Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The classic design doesn’t seem right to me without the trunks.
    The costume has to be totally different for no trunks to be an option imo.
    I think pretty much every trunksless design of the past decade, New 52, Earth-2, Smallville, Rebirth, Reborn, proves that idea false. All those designs worked without the trunks and they were not drastically different takes. They were all still rooted in the classic template then slightly altered from there. They just got the job done by distributing color a little differently.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Yep, the color contrast and in general just feels weird to me. Kind like it's missing something. I think there is a good story where when New 52 is unveiled and Superman is shown without his trunks. Every artist drew him in a pose where his crotch are shadowed in comic con because they can't bring themself to draw that Superman. I knew it's Doug Mahnke from Word Balloon, but I think Chris Samnee also did it.
    ^^^I’d never heard that. Can’t say I blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think pretty much every trunksless design of the past decade, New 52, Earth-2, Smallville, Rebirth, Reborn, proves that idea false. All those designs worked without the trunks and they were not drastically different takes. They were all still rooted in the classic template then slightly altered from there. They just got the job done by distributing color a little differently.
    ^^^no, I’m positive the classic design doesn’t seem right to me without the trunks.

^^^no, I’m positive the classic design doesn’t seem right to me without the trunks.
    Nail on the head - it doesn't seem right to you. That doesn't mean it's not right, doesn't make it wrong, just that you're personally so used to it being there that it looks weird to you. But for many others, it looks better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Nail on the head - it doesn't seem right to you. That doesn't mean it's not right, doesn't make it wrong, just that you're personally so used to it being there that it looks weird to you. But for many others, it looks better.
    You sum it right, Vakanai. Everyone has preferences and the trunks thing is only preferences. Kind like the story that I told about several artists who refuses to draw Superman without his trunk, there are artists who love to draw him without the trunk. But, to be fair only old farts who think that the red trunk is really important to Superman (I am one of them).

Point taken, looking again you made clear the subjective nature of the post the first time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

If you're just taking away trunks, then you're not really inventing a new design. And all the trunkless blue long johns outfits remind me of other heroes who already had the blue long johns first--like Captain Marvel, Jr., and Ultraman of Earth-Three. You need to actually create a new design that's its own thing. The T-shirt and jeans, with construction boots seems to me a great look and something that they should try out in the movies or on T.V. However, I don't like it when they include the cape with the T-shirt and jeans--it somehow undermines the effectiveness of that look.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

For me i have no problems with reborn suit or smallville suit.it just has no meaning in a narrative sense that's it. It's just there clark just gets it without much foreshadowing or journey. The new52 suit was a knights armor. Although, i detest that iconography in superman. I can atleast say it had a meaning. Superman was knight in shining armor, with a chivalrous code that has him protecting the weak.

Retired

I also have a deep admiration for this formal attire, provided by the House of Schaffenberger. If it was up to me, Superman would wear this suit whenever he's invited to fancy public appearances--like receptions, ribbon cuttings, red carpets.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I also have a deep admiration for this formal attire, provided by the House of Schaffenberger. If it was up to me, Superman would wear this suit whenever he's invited to fancy public appearances--like receptions, ribbon cuttings, red carpets.

Zatara and mandrake would complain superman is stealing their style

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I always liked the Return to Krypton suit. It just needs the "S" and it'd be perfect to me. Would make sense for Superman having Kryptonian attire.
    r2k.jpg return to krypton.jpg

BANNED

Aside from those costumes, I believe Michael Turner's Godfall costume is also trunkless. Electric Blue Superman, World of Krypton, The Truth, and Black Costume Superman are also trunkless. If I need to choose from all of them then the World of Krypton is my favorite Superman's trunkless costume.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Zatara and mandrake would complain superman is stealing their style
    Mandrake maybe, but as I learned from THE COMIC BOOK BOOK in the 1970s, Zatara traditionally wore a morning coat. His attire is a morning suit, with a different style of tails--the morning coat--and he usually wears striped trousers. Superman has been outfitted with evening wear--a different style of tails, the evening coat--and black trousers, with a very different cut. Superman is dressed for the opera, Zatara is dressed for church. And for me the signature detail in the Schaffenberger ensemble is the red sash with gold crest--that's what makes it a Super suit.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I always liked the Return to Krypton suit. It just needs the "S" and it'd be perfect to me. Would make sense for Superman having Kryptonian attire.
    r2k.jpg return to krypton.jpg
    Never seen/actually like this. It’s the first trunkless take on the classic uniform i think works. It’s got an old fashioned look to it that brings to mind the 30s era, a little Flash Gordon maybe, w. a dash of Captain Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Mine(at this moment) are these.

What are yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    The one on the left.
    Same. The up-angles on the belt matches nicely with the angle on the boots, which pleases my OCD (and also gives it a bit more of a sleek sense of motion than a horizontal belt). A little more V in the neck would just complete the theme.

I also prefer the lighter color blue to the darker blue of the middle. Too dark. Not hopeful and 'blue sky' enough for my taste. Superman shouldn't need to look dark and serious. (And yes, this conflicts with my like for the black costume! 'Cause I am inconsistent and not to be trusted.) He does not GAF if anyone is impressed / intimidated by his style. He's so far above that, it's not even funny.

Same with Captain Marvel. Bright primary red, not dark broody red. In your face. No apologies.

The MOS look is perfect to me. Everything just flowed and the color wasn’t so popsicle bright. I like the darker colors. A close 2nd is the outfit Jon wears in Legion. I think that’s the best drawn version of a Superman costume.