Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default is time warner in financial trouble?

recently i've read that there has been interest in time warner being bought by other corporations. i was wondering why. is time warner in trouble?

some articles even mentioned disney as a potential buyer? disney who owns marvel...

i would prefer dc and marvel continue to be separate entities. just so the low tier characters of each company would still get attention. kind of like when dc and wildstorm merged, wildstorm characters became less important it seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    recently i've read that there has been interest in time warner being bought by other corporations. i was wondering why. is time warner in trouble?

some articles even mentioned disney as a potential buyer? disney who owns marvel...

i would prefer dc and marvel continue to be separate entities. just so the low tier characters of each company would still get attention. kind of like when dc and wildstorm merged, wildstorm characters became less important it seemed.
    21st Century Fox tried to buy Time Warner and they rejected it, I don't think it went beyond that.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    21st Century Fox tried to buy Time Warner and they rejected it, I don't think it went beyond that.
    Sources are saying that Disney is going to make an offer of 169 billion. Fox's final offer was 32 billion (i think).

I wonder if the govt would consider Disney owning Time Warner a monopoly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Sources are saying that Disney is going to make an offer of 169 billion. Fox's final offer was 32 billion (i think).
    What sources? You think even Disney has $169 billion available to just throw around? BTW, Fox's offer was around $80 billion (not $32 billion) and it still wasn't enough. If anything, it's probably some people flat out inventing stuff for hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Tec15 View Post
    What sources? You think even Disney has $169 billion available to just throw around? BTW, Fox's offer was around $80 billion (not $32 billion) and it still wasn't enough. If anything, it's probably some people flat out inventing stuff for hits.
    http://www.newsarama.com/21880-could...dc-merger.html

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i was thinking of the same thing...

disney owning marvel is just fine with me. but when they got hold of star wars... well it left me wondering what would happen with the extended universe continuity (thrawn, jacen, jaina, mara jade....) . too bad for dark horse i get.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Of what? Disney would own the lion share of the market but their control would not be a monopoly since there are many other viable companies in the marketplace. Most of them do not sell bucket loads of comics but at the end of the day that is just the consumer expressing their interest in characters they like and want to read about.

BANNED

Thought so. Literally nothing about Disney offering $169 billion. Just regurgitates some baseless speculation from the Hollywood Reporter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Of what? Disney would own the lion share of the market but their control would not be a monopoly since there are many other viable companies in the marketplace. Most of them do not sell bucket loads of comics but at the end of the day that is just the consumer expressing their interest in characters they like and want to read about.
    You do realize that Time Warner also makes movies and tv shows and owns several cable channels? Comics would be the least of the problems.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

You do realize that Time Warner also makes movies and tv shows and owns several cable channels? Comics would be the least of the problems.
    Warner and Disney do not hold a lion-share of any other market, really. Plus, it would be very simple to sell off any bit of Warner that Disney did not want. The big draw is CNN and HBO, which both represent two jewels Disney desperately wants.

Actually, the fact that Disney would own Cartoon Network is interesting, especially as it relates to the way CN and Disney XD could team up to beat down Nick. Disney would also get control over Hana-Barbara. Scooby Doo, Flintsones, Jetsons and Yogi Bear would be awesome to see at Disney Land. I'm also sure ESPN wants to get ahold of some of Turner Sports' broadcast rights.

BANNED

Thought so. Literally nothing about Disney offering $169 billion. Just regurgitates some baseless speculation from the Hollywood Reporter.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=106023

Here, I just got confused and thought that their offer was 169 billion. Turns out that their market cap is 149 billion, while WB's is 63 billion.

Astonishing Member

Time warner isn't in financial trouble. Reason for numerous sources citing possible take over is because time warner recently just spin off several entities making themselves more vulnerable for takeover.
    Time incorporated (all mags), Aol, time warner cable have just recently spin off and broke away from time warner. Leaving time warner with warner bros (including wb films, tv, CW, looney tunes and dc), turner (tnt, tbs), hbo, cnn and CW.
    Effectively, what time warner is doing is to spin off all the entities that don't generate that much profit and kept all the most profitable tv and movies related companies. That way they're just focusing solely on tv and movies without all the prints, cable and internet.
    This is in effect a pretty good strategy until they're being targeted by fox for takeover. Time warner being a highly profitable media conglomerate with numerous franchise on hand is extremely lucrative for any media conglomerate and if fox takes over time warner, fox/time warner could be the strongest media conglomerate and almost a monopoly. So fox inadvertently started a bidding war which is bad for consumers all around.
    The only strategy to stop this would be time warner taking over CBS. With their long standing relationship, time warner could come up with a merger plan and it'll benefit all consumers, fox would also be unable to do a hostile takeover since certain laws prohibits any corporation from owning 2 major broadcast channels.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Time warner isn't in financial trouble. Reason for numerous sources citing possible take over is because time warner recently just spin off several entities making themselves more vulnerable for takeover.
    Time incorporated (all mags), Aol, time warner cable have just recently spin off and broke away from time warner. Leaving time warner with warner bros (including wb films, tv, CW, looney tunes and dc), turner (tnt, tbs), hbo, cnn and CW.
    Effectively, what time warner is doing is to spin off all the entities that don't generate that much profit and kept all the most profitable tv and movies related companies. That way they're just focusing solely on tv and movies without all the prints, cable and internet.
    This is in effect a pretty good strategy until they're being targeted by fox for takeover. Time warner being a highly profitable media conglomerate with numerous franchise on hand is extremely lucrative for any media conglomerate and if fox takes over time warner, fox/time warner could be the strongest media conglomerate and almost a monopoly. So fox inadvertently started a bidding war which is bad for consumers all around.
    The only strategy to stop this would be time warner taking over CBS. With their long standing relationship, time warner could come up with a merger plan and it'll benefit all consumers, fox would also be unable to do a hostile takeover since certain laws prohibits any corporation from owning 2 major broadcast channels.
    thaaank you! that was really helpful. i was confused on why there are talks of time warner being bought.

by the way, how did you know this? i'm actually impressed with your last sentence.

and as consumers we're only spectators aren't we? no amount of expressing my opinion would matter at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    CNN falls under Turner.