Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Characters who do you think would be more sucessfull with different writing etc.

Hello,
    I would like to ask which characters do you think would be more sucessfull with different writing.

I say that about:

1. Cassandra Sandsmark:
    I) The Pre-Flashpoint Situation was perfect:
    Diana as Amazon and Cassandra as daughter of Zeus.
    This was perfect, because it made them different-so you could have written Cassandra as kind of female Thor.
    The problem was that Cassandra was written like an Amazon, which doesnt work, because Cassandra spent only short time with training and not a lifelong training.
    Now with Cassandra as granddaughter of Zeus and Diana as daughter its even a bigger problem.
    So I was always the opinion to make Cassandra physically stronger than Diana, because of her divine heritage and give her more powers like chanelling the Lightning of Zeus like Shazam does.
    II) I also think a big problem is that she is still a teenager and not a grown up woman like she is in Titans of Tomorrow.
    The Titans of Tomorrow Cassandra in Rebirth was actually the BEST incarnation of her next to the Injustice one.
    She was beautiful, perfect costume and was a great leader...

2. Traci 13:
    Cool powers, but I would love to see her with the Teen Titans instead of Ravager for example.

Conner Kent:
    The Pre-Flashpoint Conner was cool, powerful etc. but the Rebirth Conner is just shy,not as powerful and muscular as his Pre-Flashpoint Counterpart and is in the shadow of Jonathan Samuel Kent....

Empress:
    Empress was one of the most interesting characters in DC-but then they stopped using her...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to ask which characters do you think would be more sucessfull with different writing.

I say that about:

1. Cassandra Sandsmark:
    I) The Pre-Flashpoint Situation was perfect:
    Diana as Amazon and Cassandra as daughter of Zeus.
    This was perfect, because it made them different-so you could have written Cassandra as kind of female Thor.
    The problem was that Cassandra was written like an Amazon, which doesnt work, because Cassandra spent only short time with training and not a lifelong training.
    Now with Cassandra as granddaughter of Zeus and Diana as daughter its even a bigger problem.
    So I was always the opinion to make Cassandra physically stronger than Diana, because of her divine heritage and give her more powers like chanelling the Lightning of Zeus like Shazam does.
    II) I also think a big problem is that she is still a teenager and not a grown up woman like she is in Titans of Tomorrow.
    The Titans of Tomorrow Cassandra in Rebirth was actually the BEST incarnation of her next to the Injustice one.
    She was beautiful, perfect costume and was a great leader...
    That would be the perfect way to undermine Wonder Woman even more than DC already does so often, making Wondergirl physically stronger and giving her more powers than the main Wonder Verse hero, cause the whole Jason disaster wasn't enough to remind anyone how extremely successful such obviously bad ideas are.

Even if they would go full Superboy Prime with Cassandra and let her solo the Justice League or other comparable actions would that fail hard in the end with an at least 95% possibility, Grail also started as a bit of a teambuster after all.

I would say Wonder Woman herself fits the bill for the thread question. DC should finally stay away from such bound to be fail ideas, don't write Wonder Woman as often together with Superman or Batman if they can't decently write them in the same book, stop with the constant rebooting, and stop with the constant inventing of new one run wonder Villains.

1. Crimson Fox - the twins sharing the same superhero identity could open all kinds of story potential.

2. Warlord - Conan and Red Sonja seem to keep comics on the shelves. Just put some effort into quality story AND art.

3. Amethyst - could be selling like hot cakes, but DC doesn't think a female power fantasy with a teenage girl becoming a princess in a magical kingdom full of soap opera antics, backstabbing, adventure and romance would sell.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    2. Warlord - Conan and Red Sonja seem to keep comics on the shelves. Just put some effort into quality story AND art.
    Agreed. DC should really leverage its Fantasy-type characters and settings. Claw the Unconquered comes to mind as well.

Etrigan is another character they keep dropping the ball on. The concept of Demon Knights was brilliant. The execution.. not so much.

Perhaps the biggest character they are missing out on is Steel. Awesome real name, awesome look, minority character, tech hero (which DC lacks imo), has a suit like Iron Man and a hammer like Thor, and was portrayed by Shaq on film. In a way he is derivative of Superman, but he doesn't have to be. He can stand on his own and should be portrayed as his own hero (ala, separating Venom in his movie from Spider-Man).
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Agreed. DC should really leverage its Fantasy-type characters and settings. Claw the Unconquered comes to mind as well.

Etrigan is another character they keep dropping the ball on. The concept of Demon Knights was brilliant. The execution.. not so much.

Perhaps the biggest character they are missing out on is Steel. Awesome real name, awesome look, minority character, tech hero (which DC lacks imo), has a suit like Iron Man and a hammer like Thor, and was portrayed by Shaq on film. In a way he is derivative of Superman, but he doesn't have to be. He can stand on his own and should be portrayed as his own hero (ala, separating Venom in his movie from Spider-Man).
    Demon Knights would definitely do better if DC gave it some attention.

I also recently bought a copy of Claw the Unconquered #1 and thought, 'why does DC not use him?'

Ultimate Member

1. Crimson Fox - the twins sharing the same superhero identity could open all kinds of story potential.

3. Amethyst - could be selling like hot cakes, but DC doesn't think a female power fantasy with a teenage girl becoming a princess in a magical kingdom full of soap opera antics, backstabbing, adventure and romance would sell.
    John Carter was HUGE flop for Disney yet that franchise can toss out books at Dynamite like they were at a strip club tossing dollars.

