View Poll Results: Are you disappointed 5G will no longer happen?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It sounded like a great idea!

30 28.04%
  • No! Replacing established characters isn't the answer!

77 71.96%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Are you disappointed 5G will no longer happen?

Simple poll - as the title states. If you want to chime in with additional information please feel free to do so.

I selected no not for the changing of characters but for the fact I didnt trust Didio to helm it.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

In the form in which it was proposed, there was no interest at all. Especially with DiDio.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think DC and its fans dodged a major, major bullet here.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I’ll say I’m disappointed. I like alternate timelines and the new teams and the like. The classic characters aren’t gonna go anywhere in the long term, seeing Jon as an adult an the like seemed cool but oh well. I get the negative fan reaction certainly wasn’t encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I like alternate timelines and the new teams and the like. The classic characters aren’t gonna go anywhere
    So do I
    I never really followed any hype or build up about it.
    If it was an alternate future time line, than what was all the drama?
    If anything DC should explore more things like it.

Also if that's the case the poll option completley mis-characterizes it, making this poll and thread pretty much meaningless drama.

Since this - "Replacing established characters isn't the answer!"- was never the case.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-18-2020 at 12:10 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I'm torn.

On one hand, I was looking forward to the chaos among the many, many fandoms, since it it wouldn't make much of a difference to me (most of my favs already being in the crapper).

On the other hand, it appears (and let's hope I'm right here) that current management is really working towards fixing stuff.

So, I prefer for it not to happen, because I want a healthy, good DCU with happy fans. But it would have been fun if it did happen.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

As far as this poll I had to abstain. Not just because I am indifferent, but because the second choice is loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    So do I
    If it was an alternate future time line, than what was all the drama?
    If anything DC should explore more things like it.
    The drama was rumors and speculation and perceptions working overtime. One day we will probably know exactly what it was.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No because the road they took to get there is annoying, like aging up Jon Kent, making Damian quit, and while I don't know if Ric and making Jason go solo then set him up to be a villain count, but considering how long it went, I might as well count it since all of them screams lets make everyone unavailable except the ones we're gonna use.

I can appreciate the creative daring even if I think it would've been too dramatic and forced a change with the current state DC was at at the time and would've screwed up a lot of characters.

I liked the replacement rumors but didn't really care for the generational restructuring rumors.

Part of the problem with 5g is they never clarified what it actually was. Fans controlled that narrative more than DC ever did and that was the big mistake. So it was a rumor that took on a life of its own (which feels like a Grant Morrison pitch).

God no. I think it was a dodged bullet of epic proportions. You just don't do that sort of thing wholesale. Stories that replace a beloved classic character is risky enough on a singular basis. Doing it essentially line wide all at once would have been catastrophic.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Not the replacements, Bruce Wayne has been replaced way too many times already, and all the others sounded like bad ideas.
    The timeline on the other hand, seemed interesting, maybe not practical and sustainable, but i was interested in seeing if it could actually work. But again, might be for the best that it didn't happen. I guess we'll see what this future state thing results in.

Voted yes. Don't give a damn about the replacements but the new timeline sounded good
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    The classic characters aren’t gonna go anywhere in the long term
    This. 100% this.

The old characters were always going to return. There's no way Bruce wasn't going to go back to being Batman, or Clark go back to being Superman.

We could have had some good, fun, unique stories for a while before it all reverted back to the status quo like it always does. Now we don't have the chance to read those stories, because people freaked out like they always do.

So they'll continue to publish stories within that status quo, and those same people that would have complained will still complain anyway saying the stories "suck."
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans