Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Red Hood, should be written more consistent (= in line with his main book) across his different appearances, and should actually contribute something and not be written as a competent crime fighter (and not just be used as jobber or comic relief) in Batfamily events or other big appearances (like DCeased).

Tim Drake should be given to a writer that can write him.
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-20-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Red Hood, should be written more consistent (= in line with his main book) across his different appearances, and should actually contribute something and not be written as a competent crime fighter (and not just be used as jobber or comic relief) in Batfamily events or other big appearances (like DCeased).

Tim Drake should be given to a writer that can write him.
    A writer that can write him. Who would this be? For Both Tim and Jason who do you think can write them consistently or wants to write them?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    A writer that can write him. Who would this be? For Both Tim and Jason who do you think can write them consistently or wants to write them?
    With Jason the problem is mostly how he is written outside of his own book, and I'm not sure how to fix that that since the writers who do that are otherwise not bad.

For Tim I think out of the writers he had since Flashpoint, I think Tynion was probably the best, just "killing" Tim for most of his TEC run was a pretty bad choice.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    With Jason the problem is mostly how he is written outside of his own book, and I'm not sure how to fix that that since the writers who do that are otherwise not bad.

For Tim I think out of the writers he had since Flashpoint, I think Tynion was probably the best, just "killing" Tim for most of his TEC run was a pretty bad choice.
    maybe better editorial oversight is what's needed with Jason to make sure that all writers know how he is to be handled.

You can get a general feel for how a writers views a character by viewing patterns in their work. You mention DCeased I don't think Tom Taylor is a fan of Jason Todd having read Dceased and Injustice just like Tynion isn't a fan of Damian Wayne. However Tynion handles Damian excellently in titles like Batman/TMNT when mandated to use him. The same can be ensured for all other characters regardless of writers preference if enough oversight is applied.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    maybe better editorial oversight is what's needed with Jason to make sure that all writers know how he is to be handled.

You can get a general feel for how a writers views a character by viewing patterns in their work. You mention DCeased I don't think Tom Taylor is a fan of Jason Todd having read Dceased and Injustice just like Tynion isn't a fan of Damian Wayne. However Tynion handles Damian excellently in titles like Batman/TMNT when mandated to use him. The same can be ensured for all other characters regardless of writers preference if enough oversight is applied.
    Jason definitely would benefit more from consistent editorial enforcement - arguably, his issue is that other writers want the rougher, more antagonistic Jason or want him totally mellow, rather than the more measured approach Lobdell gave him... though considering everything else Lobdell has done at DC, I can get having no respect for his work. Even on his best character. Editorial just needs to figure out what they want, and keep everyone on the same page.

Tim honestly could use Fabian Nicieza back in charge of him; Nicieza, even though he was going Over The Top with Tim’s abilities and world like Tynion was, still has a better handle on Tim’s more mundane humanity elements than Tynion. And I respect him as a professional enough that I think if you wanted him acting more Dixon-like and restrained, he could, and if you wanted him acting like a graduated Robin... well he was already doing that, and pretty successful overall.

For some other franchises...

Star Wars - Rey and Finn. This may be more of an editorial direction thing, but I would want someone who has a critical view of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo and a lot more ambition for Finn to take a crack at the characters. Having the critical view of Kylo may seem weird, but honestly, I view LFL’s all-consuming obsession with Ben as being the biggest liability to writing Rey as a good character, and the main reason why Finn doesn’t get any respect...

... and to be blunt, I think if you want to tackle those characters again, you need to have someone confront and castigate Rey for her softness on Kylo, and have the story flat out admit she made some serious mistakes and kind of betrayed and failed people out of her crush on him... and I think you need a Finn fan who wants to re-establish his place as the male lead of the ST generation against Kylo’s overblown coddling.

I have no idea what Claudia Grey’s exact feelings on everything is, but she’s one of the better writers they have right now, and if you let her tackle these two and gave her permission to deconstruct Kylo’s coddling in the ST, that could provide some of the humanity and liberation the characters need could come from.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

My ideas:

Volcana, Vibe, Silver Deer and Cynthia Reynolds are now agents of the DMA (Department of Metahuman Affairs) aiding metahumans and stopping the bad ones from hurting others.

Koryak, Miya Shimada, Lorena Marquez and Neptune Perkins are Atlantian-human hybrids on a team with Jackson.

Akila of the Bana is a scientist and sorceress.

Delilah Tyler and Jill Carlyle are part of a Shadow Fighters team. Delilah has the power to make herself and others invisible. Jill can turn intangible.

Roy Harper, Artemis Crock and Jade Nguyen are in a book together. Jade and Artemis are sisters like in YJ. Roy is a government agent.

