Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    We haven't, actually. The original agreement with Fox allows Marvel to use those characters specifically in Avengers stuff (as long as they're not Mutants or related to Magneto and basically have any link to anything X in the MArvel films).
    You know what? I'm ok with this. Give Disney/Marvel a chance to think outside the box and make Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch their own characters, instead of just kids of Magneto, for a change.

Also people can cling to false hope all they want but no way in hell that Fox will give up the X-Men rights as long as they're making a profit. And given that other Marvel properties are given a chance to shine, GOTG being a prime example, I don't want X-Men and Spider-Man back to Marvel. Let them stay where they are. The only exception I'd give is Fantastic Four but that depends on how bad the movie bombs.
    Last edited by Legato; 08-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.

BANNED

We haven't, actually. The original agreement with Fox allows Marvel to use those characters specifically in Avengers stuff (as long as they're not Mutants or related to Magneto and basically have any link to anything X in the MArvel films).
    Yeah, that was them exploiting a loophole and starting a pissing contest more rather than a negotiation. I'm really not a fan of the actor they picked for Quicksilver, so Fox, for a change, is winning this one so far IMO.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by boredmonkey View Post
    this must have been discussed many times, but can anyone tell me why doesnt marvel just buy back the rights with the obscene amount of money MCU movies are making?
    I m sure Disney must be interested too..or is the contracts they signed ensures that as long as they make movies Sony and fox can do their own thing?
    it's silly that they have to make so many different stories just to avoid legal trouble...
    or can't the studios just join to make spiderman and xmen and ff movies??
    It depends on the status of the properties and how much money they make for the studios.

Case by case, X-Men has no chance of reverting right now. The movies are profitable for Fox, Apocalypse is in production, no reason for it to go anywhere. Plus, to be frank, Marvel does not need X-Men right now.

On the other side of the spectrum is Fantastic Four. The movie is in production at Fox, but the word of mouth so far is astoundingly negative. Given the previous two attempts at FF have under performed, if this latest attempt tanks (and I mean $100 million or less opening weekend), then I'd say there is a decent chance of Marvel getting the rights back. Fox will not keep trying at a franchise they cannot make money off of unless they just determined to drive the franchise into a ditch just to keep Marvel from getting it. Financially, that's just stupid.

Somewhere in the middle is Spider-Man. Sony has plans for Spider-Man clearly, but ASM 2 underperformed, only getting around 200 million domestically. Right now, Sony is trying to find something, anything, to keep the franchise viable and grossing money for them,hence the efforts to get either Sinister Six or a Black Cat movie in production while they fine tune ASM 3 and hope for more good luck. Will that happen? I'm honestly not sure. But Sony has a franchise that is profitable enough where they can stall for time. They certainly do not want Spidey swinging back to Marvel and giving them another tent pole any time real soon.

In the end, X-Men is a hard no, Spider-Man just depends on future projects and their grosses and Fantastic Four is a definite distinct possibility of reverting IF the next movie dies (which it might). It's really a wait and see game with two of the three.

BANNED

FF is the most likely since it's the most expendable when compared to the X-Films, which is still profitable. And, as others state, Marvel isn't in desperate need of it. The only ones who need X-Men desperately is the fans but the MCU is rich with characters that they really don't need to depend on the X-Men.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

To be honest, I don't think Marvel needs X-Men or Spidey with the position they're in, after seeing how they can make characters with zero mainstream recognition prior to the movie like the GOTG household names. And neither X-Men or Spidey are in the state where they're not making enough money for their owners to want to let go.

There's a whole treasure chest that Marvel's sitting on and have only dipped their fingers into, and the return of Spidey/X-rights would only hinder that exploration. And besides, is there really anything that would be gained from the inclusion of X-Men and Spider-Man into the MCU, aside from seeing everyone as a part of the same universe?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    To be honest, I don't think Marvel needs X-Men or Spidey with the position they're in, after seeing how they can make characters with zero mainstream recognition prior to the movie like the GOTG household names. And neither X-Men or Spidey are in the state where they're not making enough money for their owners to want to let go.

There's a whole treasure chest that Marvel's sitting on and have only dipped their fingers into, and the return of Spidey/X-rights would only hinder that exploration. And besides, is there really anything that would be gained from the inclusion of X-Men and Spider-Man into the MCU, aside from seeing everyone as a part of the same universe?
    Exactly. We'd never see other unknown Marvel characters get a chance to make it on the big or even small screen. And that is the fact that some people aren't seeing the bigger picture to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    It really wouldn't, they could add a movie or two per phase and since you'd be losing a Fox or Sony's entries you wouldn't be risking over saturating the market more than it already is.

