Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why Can't The Flash Be A Humorous Funny Book?

BANNED

BANNED

Seems like the DCAU did Star-Lord before the MCU did.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

A Flash comic can have humor in it, but one of the most crippling effects of the DCAU representation of Wally West was convincing an entire generation of viewers that the Flash is synonymous with comic relief.

Both Barry and Wally have a sense of humor, but neither is an immature wise-cracker. I despise when writers throw decades of nuanced characterization out the window and default to this simplistic and childish characterization.

DCAU Wally West wasn't Wally West, he was a speedy Philip J Fry. But i like Fry, so I thought it worked pretty well for what it was.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 09-18-2020 at 09:24 AM.

If you want a humourous speedster book... how about bringing back Impulse?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If you want a humourous speedster book... how about bringing back Impulse?
    Yep. That's what he's for.

The Flash can be fun, funny, and colorful but I don't see why the entire book needs to focus on that element primarily when there is much more depth to the character in my opinion.

DCAU Wally was fine for what he was but he was designed to work within an ensemble rather than carry a solo series of stories.

BANNED

No, Flash was established as a cocky, humorous character in Superman: TAS to distinguish his personality from Superman's.

Reeeally dislike writers handling Flash as a bland, cardboard guy without a real sense of humor or personal flaws. Even Superman has anger issues and a sense of alienation from the world.

BANNED

Justice League amped up the celebrity-superhero thing with Flash by having him do (literal) commercial work to support charity efforts.

Barry is a more serious Flash, but him as straight man can still lend itself to humor.

Wally is more likely to immerse himself in any humorous situation.

Both characters though, are adventurers. They’re bright and hopeful characters so they should have crazy adventures, not just doom and gloom type stuff.

BANNED

To be honest Flash is supposed to be a humorous comic, not in the way that JL cartoon did, but more into the fun things that the Silver Age did. Now, I don't say that the current comic book is not adventurous. They actually are. But the fun thing is a bit more downplayed for a more serious storyline and fixing the continuity, so the adventurous part is a bit taking a backside for the more nuance storyline. I think the last time we have a more fun storyline is during the Wally run where we see him has a race with his imaginary friend and race against the death of all things. Nowadays Flash only race with speedforce bums or Thawne of all people. So, it's not as fun as the old. Still good though, a crazy over the top adventurous hero's journey. But, I believe it would be better if Barry's straight man personality is play more.

Astonishing Member

DC is too uptight to put any members of the JL's Core 7 in a comedic comic. The Flash and Batman would both benefit from a lighter comic. Flash comics rely too much on the Speedforce(which isn't clearly defined) and Reverse Flash memes to justify bad writing decisions. As for Batman, he and his entire franchise have become too grimdark for their own good.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    No, Flash was established as a cocky, humorous character in Superman: TAS to distinguish his personality from Superman's.

Reeeally dislike writers handling Flash as a bland, cardboard guy without a real sense of humor or personal flaws. Even Superman has anger issues and a sense of alienation from the world.
    I dislike that too, but it's not either/or. There's leaning into Wally's cocky/humorous side, and there's making him a juvenile comedic character. Not at all a fan of the latter, and I'd say most Flash fans probably aren't either.

And what are you saying "No" to?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    DC is too uptight to put any members of the JL's Core 7 in a comedic comic. The Flash and Batman would both benefit from a lighter comic. Flash comics rely too much on the Speedforce(which isn't clearly defined) and Reverse Flash memes to justify bad writing decisions. As for Batman, he and his entire franchise have become too grimdark for their own good.
    Agree with Flash but disagree with Batman. I’d argue Batman has found his best tone. That’s why he towers over all the other DC characters many of which have struggled to find a consistent tone that works for them. Batman at his core is a pulp detective character. He’s had lighter turns as a character (mostly the silver age ), but I’d argue he’s had his greatest success as a dark character.