Captain Atom deals with military threats.

DC has a number of nature themed heroes that could be in a team.

Power Girl, Huntress (Helena Wayne) and others as a multiverse police force.

The runaways from Young Justice animated plus Atlee on a team book. They could make an interesting alternative to Teen Titans and the Young Justice comic.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    John Carter was HUGE flop for Disney yet that franchise can toss out books at Dynamite like they were at a strip club tossing dollars.
    How much does Dynamite's John Carter sell?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.

I'd get rid of the reincarnation thing for the Thanagarians. Shayera is Kendra's mother.

Nubia and Donna are now Diana's sisters at the same time. Donna is adopted, Nubia is Philippus's daughter and Diana's stepsister.

Artemis is reimagined as woc Amazon called Amani and is a magic warrior.

Ryuku Orsono (Bushido) is reimagined as demon hunter. His book examines the idea that not all yokai are evil and not all humans are innocent. One of his supporting characters is a half-youkai who defends innocent yokai from evil humans.

Will Harper is integrated into the DCU as a superhuman clone created by Vandal Savage. He is freed and chooses to walk his own path.

The Global Guardians are brought back as an international team in vein of Overwatch. They get more fleshed out depictions especially Owlwoman and Gloss.

Cassie Sandsmark and Lyta Milton have a book of their own.

Vanessa Kapatelis is one of the Star Riders.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-20-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd get rid of the reincarnation thing for the Thanagarians. Shayera is Kendra's mother.
    Which would also make Carter Kendra's father.

Amethyst? That is swimming in a Money Bin with Scrooge McDuck right there. The guy who does Princeless (and I think is the same person who did WASP or Moon Girl) could have a field day with her.
    Yes, Princeless is by Jeremy Whitley, who as you rightly say, wrote Unstoppable Wasp. He has nothing to do with Moon Girl though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which would also make Carter Kendra's father.

Yes, Princeless is by Jeremy Whitley, who as you rightly say, wrote Unstoppable Wasp. He has nothing to do with Moon Girl though.
    Actually I wanted Kendra's father to be a human to keep her Hispanic heritage.

Ultimate Member

How much does Dynamite's John Carter sell?
    They tend to run a book for x number of issues and then stop. I have seen them do more with the women from John Carter than him as of late.

So while an ongoing Gemworld might not be a good idea. A 12 issue mini or do what Titan Comics does with Rivers of London-all series are minis.

Had to be one of those books. Ben a while since I have seen Princeless on a store shelf-our libraries have stock the book.

Hard to do that wen most books are under a set number of people.

The Bat Office can't tell say Superman office how to write Jason-they are going to do what the X-Office does to Black Panther. Throw shade when needed.

Extraordinary Member

The Bat Office can't tell say Superman office how to write Jason-they are going to do what the X-Office does to Black Panther. Throw shade when needed.
    If they would enforce it within their own office it would already a big step forward.
    Jason is anyway not used as much by other offices, and when he is there usually treated better. I mean just compare his appearances in the last issue of Teen Titans and the last issue of Nightwing.

Primal Force - a book starring some of DC's nature based heroes. Equinox, Ya'Wara, Vixen, Freedom Beast, Animal Man, Zoraida and others. Maybe Atlee too.

Primal Force - a book starring some of DC's nature based heroes. Equinox, Ya'Wara, Vixen, Freedom Beast, Animal Man, Zoraida and others. Maybe Atlee too.
    Is Equinox even existing as of now? I think he got retconned out just some years after Power Girl gave birth to him lmao

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Is Equinox even existing as of now? I think he got retconned out just some years after Power Girl gave birth to him lmao
    Not that Equinox, this one.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Miiyahbin..._(Prime_Earth)

Nubia and Donna are now Diana's sisters at the same time. Donna is adopted, Nubia is Philippus's daughter and Diana's stepsister.

Artemis is reimagined as woc Amazon called Amani and is a magic warrior.

Ryuku Orsono (Bushido) is reimagined as demon hunter. His book examines the idea that not all yokai are evil and not all humans are innocent. One of his supporting characters is a half-youkai who defends innocent yokai from evil humans.

Will Harper is integrated into the DCU as a superhuman clone created by Vandal Savage. He is freed and chooses to walk his own path.

The Global Guardians are brought back as an international team in vein of Overwatch. They get more fleshed out depictions especially Owlwoman and Gloss.

Cassie Sandsmark and Lyta Milton have a book of their own.

Vanessa Kapatelis is one of the Star Riders.
    What is with people writing off redheads and making them into different characters? Artemis especially seems to be a target lately, for what reason, I don't know. Rather than racebend yet another red head, make a new poc character and promote them.