Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    What is with people writing off redheads and making them into different characters? Artemis especially seems to be a target lately, for what reason, I don't know. Rather than racebend yet another red head, make a new poc character and promote them.
    For the record, she'd still be a redhead.

Also, I never see these complaints when redheads are portrayed by white people with black or brown hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd get rid of the reincarnation thing for the Thanagarians. Shayera is Kendra's mother.

Nubia and Donna are now Diana's sisters at the same time. Donna is adopted, Nubia is Philippus's daughter and Diana's stepsister.

Artemis is reimagined as woc Amazon called Amani and is a magic warrior.

Ryuku Orsono (Bushido) is reimagined as demon hunter. His book examines the idea that not all yokai are evil and not all humans are innocent. One of his supporting characters is a half-youkai who defends innocent yokai from evil humans.

Will Harper is integrated into the DCU as a superhuman clone created by Vandal Savage. He is freed and chooses to walk his own path.

The Global Guardians are brought back as an international team in vein of Overwatch. They get more fleshed out depictions especially Owlwoman and Gloss.

Cassie Sandsmark and Lyta Milton have a book of their own.

Vanessa Kapatelis is one of the Star Riders.
    I love your Bushido idea, I've always liked that character
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    That would be the perfect way to undermine Wonder Woman even more than DC already does so often, making Wondergirl physically stronger and giving her more powers than the main Wonder Verse hero, cause the whole Jason disaster wasn't enough to remind anyone how extremely successful such obviously bad ideas are.

Even if they would go full Superboy Prime with Cassandra and let her solo the Justice League or other comparable actions would that fail hard in the end with an at least 95% possibility, Grail also started as a bit of a teambuster after all.

I would say Wonder Woman herself fits the bill for the thread question. DC should finally stay away from such bound to be fail ideas, don't write Wonder Woman as often together with Superman or Batman if they can't decently write them in the same book, stop with the constant rebooting, and stop with the constant inventing of new one run wonder Villains.
    But Cassie wouldn't be physically stronger than either Donna or Diana. The Gods were lretty well defined with how they related Pre-Flashpoint. The poster just probably didn't know that. It was c li early defined and shown that Cassie as a Demigod was not stronger than Donna (owing her strength to Titans) or Donna (owing her strength to Gaea)

I'd get rid of the reincarnation thing for the Thanagarians. Shayera is Kendra's mother.

Nubia and Donna are now Diana's sisters at the same time. Donna is adopted, Nubia is Philippus's daughter and Diana's stepsister.

Ryuku Orsono (Bushido) is reimagined as demon hunter. His book examines the idea that not all yokai are evil and not all humans are innocent. One of his supporting characters is a half-youkai who defends innocent yokai from evil humans.

Will Harper is integrated into the DCU as a superhuman clone created by Vandal Savage. He is freed and chooses to walk his own path.

The Global Guardians are brought back as an international team in vein of Overwatch. They get more fleshed out depictions especially Owlwoman and Gloss.

The question is, how much can you change a character before they turn into a completely different one?

If you change the name and looks of character, they continue to be the same character? Hal Jordan is a reimagining of Green Lantern but in no way he is the same character as Alan Scott, or Barry is of Jay Garrick.

Like, Morpheus started as Neil Gaiman wanting to do a reimagining of Golden Age Sandman, a long the way he end up creating a completely new character, so maybe instead of reimagining Artemis they should just created a new Amazon warrior.

I’ve had a similar idea and would give Lyta the Fury title.

BANNED

I will throw a bone here and say that a suspense, mystery, horror story with Martian Manhunter will be interesting. Basically, a mystery-noir story meets Rick and Morty and Men in Black.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1. Crimson Fox - the twins sharing the same superhero identity could open all kinds of story potential.

2. Warlord - Conan and Red Sonja seem to keep comics on the shelves. Just put some effort into quality story AND art.

3. Amethyst - could be selling like hot cakes, but DC doesn't think a female power fantasy with a teenage girl becoming a princess in a magical kingdom full of soap opera antics, backstabbing, adventure and romance would sell.

