Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well, this sucks if they're moving the next seasons of Young Justice and Titans to HBOMax. Not everyone has access to that service. I could deal with it if they were airing it on both HBOMax and DC Universe, kind of like they did with CW and Stargirl. But if the service moves to comics-only, that sucks.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    If you’re in a free trial with DC Universe right now you aren’t eligible for the HBO Max deal.

So if someone, like me, is excited about this new rollout and goes to sign up for it...they aren’t even eligible for the new deal that was just announced today as being a new deal. Which is pretty lame.
    It is not a new deal. The deal started in June or July and when it was announced it said not for trials.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Well, this sucks if they're moving the next seasons of Young Justice and Titans to HBOMax. Not everyone has access to that service. I could deal with it if they were airing it on both HBOMax and DC Universe, kind of like they did with CW and Stargirl. But if the service moves to comics-only, that sucks.
    We have known for a while that DC Universe was losing streaming of movies and shows. The question has always been will they preserve some form of it particularly with regards to the comics.

Question: how would someone have access to DC Universe but not HBO Max?

I've had the service since it launched and I use it for comics far more than I do for streaming movies or shows, and with the expansion of the comics library and reduction of the lag between publication and arrival on the service, I will stay on board.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It is not a new deal. The deal started in June or July and when it was announced it said not for trials.
    This current deal might be an extension of the previous deal but it’s still being announced as a new deal today. If they don’t intend it to apply to new customers then it shouldn’t have been announced.

Extraordinary Member

This current deal might be an extension of the previous deal but it’s still being announced as a new deal today. If they don’t intend it to apply to new customers then it shouldn’t have been announced.
    https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...ate-comic-book
    For DC UNIVERSE subscribers who want ongoing access to premium DC originals, the special DC UNIVERSE monthly member offer to HBO MAX has been extended. In celebration of Batman Day and the announcement of DC UNIVERSE INFINITE, a special offer for eligible monthly subscribers to upgrade their service to include HBO Max for an additional $4.99 per month for a limited time is now available through October 30, 2020.
    I do not know where you are seeing otherwise, but this is the same old deal.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/0...ate-comic-book

I do not know where you are seeing otherwise, but this is the same old deal.

I guess I just feel it’s misleading is all. I’m not the only one, as every article I’ve seen about this upcoming transition lists this as a new feature that will be available to new subscribers.

Extraordinary Member

I guess I just feel it’s misleading is all. I’m not the only one, as every article I’ve seen about this upcoming transition lists this as a new feature that will be available to new subscribers.
    Not a shot at you, trust me, but that is the state of 'journalism' and why it is usually worth getting right to the source and starting from there. And I am not saying any particular article got it wrong, intentionally or otherwise, but even the nature of 'paraphrasing' most writers rely on to basically copy the article or statement they are reporting on means that the message is going to get lost somewhere along the way.

Astonishing Member

I like that you can get HBO Max for only $5 extra...but is that not an available option yet? I don’t see where I can get the $5 deal.
    oh, boy. Just $5 extra to regain what I had and gain more (that I didn't want).

whatta deal.

Question: how would someone have access to DC Universe but not HBO Max?
    DC Universe is available on Roku. HBOMax is not.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Not a shot at you, trust me, but that is the state of 'journalism' and why it is usually worth getting right to the source and starting from there. And I am not saying any particular article got it wrong, intentionally or otherwise, but even the nature of 'paraphrasing' most writers rely on to basically copy the article or statement they are reporting on means that the message is going to get lost somewhere along the way.

Having that HBO Max deal is a big draw but if it’s not available to new customers I don’t think I’ll continue on with the app.

Ah well! Thanks for the answer.

Extraordinary Member

Having that HBO Max deal is a big draw but if it’s not available to new customers I don’t think I’ll continue on with the app.

Ah well! Thanks for the answer.
    Some info here

Once your trial is over and you are paying for the app you should be able to claim the deal. All it does is allow you to subscribe to HBO Max for $4.99 a month for the rest of 2020 and you will be paying full price whenever January billing starts.

I'm only annoyed with the fact that they're taking it off Roku. I almost exclusively read DCU comics on the TV!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I was hoping they would dump a bunch of new back issues on it to make up for the withdrawal of other media, but it doesn’t look like that’s happening. I’ll be curious to see how much exclusive content it gets, but right now it feels very value subtracted. DC Universe Not-So-Infinite.

I also wonder what will happen to some of the more obscure shows. Is HBO Max offering everything, including the George Reeves Superman show and the ‘40s-‘90s cartoons?

Edit: The Hollywood Reporter says it’s unclear what will happen to the older shows:

“DC Universe had also been home to a growing roster of library titles. The service, for example, launched two years ago with offerings including the original Wonder Woman, the Batman animated series, Superfriends, Birds of Prey, Teen Titans (2003), Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Constantine, Batman Beyond, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Batman: The Animated Series and the Justice League animated series, among others. It's unclear which of those will make the move and when as dealmaking to move platforms remains part of the ongoing process.”

That’s a bummer. I hope they don’t vanish into the void.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 09-18-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Mighty Member

I'm in it for the comics. So I'm glad for this. My only thing is I hope they include their backlog of missing series and issues, so that every comic from past years will be available. Including if you're a Robin Dick Grayson fan Star Spangled Comics as well as Jay Garrick More Fun Comics