Anyway Disney has a better shot at acquiring the DC franchises than it does the X or Spider franchises in the near future.
    Exactly, people keep ignoring the fact that Marvel will extend to 3 Marvel films a year starting in 2017 and if success continues then why stop there? Plus there's only been an average of 3 Marvel films per year with Sony and Fox having rights anyway so why would that change if Marvel got them back?

FF has the biggest chance of reverting back and if Spidey continues to dwindle and Fox-pocalypse fails to meet expectations then who knows. Sony and Fox clearly doesn't have as much faith or care in CBM's as Marvel does otherwise they'd both be a bigger force to reckon with when it comes to CMB's.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Fox & Sony would have to seriously drop their balls and produce really horrible films to the point they lose a ton of money and are unwilling to continue making movies.

Honestly, I see Wanda erasing mutants from the minds of moviegoers as more likely.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

Why the hell would marvel sell sony and fox perpetual rights to a group of characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    We'd never see other unknown Marvel characters get a chance to make it on the big or even small screen. And that is the fact that some people aren't seeing the bigger picture to.
    Begging your pardon but people keep mentioning this yet have absolutely nothing to base it on. Here it is Ironman has made the most out of any solo superhero ever yet Marvel hasn't gone out of their way to convin$e RDJ to do any sequels yet. It's still been business as usual so if anything we should be taking a closer look at what Sony and Fox are doing with their CU's which have barely released a CBM every two years until Marvel lit that fire in Hollywood.

Sony was clearly shaken by that $50M decline in their recent Spider-man sequel causing them to push back ASM3 4 whole years. And judging by their lackluster villains lately, that Sinister Six spinoff won't do much better.

Fox to me and many others are just Trolling with the rights to FF, here it is 2 weeks after wrapping up filming and we have yet to even get an official title for this reboot. Now I'm no marketing genius and will never claim to be but I feel like most of us here have some idea that things just do not add up with the way they are producing this reboot. The few fan's who are betting on Fox have little to work with. And unlike DOFP, the production co. behind this reboot don't even use the same bathrooms.

So hoping for Trank to knock one out the park the way Singer did despite legal issues really isn't fair to Singer IMO. Keep in mind that I'm no Fox-men fan but there's clearly a greater difference in quality between these 2 franchises regardless of Fox being the distributor of both.

So between Sony licking their wounds with ASM2 and Fox doing who knows what with this upcoming FF (in name only, gritty, found footage) reboot I'd be happy with both reverting back to Marvel sooner rather than later.

And I doubt that it would stop the flow of other films Marvel films releasing.
    Last edited by YoungThanos; 08-16-2014 at 12:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Yeah, that was them exploiting a loophole and starting a pissing contest more rather than a negotiation. I'm really not a fan of the actor they picked for Quicksilver, so Fox, for a change, is winning this one so far IMO.
    Well, less a loophole and more a specific allowance to use those two characters that was written into the original agreement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by YoungThanos View Post
    Begging your pardon but people keep mentioning this yet have absolutely nothing to base it on. Here it is Ironman has made the most out of any solo superhero ever yet Marvel hasn't gone out of their way to convin$e RDJ to do any sequels yet.
    Be realistic. Do you honestly believe Marvel would have even made that first Iron Man film if they could have made an X-Men or Spider-Man one instead?

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Why the hell would marvel sell sony and fox perpetual rights to a group of characters?
    They were in (I think) Chapter 11 bankruptcy, so needed funds to continue operating as a business. Selling off Spider-Man to Sony, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Daredevil to Fox, Spider-Man and Ghost Rider to Sony and Blade and I think even Iron Man to New Line Cinemas was their only way to get money back to still continue operating.

Iron Man reverted back to Marvel. The other movies found success...thus the state we are in.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Be realistic. Do you honestly believe Marvel would have even made that first Iron Man film if they could have made an X-Men or Spider-Man one instead?
    Simple answer? Nope.

Marvel would be milking off of the X-Men and Spider-Man the first chance they get.

I sure as hell know that we wouldn't be seeing a TV show featuring the Agents of SHIELD.

So Marvel's loss is their blessing concerning this. Anyone who believes otherwise is probably just blind on their hatred on Fox to ignore the benefit Marvel has in not having the X-Men rights.
    Last edited by Legato; 08-16-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

For Sony? Bankruptcy at the rate they're going, if Disney's feeling patient.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Fending off bankruptcy/general stupidity of the 90's.