Amethyst? That is swimming in a Money Bin with Scrooge McDuck right there. The guy who does Princeless (and I think is the same person who did WASP or Moon Girl) could have a field day with her.

Hello,
    We would be here all DAY trying to list everybody.

Even if you do a 12 issue run or OGN.

Bronze Tiger with his nephew Ben Jr. Uncle and nephew hunt down criminals for pay.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Amethyst? That is swimming in a Money Bin with Scrooge McDuck right there. The guy who does Princeless (and I think is the same person who did WASP or Moon Girl) could have a field day with her.
    She guest-penciled an issue before, but I think Colleen Doran would do great as both writer and artist.

Extraordinary Member

Red Hood, should be written more consistent (= in line with his main book) across his different appearances, and should actually contribute something and not be written as a competent crime fighter (and not just be used as jobber or comic relief) in Batfamily events or other big appearances (like DCeased).

Tim Drake should be given to a writer that can write him.
    Last edited by Aahz; 09-20-2020 at 01:35 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Dr Fate/Khalid

Capitalize off him lacking experience as Dr Fate and make a series where he has to prove his worth.

The Lords of Order need more worldbuilding. Doesn't make sense that a handful of characters are dedicated to keeping the universes magic in order. Make an entire society filled with "agents" dedicated to keeping order and stopping choas. Have ranking among them with the Lords of Order and Dr Fate at the top.

Give Khalid a cast of other magicians around his age competing to prove their worth as the next Dr Fate. A magical rat race or tournament based around this. Or maybe have some happy with being "agents of order". Each of these characters should have unique fighting styles and motivations. Have the motivation of both choas and order questioned.

Genre: maybe political intrigue but mostly action and world building.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

My ideas:

Volcana, Vibe, Silver Deer and Cynthia Reynolds are now agents of the DMA (Department of Metahuman Affairs) aiding metahumans and stopping the bad ones from hurting others.

Koryak, Miya Shimada, Lorena Marquez and Neptune Perkins are Atlantian-human hybrids on a team with Jackson.

Akila of the Bana is a scientist and sorceress.

Delilah Tyler and Jill Carlyle are part of a Shadow Fighters team. Delilah has the power to make herself and others invisible. Jill can turn intangible.

Roy Harper, Artemis Crock and Jade Nguyen are in a book together. Jade and Artemis are sisters like in YJ. Roy is a government agent.

Captain Atom deals with military threats.

DC has a number of nature themed heroes that could be in a team.

Power Girl, Huntress (Helena Wayne) and others as a multiverse police force.

The runaways from Young Justice animated plus Atlee on a team book. They could make an interesting alternative to Teen Titans and the Young Justice comic.

John Carter was HUGE flop for Disney yet that franchise can toss out books at Dynamite like they were at a strip club tossing dollars.
    How much does Dynamite's John Carter sell?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-20-2020 at 08:51 AM.

I'd get rid of the reincarnation thing for the Thanagarians. Shayera is Kendra's mother.

Nubia and Donna are now Diana's sisters at the same time. Donna is adopted, Nubia is Philippus's daughter and Diana's stepsister.

Artemis is reimagined as woc Amazon called Amani and is a magic warrior.

Ryuku Orsono (Bushido) is reimagined as demon hunter. His book examines the idea that not all yokai are evil and not all humans are innocent. One of his supporting characters is a half-youkai who defends innocent yokai from evil humans.

Will Harper is integrated into the DCU as a superhuman clone created by Vandal Savage. He is freed and chooses to walk his own path.

The Global Guardians are brought back as an international team in vein of Overwatch. They get more fleshed out depictions especially Owlwoman and Gloss.

Cassie Sandsmark and Lyta Milton have a book of their own.

Vanessa Kapatelis is one of the Star Riders.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-20-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How much does Dynamite's John Carter sell?
    They tend to run a book for x number of issues and then stop. I have seen them do more with the women from John Carter than him as of late.

So while an ongoing Gemworld might not be a good idea. A 12 issue mini or do what Titan Comics does with Rivers of London-all series are minis.

Yes, Princeless is by Jeremy Whitley, who as you rightly say, wrote Unstoppable Wasp. He has nothing to do with Moon Girl though.
    Had to be one of those books. Ben a while since I have seen Princeless on a store shelf-our libraries have stock the book.

maybe better editorial oversight is what's needed with Jason to make sure that all writers know how he is to be handled.
    Hard to do that wen most books are under a set number of people.

The Bat Office can't tell say Superman office how to write Jason-they are going to do what the X-Office does to Black Panther. Throw shade when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd get rid of the reincarnation thing for the Thanagarians. Shayera is Kendra's mother.
    Which would also make Carter Kendra's father.

Yes, Princeless is by Jeremy Whitley, who as you rightly say, wrote Unstoppable Wasp. He has nothing to do with Moon Girl though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which would also make Carter Kendra's father.

Actually I wanted Kendra's father to be a human to keep her Hispanic heritage.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

DC is missing out on a major market. There's a reason why manga has an entire genre dedicated to giving teenage power fantasies
    It's because they are an equally important market, just look at Sailor moon.

cardcaptor-sakura-165.jpg
    Even Italy and France have made comics & cartoons following this trend(w.i.t.c.h and winx franchise)

If the sailor moon blueprint works for western cartoons it can work for YA comics. DC should have a writer make a female team of other humans transported to the Gem World with Amethyst.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?