Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Characters who do you think would be more sucessfull with different writing etc.

Hello,
    I would like to ask which characters do you think would be more sucessfull with different writing.

I say that about:

1. Cassandra Sandsmark:
    I) The Pre-Flashpoint Situation was perfect:
    Diana as Amazon and Cassandra as daughter of Zeus.
    This was perfect, because it made them different-so you could have written Cassandra as kind of female Thor.
    The problem was that Cassandra was written like an Amazon, which doesnt work, because Cassandra spent only short time with training and not a lifelong training.
    Now with Cassandra as granddaughter of Zeus and Diana as daughter its even a bigger problem.
    So I was always the opinion to make Cassandra physically stronger than Diana, because of her divine heritage and give her more powers like chanelling the Lightning of Zeus like Shazam does.
    II) I also think a big problem is that she is still a teenager and not a grown up woman like she is in Titans of Tomorrow.
    The Titans of Tomorrow Cassandra in Rebirth was actually the BEST incarnation of her next to the Injustice one.
    She was beautiful, perfect costume and was a great leader...

2. Traci 13:
    Cool powers, but I would love to see her with the Teen Titans instead of Ravager for example.

Conner Kent:
    The Pre-Flashpoint Conner was cool, powerful etc. but the Rebirth Conner is just shy,not as powerful and muscular as his Pre-Flashpoint Counterpart and is in the shadow of Jonathan Samuel Kent....

Empress:
    Empress was one of the most interesting characters in DC-but then they stopped using her...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to ask which characters do you think would be more sucessfull with different writing.

I say that about:

1. Cassandra Sandsmark:
    This was perfect, because it made them different-so you could have written Cassandra as kind of female Thor.
    The problem was that Cassandra was written like an Amazon, which doesnt work, because Cassandra spent only short time with training and not a lifelong training.
    Now with Cassandra as granddaughter of Zeus and Diana as daughter its even a bigger problem.
    So I was always the opinion to make Cassandra physically stronger than Diana, because of her divine heritage and give her more powers like chanelling the Lightning of Zeus like Shazam does.
    II) I also think a big problem is that she is still a teenager and not a grown up woman like she is in Titans of Tomorrow.
    The Titans of Tomorrow Cassandra in Rebirth was actually the BEST incarnation of her next to the Injustice one.
    That would be the perfect way to undermine Wonder Woman even more than DC already does so often, making Wondergirl physically stronger and giving her more powers than the main Wonder Verse hero, cause the whole Jason disaster wasn't enough to remind anyone how extremely successful such obviously bad ideas are.

Even if they would go full Superboy Prime with Cassandra and let her solo the Justice League or other comparable actions would that fail hard in the end with an at least 95% possibility, Grail also started as a bit of a teambuster after all.

I would say Wonder Woman herself fits the bill for the thread question. DC should finally stay away from such bound to be fail ideas, don't write Wonder Woman as often together with Superman or Batman if they can't decently write them in the same book, stop with the constant rebooting, and stop with the constant inventing of new one run wonder Villains.

1. Crimson Fox - the twins sharing the same superhero identity could open all kinds of story potential.

2. Warlord - Conan and Red Sonja seem to keep comics on the shelves. Just put some effort into quality story AND art.

3. Amethyst - could be selling like hot cakes, but DC doesn't think a female power fantasy with a teenage girl becoming a princess in a magical kingdom full of soap opera antics, backstabbing, adventure and romance would sell.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    2. Warlord - Conan and Red Sonja seem to keep comics on the shelves. Just put some effort into quality story AND art.
    Agreed. DC should really leverage its Fantasy-type characters and settings. Claw the Unconquered comes to mind as well.

Etrigan is another character they keep dropping the ball on. The concept of Demon Knights was brilliant. The execution.. not so much.

Perhaps the biggest character they are missing out on is Steel. Awesome real name, awesome look, minority character, tech hero (which DC lacks imo), has a suit like Iron Man and a hammer like Thor, and was portrayed by Shaq on film. In a way he is derivative of Superman, but he doesn't have to be. He can stand on his own and should be portrayed as his own hero (ala, separating Venom in his movie from Spider-Man).
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Hello,

I say that about:

1. Cassandra Sandsmark:
    She was beautiful, perfect costume and was a great leader..
    How does changing a character’s backstory or giving power add-ons constitute different writing?

BANNED

Hello,

I say that about:

1. Cassandra Sandsmark:
    Isn't that already used? Say a reader who forget the history of WW because of reboots.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Gods. Freaking Nightwing. Most writers seem to fall into the same trap. Place him in a town and have him fight street level villains but don't give him anything unique beyond that. If he's just gonna do the same thing as Batman of course people are gonna pick Batman.

- Adam Strange
    - Etrigan

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Gods. Freaking Nightwing. Most writers seem to fall into the same trap. Place him in a town and have him fight street level villains but don't give him anything unique beyond that. If he's just gonna do the same thing as Batman of course people are gonna pick Batman.
    Not everybody will pick Batman.
    If all things were equal, I'd pick Nightwing over Batman simply because he's not Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Agreed. DC should really leverage its Fantasy-type characters and settings. Claw the Unconquered comes to mind as well.

Etrigan is another character they keep dropping the ball on. The concept of Demon Knights was brilliant. The execution.. not so much.

Perhaps the biggest character they are missing out on is Steel. Awesome real name, awesome look, minority character, tech hero (which DC lacks imo), has a suit like Iron Man and a hammer like Thor, and was portrayed by Shaq on film. In a way he is derivative of Superman, but he doesn't have to be. He can stand on his own and should be portrayed as his own hero (ala, separating Venom in his movie from Spider-Man).
    Demon Knights would definitely do better if DC gave it some attention.

I also recently bought a copy of Claw the Unconquered #1 and thought, 'why does DC not use him?'

Not everybody will pick Batman.
    If all things were equal, I'd pick Nightwing over Batman simply because he's not Batman.
    That's what's SUPPOSED to make him special. He SHOULD be better. Not Batman-lite or a Daredevil knockoff.

Empress:
    Empress was one of the most interesting characters in DC-but then they stopped using her...
    Love, Love, Love this character! So glad I'm not the only one that wants more Nita Fite.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Ultimate Member

1. Crimson Fox - the twins sharing the same superhero identity could open all kinds of story potential.

3. Amethyst - could be selling like hot cakes, but DC doesn't think a female power fantasy with a teenage girl becoming a princess in a magical kingdom full of soap opera antics, backstabbing, adventure and romance would sell.
    John Carter was HUGE flop for Disney yet that franchise can toss out books at Dynamite like they were at a strip club tossing dollars.

Amethyst? That is swimming in a Money Bin with Scrooge McDuck right there. The guy who does Princeless (and I think is the same person who did WASP or Moon Girl) could have a field day with her.

Hello,
    We would be here all DAY trying to list everybody.

Even if you do a 12 issue run or OGN.

Bronze Tiger with his nephew Ben Jr. Uncle and nephew hunt down criminals for pay.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Captain Atom. / The Monarch
    ... I get annoyed when think that Dc Has its own Kang the Conquerer but they can't pull the trigger because evil superman vs grizzled future batman is all Dc can
    seem to wrap their head around.

Jason Blood. Etrigan. in that order.

Dr.Fate kinda bites it too.

Blue Beetle (reyes)

Firestorm... just everything.

Oh and the Atomic Skull for that matter.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Amethyst? That is swimming in a Money Bin with Scrooge McDuck right there. The guy who does Princeless (and I think is the same person who did WASP or Moon Girl) could have a field day with her.
    She guest-penciled an issue before, but I think Colleen Doran would do great as both writer and artist.