View Poll Results: Are you disappointed 5G will no longer happen?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It sounded like a great idea!

30 28.04%
  • No! Replacing established characters isn't the answer!

77 71.96%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I just wanted to see what kinda stories they were going to give Luke. On the other hand I'm glad we get to avoid the complaining and rants.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I was skeptical about Jon as Superman written by Bendis but Luke as Batman written by John Ridley sounded amazing. Who were the others again? No one was confirmed but there was some arbitrary rumors.

I would've preffered the replacements as a seperate imprint- a replacement for Earth One perhaps. I'm hoping Far sector would stay its own thing rather than get sucked into the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I'm torn.

On one hand, I was looking forward to the chaos among the many, many fandoms, since it it wouldn't make much of a difference to me (most of my favs already being in the crapper).

On the other hand, it appears (and let's hope I'm right here) that current management is really working towards fixing stuff.

So, I prefer for it not to happen, because I want a healthy, good DCU with happy fans.
    But it would have been fun if it did happen.
    I would say fool me once, but I've been burned enough now that I really have zero faith that things will get better.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Nothing that came out of it was gleamed seems particularly interesting to me enough to justify a line-wide replacement en masse.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I’ll say I’m disappointed. I like alternate timelines and the new teams and the like. The classic characters aren’t gonna go anywhere in the long term, seeing Jon as an adult an the like seemed cool but oh well. I get the negative fan reaction certainly wasn’t encouraging.
    I don't think I ever understood why DiDio and TPTB at DC kept killing off or restarting the universe rather than using the Elseworlds label or the simple Hypertime concept.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    So do I
    I never really followed any hype or build up about it.
    If it was an alternate future time line, than what was all the drama?
    If anything DC should explore more things like it.

Also if that's the case the poll option completley mis-characterizes it, making this poll and thread pretty much meaningless drama.

Since this - "Replacing established characters isn't the answer!"- was never the case.
    WHO was doing the replacing.

3 (well 4) other guys have been Batman. Suddenly Luke rumored to do it-had folks stomping and drawing lines in the sand?
    If the other 3 gave back the title to Bruce why expect Luke to stay there?

It was uncalled for fit throwing.

How many times have these folks been replaced and came back???? Seriously how many times?

No! Replacing established characters isn't the answer!
    Wally West and his 20 years as Flash
    Tim Drake and his 180 series
    Matrix Supergirl and her 80 issue run
    Hal Jordan and his run
    Kyle and his run
    Cassandra Cain and her run
    Conner Kent and his run
    Steel (bad example) and his run
    Jaime Reyes and his run
    Batman Beyond says hi.

Say OTHER WISE.

Cassandra Cain PROVED Batgirl could sell. Not Babs nor Stephanie.
    Tim not Dick nor Jason nor Cassie PROVED Robin could sell.
    Isn't Jaime's run the longest of the Blue Beetles?

Aside from Jaime-where was the foot stomping about these guys?

DC has tried new and even established folks to get traction and got NOTHING but fan push back. Along with crying about why are they looking at the OGN or trade or digital market? What about us in the direct market?

Direct Market threw fits over Raven and others saying they couldn't sell. Raven, Kaldur, Beast Boy & Cassandra Cain are having no trouble finding an audience outside of the direct market.

Batman can't be everything. He can't be Lumberjanes, Black Panther, Ms Marvel, Bitter Root, Vampirella, Umbrella Academy, Wimpy Kid and all the rest of the books that TORCH DC.

What are they suppose to do??? They housecleaned. Now we have to see if they can improve. Although we got folks who want Daniel Cherry fired already.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Voted yes. Don't give a damn about the replacements but the new timeline sounded good
    Same. Didn't care for the replacements but I was excited for a cohesive merged timeline. I think that was the most interesting thing DC was trying to do in years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I just wanted to see what kinda stories they were going to give Luke. On the other hand I'm glad we get to avoid the complaining and rants.
    Out of all the ideas i think this is the one they will still try and make work somehow.

two batmen is the dream .. two lots of books two lots of merch. Marvel already showed you could do it with Spiderman and DC will def want in on that action.

I’m sort of on the fence with this one; I was sort of looking forward to seeing a younger Superman, and a black Batman, unencumbered by the legacies of their predecessors. The other dc heroes unfortunately, don’t interest me as much so I wouldn’t be interested in their 5g reboots.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Definitely no. I wouldnt say replacing characters is never the answer, but its definitely an overrated writing trope at DC Comics. Im pretty sick of legacy so doing it across the board?

Bullet dodged.

I will say I had slight interest in the idea for the history too, like a few others here have mentioned. I say slight though because I didn't have confidence that they'd be able to make it work. None of the other attempts at fixing the timeline within that regime had worked at all, and they even managed to make an attempted full scale reboot confusing. But the idea in of itself there wasn't half bad. Maybe this new power structure can make the basics work, as it still seems like they're going with WWII Wonder Woman and the JSA. The replacement heroes thing was just complete garbage though, not sorry.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-18-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

In a cosmic sort of ways, yes. I think that, because, to me, a Superhero genre in general is genre that can make a character with several multitude. It means that everyone can be a particular Superhero, as long as the core idea wasn't changed. So, I am board on the whole replacing hero things as long as the core idea of the characters are still there. Beside, sometime with replacing the hero, we can see a new point of view into the characters that we can't normally see. Now, on the hand, I don't particullary on board with Jon as Superman. But, Ridley on Batman writing Luke Fox is one hundred percent win to me. So I am kind in fence here about the whole 5G things because aside from Batman, I don't care 5G at all.

Now, for the history with WW as the center of Superheroes in DC... I don't really care, and the idea to me is not really bad. But, knowing it's DC and their track record is only 1 month before they screws things up in the Darkseid way of screw things up. I will look at it with how I look at every DC's relaunch or reboot. With uninterest eyes, knowing they will definetly and will always screw things up.

Imagine a DC Universe where the classic JLA members, including the Trinity, are shelved.
    And any attempt by a writer to bring them back is derailed.

The Bruce Wayne Batman is mentioned as 'making his triumphant return' only to be used as cannon fodder, as he gets graphically killed so fans will stop asking for his return.
    Etc.

For ten more years...

No... I think I'd pass.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

No, but for a different reason.

I wasn't completely opposed to the main League members taking a step back, for whatever reason, but the ones who would take up the mantles? The way it was done, was just wrong. Like the age up of Jon to take Clark's place as a Legion member, Superman, and even personality (proving Bendis could only ever write Clark, but not anyone else). Or the sudden promotion of Luke Fox; a character that's barely been mentioned since Rebirth began in 2016, let alone used.

Rather, if the "replacements" had been characters already well established without slapping on other stuff (sudden age up for example), I would have been more open to it. Like Batwoman, Conner Kent, Nubia or Artemis, Flash (Wally), etc.

Diana being the first hero, along with the JSA, kind of indifferent to.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Imagine a DC Universe where the classic JLA members, including the Trinity, are shelved.
    And any attempt by a writer to bring them back is derailed.

The Bruce Wayne Batman is mentioned as 'making his triumphant return' only to be used as cannon fodder, as he gets graphically killed so fans will stop asking for his return.
    Etc.

For ten more years...

No... I think I'd pass.
    You mean that EVERYONE would be a Wally fan? C’mon, that would have been really fun!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!