Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default GL Godhead: Are you excited?

Hey guys.

What are on your thoughts on the new event by Venditti & Co?

Two things bother me.

1. Venditti kinda doesnt get how some rings work, specially the Sapphire ring. This could get a lot worse if the Indigo Tribe shows up.
    2. The whole "we're draining the universe" thing never felt right to me. Bringing the New Gods in only makes that official. Oan tech was very clear before, they collect emotion from the entire universe and then they turn it into light. The Source didnt have much to do with and it made perfect sense.

Also I have a question.

Was that really Parallax (on the last Sinestro Issue)? or was it just a ruse made by Sinestro too make Hal look bad?.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    Two things bother me.

2. The whole "we're draining the universe" thing never felt right to me. Bringing the New Gods in only makes that official. Oan tech was very clear before, they collect emotion from the entire universe and then they turn it into light. The Source didnt have much to do with and it made perfect sense.
    Well, before that, the power used to come from the Guardians' bodies, or some such. Johns didn't invent Green Lantern, the power ring, or its principles. He just worked on the franchise for a long time and changed/retconned/added a lot of stuff. If he can do that, I don't see why others can't. