View Poll Results: Are you disappointed 5G will no longer happen?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It sounded like a great idea!

30 28.04%
  • No! Replacing established characters isn't the answer!

77 71.96%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Heh. "FC and ASS" are pretty much how I view any version of Superman done by Golden or Silver Age purists or nostalgics. Including the much ballyhooed and overrated Morrison and Waid. It's why I'm glad the "Superman 2000" deal was shot down hard (and the parties involved more or less told to piss off), and why I don't want Waid to be given the chance to turn Superman into his Hand-Crafted Messiah.
    That's the only difference though. Silverage and goldenage had basically minimal to none of the messianic figure thing. Superman was more linked with moses. If we are going goldenage, then gladiators also. The messiah thing started with donner and was implemented after 2000's apparently.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Heh. "FC and ASS" are pretty much how I view any version of Superman done by Golden or Silver Age purists or nostalgics. Including the much ballyhooed and overrated Morrison and Waid. It's why I'm glad the "Superman 2000" deal was shot down hard (and the parties involved more or less told to piss off), and why I don't want Waid to be given the chance to turn Superman into his Hand-Crafted Messiah.
    Superman 2000 is one of the biggest miss opportunities we had for the character, and wallowing in the mediocrity of what we ended up getting that ended with the final punchline of "Grounded" is hardly worth it being told to "piss off."

The only potential downside is the way the marriage was going to be erased OMD style. That seems more Waid and Millar than Morrison. The other concepts were a vast improvement on the template Superman and his world was operating on at that time
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 09-21-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's the only difference though. Silverage and goldenage had basically minimal to none of the messianic figure thing. Superman was more linked with moses. If we are going goldenage, then gladiators also. The messiah thing started with donner and was implemented after 2000's apparently.
    I don't get how this sentence makes sense. Moses is the messiah to the Jewish people. How is being linked with Moses make him less messianic? You can't possibly reference or be inspired by a more messianic figure.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I don't get how this sentence makes sense. Moses is the messiah to the Jewish people. How is being linked with Moses make him less messianic? You can't possibly reference or be inspired by a more messianic figure.
    No, He is a prophet who took them to freedom and gave them a standard.He picked sides and made choices. It's the difference that makes a champion and a savior. He was never neutral.Moreover, He wasn't the standard himself that people should live by.He created a standard in "stone" people should live by with base morality that is needed for a stable society. He didn't try to save people from themselves . Superman was nowhere near a standard in the old comics that people should look upto. He wasn't doing what's right to be looked upto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That it was always going to go back to the main guys eventually is irrelevant. A bad idea is a bad idea. You don't make your collective fanbase wait out an initiative where the characters they want to read about are all off the table for an indefinite period.
    Age of Apocalypse and DC One Million says hi. It wouldn’t be the first or last hero story to replace the line with new titles and have new characters with some new backstories but because somehow this would’ve brought on the end of DC or something. I still don’t get the outrage or the insistence that this would’ve been a bad idea. There’s not nearly enough info to make any sort of judgements on quality.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That it was always going to go back to the main guys eventually is irrelevant. A bad idea is a bad idea. You don't make your collective fanbase wait out an initiative where the characters they want to read about are all off the table for an indefinite period.
    We saw it with Batman, Superman , WW, Cap America, Thor, Iron man and so many others in the past and one was harassed, issued death threats, called folks jobs to get them fired, destroyed books, attack people for not being certain demographics or sexual orientations.

And in many of those case the main guy was NOT gone-they were still around. Some of those MIA stints were BRIEF.

Some saw main guys get new roles (HAL JORDAN).

In fact some of the fans of those same characters had ZERO issue telling OTHERS they had to wait or give up. Right Stephanie Brown fans? Wally fans? Cassandra Cain? Cyborg?

And MAYBE no one would have to wait if original created characters (especially of color) were not viewed as the enemy the moment they are introduced.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    We saw it with Batman, Superman , WW, Cap America, Thor, Iron man and so many others in the past and one was harassed, issued death threats, called folks jobs to get them fired, destroyed books, attack people for not being certain demographics or sexual orientations.

And in many of those case the main guy was NOT gone-they were still around. Some of those MIA stints were BRIEF.

Some saw main guys get new roles (HAL JORDAN).

In fact some of the fans of those same characters had ZERO issue telling OTHERS they had to wait or give up. Right Stephanie Brown fans? Wally fans? Cassandra Cain? Cyborg?

And MAYBE no one would have to wait if original created characters (especially of color) were not viewed as the enemy the moment they are introduced.
    You're always quick to bring up Hal, but I'd like to point out that none of the fans of the others GLs would be remotely happy with an Emerald Twilight situation or getting the Spectre as a consolation. When they say Hal getting a new role so he's still around and they should be happy with that, what they really mean is "at least he's out of the way so my favorite can get focus." They don't actually care how Hal fans felt because no fan really sees beyond what they desire (and that's natural). If they say that they'd be ok with a 90s Hal situation, odds are they're lying.

And regardless of how one feels about the various situations (some of them were not necessary or needed to be planned better), it's not like Barry fans or Barbara-as-Batgirl fans weren't basically told to piss off in fandom discussions before their returns and told to move on/give up.