW has never been more hardcore!

Or so says the description for this video review.

It does sound like a very interesting read but am not too keen on the art.

What do you all think of the story?

Was this the most "hardcore" Diana has ever been?

If not, what other story was there where she was more hardcore?

Is this story a favorite? Was it on par with say, A League of One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MsY8BJ49gI

Like the channel but can’t say this was one WW’s stories I was hoping they’d cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Or so says the description for this video review.

It does sound like a very interesting read but am not too keen on the art.

What do you all think of the story?

Was this the most "hardcore" Diana has ever been?

If not, what other story was there where she was more hardcore?

Is this story a favorite? Was it on par with say, A League of One?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MsY8BJ49gI
    First two issues were pretty good but the Superman spine weapon thing just kind of killed the book for me even if the ending was decent.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Like the channel but can’t say this was one WW’s stories I was hoping they’d cover.

First two issues were pretty good but the Superman spine weapon thing just kind of killed the book for me even if the ending was decent.
    Glad you're familiar with the channel. It's a lot of fun.

Can see how that idea is off putting but that why she's hardcore! lol

We've had a long thread about Wonder Woman Dead Earth.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    Glad you're familiar with the channel. It's a lot of fun.

Can see how that idea is off putting but that why she's hardcore! lol
    Yeah, idk just stuff like that is why I've generally been put off Black Label and the Dark Multiverse stuff recently (aside from being just being Batman/Joker/Harley nonsense).

I guess to answer one of the questions. I definitely prefer A League of One.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    We've had a long thread about Wonder Woman Dead Earth.
    Cool. Was just afraid I wouldn't be able to find one right off,you know? Did you enjoy the video?

Incredible Member

Yeah, idk just stuff like that is why I've generally been put off Black Label and the Dark Multiverse stuff recently (aside from being just being Batman/Joker/Harley nonsense).

I guess to answer one of the questions. I definitely prefer A League of One.
    Fair enough. Thanks for replying.

Incredible Member

I think Dead Earth is awesome, both art & story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I think Dead Earth is awesome, both art & story.
    Awesome. Hope you watched and enjoyed the video too.

Fantastic Member

Wonder Woman Dead Earth is sick!! I don't mean in a good way!! Always wanting to make WW a murder!! Always wanting to make WW dark! Just plain awful!!

There are things to like in Wonder Woman Dead Earth. The art is very well suited to the mood, the action is generally well done, and it is without a doubt a quality grimdark story.

But it's not a Wonder Woman story in any meaningful way, and a lot of the elements feel like they are only there to be badass or hardcore than actually being meaningful. Or when they are meaningful, they undermine the very foundation of Wonder Woman as a character.

The world, and humanity, needs to be saved from the Amazons. It should always be the other way around: Wonder Woman is the representative that the Amazons sent out to save the world. The bracelets are there to control Diana, not as a symbol and memory of a prior failure. The source of her powers is again from the male gods, this time stolen by Hippolyta. Superman's corpse is mutilated for no reason. Batman works out how to both heal Diana, control her powers, and restore them to her, practically introducing another instance of the Batgod character.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Fantastic Member

There are things to like in Wonder Woman Dead Earth. The art is very well suited to the mood, the action is generally well done, and it is without a doubt a quality grimdark story.

But it's not a Wonder Woman story in any meaningful way, and a lot of the elements feel like they are only there to be badass or hardcore than actually being meaningful. Or when they are meaningful, they undermine the very foundation of Wonder Woman as a character.

The world, and humanity, needs to be saved from the Amazons. It should always be the other way around: Wonder Woman is the representative that the Amazons sent out to save the world. The bracelets are there to control Diana, not as a symbol and memory of a prior failure. The source of her powers is again from the male gods, this time stolen by Hippolyta. Superman's corpse is mutilated for no reason. Batman works out how to both heal Diana, control her powers, and restore them to her, practically introducing another instance of the Batgod character.
    Well said!!!

Not saying I really disagree with anything here but isn't the bracelets being a source of controlling power that goes back to Marston. Granted it is debatable if that's an element that should really be brought back.

But yeah, I would have preferred Bats and Supes weren't in this story. Not like she shows up in there Elseworld stuff that often, or when she does if it's beneficial to her.

Not saying I really disagree with anything here but isn't the bracelets being a source of controlling power that goes back to Marston. Granted it is debatable if that's an element that should really be brought back.
    I don't remember that being any part of Marston's Golden Age run, at least not as far as I have read. The only similar thing mentioned is that if her bracelets are chained or tied together by a man, any Amazon loses her strength.

Looking at the DC fandom wiki, the source for the bracelets being a restraint on Amazon power seems to come from Azzarello. And yes, it's one of the many elements of Azzarello's run that should be buried with extreme prejudice.

I don't remember that being any part of Marston's Golden Age run, at least not as far as I have read. The only similar thing mentioned is that if her bracelets are chained or tied together by a man, any Amazon loses her strength.

Looking at the DC fandom wiki, the source for the bracelets being a restraint on Amazon power seems to come from Azzarello. And yes, it's one of the many elements of Azzarello's run that should be buried with extreme prejudice.
    Hmm, could have sworn that was a thing in GA Wonder Woman given it's mentioned on the Wikipedia page about Diana's bracelets. Though maybe you're right if that came later given it's unsourced and I haven't read that far into Marston yet.