Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Presumably, it'll have everything that's already been digitised, and each month they'll add more, just like what Marvel Unlimited does.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Presumably, it'll have everything that's already been digitised, and each month they'll add more, just like what Marvel Unlimited does.
    Isn’t that what they’re doing now? The announcement says there will be 24,000 comics at launch next year, but there were already more than 23,000 by last May, according to one article. So we’re paying the same for the existing comics, a faster turn time on new issues and some unspecified exclusive content, while losing all the TV shows and movies, including the pricey original productions.

Unless they wow me with the new stuff, it seems like a net loss so far. And then you have to pay more if you want to see the shows that were formerly included.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 09-18-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Great news!
    I'm glad they're doing a re-branding to get the word out there.
    I'm also glad that WB/AT&T didn't just decide to pull the plug on it.

The new digital first comics will be a lot less costly than original tv shows.
    And it's wonderful that they're narrowing the gap on new recent comics from a year to six months.

Plus... a global release!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Isn’t that what they’re doing now? The announcement says there will be 24,000 comics at launch next year, but there are already more than 23,000, according to one article. So we’re paying the same for the existing comics, a faster turn time on new issues and some unspecified exclusive content, while losing all the TV shows and movies, including the pricey original productions.

Unless they wow me with the new stuff, it seems like a net loss so far. And then you have to pay more if you want to see the shows that were formerly included.
    Net loss? Doesn't Marvel Unlimited charge more for less content? And DC Universe is apparently getting original comic series for the service according to the press release, so you are essentially getting brand new comics on the app. Which is also something marvel unlimited doesn't offer.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Good that it's international, but since it's just comics that I can't save to my computer I'm staying with ReadDC since even if I can't save it, I can still read what I bought online without having to continuously subscribe

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Net loss? Doesn't Marvel Unlimited charge more for less content? And DC Universe is apparently getting original comic series for the service according to the press release, so you are essentially getting brand new comics on the app. Which is also something marvel unlimited doesn't offer.
    I don’t read Marvel, so my only basis of comparison is what I have now vs. what we’re getting in the future. If I add HBO Max, I’ll have the same catalog of back issues as now, fewer DC shows and a higher price. If I don’t add HBO Max, I’ll have the same back issues but no shows and movies, while still paying what I was for everything.

Maybe they really will deliver on the original content, but they’re awfully vague on the details. And even if there are several exclusive comics, it doesn’t seem like that should warrant the same price as when we were subsidizing exclusive TV productions.

To bundle it with HBO Max for $8 and then $5 *permanently and not just temporarily* would be a good deal.

HBO Max has tons of content, not just HBO stuff either.

However, if that deal is not a permanent discount then it's not at all worth it and there's no way I would subscribe to both services; more than likely, I'd keep HBO Max and cancel DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    To bundle it with HBO Max for $8 and then $5 *permanently and not just temporarily* would be a good deal.

HBO Max has tons of content, not just HBO stuff either.

However, if that deal is not a permanent discount then it's not at all worth it and there's no way I would subscribe to both services; more than likely, I'd keep HBO Max and cancel DC Universe.
    Yeah, if HBO Max were a $5 add-on indefinitely, I might rationalize it as an inevitable price increase for DC Universe. even though it almost doubles the price. But at $180 a year? On top of what we’re already paying? And without the classic DC shows and cartoons? Ouch.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 09-18-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: ,

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm only annoyed with the fact that they're taking it off Roku. I almost exclusively read DCU comics on the TV!
    Are they taking DC Universe off the Roku?
    I didn't see that mentioned.

I finally got my tablet repaired, so I can read them on there now.
    But reading the comics on the TV is really cool.

BANNED

Global release is everything that I need to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Are they taking DC Universe off the Roku?
    I didn't see that mentioned.

I finally got my tablet repaired, so I can read them on there now.
    But reading the comics on the TV is really cool.
    Found my answer:
    "In December of 2020 DC UNIVERSE will no longer be available on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Amazon TV and tablet, and Xbox apps."

So glad I got my tablet fixed.

I just need to know when it's available in Europe.

Interesting turn of events.
    Marvel appears to be feeling threatened by DC Universe.

I just got an e-mail announcing they’re going from their six month wait for new comics to three months.

The 6 months thing was so retailers wouldn't complain. But as recent actions have shown, it seems DC and Marvel are now beyond caring about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The 6 months thing was so retailers wouldn't complain. But as recent actions have shown, it seems DC and Marvel are now beyond caring about such things.
    I agree.
    I see them reaching a one month wait in an attempt to outdo the other.
    Don’t think it would go beyond that, myself.