DC is missing out on a major market. There's a reason why manga has an entire genre dedicated to giving teenage power fantasies
    It's because they are an equally important market, just look at Sailor moon.

cardcaptor-sakura-165.jpg
    Even Italy and France have made comics & cartoons following this trend(w.i.t.c.h and winx franchise)

If the sailor moon blueprint works for western cartoons it can work for YA comics. DC should have a writer make a female team of other humans transported to the Gem World with Amethyst.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Damian Wayne

Instead of making him an edgy leader of the teen titans, they should make a shonen battle manga style comic. Give Damian a younger characters to interact who don't have a tragic past and aren't edgelords but do have cool powers/fighting style that make for a good read. Supersons is close but the cast was too small to fit into this model.

Tldr: give Damian a solo comic with a big cast and emphasis on fights.

Dr Fate/Khalid

Capitalize off him lacking experience as Dr Fate and make a series where he has to prove his worth.

The Lords of Order need more worldbuilding. Doesn't make sense that a handful of characters are dedicated to keeping the universes magic in order. Make an entire society filled with "agents" dedicated to keeping order and stopping choas. Have ranking among them with the Lords of Order and Dr Fate at the top.

Give Khalid a cast of other magicians around his age competing to prove their worth as the next Dr Fate. A magical rat race or tournament based around this. Or maybe have some happy with being "agents of order". Each of these characters should have unique fighting styles and motivations. Have the motivation of both choas and order questioned.

Genre: maybe political intrigue but mostly action and world building.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They tend to run a book for x number of issues and then stop. I have seen them do more with the women from John Carter than him as of late.

So while an ongoing Gemworld might not be a good idea. A 12 issue mini or do what Titan Comics does with Rivers of London-all series are minis.

Had to be one of those books. Ben a while since I have seen Princeless on a store shelf-our libraries have stock the book.

Hard to do that wen most books are under a set number of people.

The Bat Office can't tell say Superman office how to write Jason-they are going to do what the X-Office does to Black Panther. Throw shade when needed.
    Re: dynamite, if you collect comics with a black.lead, from memory i thoroughly enjoyed this. Worth checking out if you dont have it and can get the issues cheap

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...=C725130125460

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    A writer that can write him. Who would this be? For Both Tim and Jason who do you think can write them consistently or wants to write them?
    Chip Zdarsky did gritty grounded anti-heroes well in the recent Daredevil comic. Maybe he can try out red hood.

For the record, she'd still be a redhead.

Also, I never see these complaints when redheads are portrayed by white people with black or brown hair.

Amani suggests Persian mythos. Why not make a magical character inspired by that mythology rather than recycling an existing greek inspired character? Greek inspired heroes are overdone anyway.

Artemis fighting style doesn't involve that much magic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    What is with people writing off redheads and making them into different characters? Artemis especially seems to be a target lately, for what reason, I don't know. Rather than racebend yet another red head, make a new poc character and promote them.
    Your suggestion is certainly the most ideal and reasonable thing to do. I also don't understand some people's love for race bending characters. You want good PoC, I'm sorry, but there are no easy shortcuts. You actually have to build them to be good. Stealing white characters just leads to contention and problems, and someone can just as easily bend the characters right back the way they were...because, again, contention. Not everyone will be on the page with something like that. Hardly. And I think flip flopping like that just confuses and damages a character's brand.
    Last edited by Hi-Max; 09-22-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Amani suggests Persian mythos. Why not make a magical character inspired by that mythology rather than recycling an existing greek inspired character? Greek inspired heroes are overdone anyway.

Artemis fighting style doesn't involve that much magic.
    From what I read, the name Amani is of Arabic origin. Also, Artemis is from an Egyptian Amazon tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Max View Post
    Your suggestion is certainly the most ideal and reasonable thing to do. I also don't understand some people's love for race bending characters. You want good PoC, I'm sorry, but there are no easy shortcuts. You actually have to build them to be good. Stealing white characters just leads to contention and problems, and someone can just as easily bend the characters right back the way they were...because, again, contention. Not everyone will be on the page with something like that. Hardly. And I think flip flopping like that just confuses and damages a character's brand.
    Just about any decision someone suggests in this thread will lead to contention. I also offered ideas for non-racebent poc characters so I don't see it isn't like I'm only resorting to racebending.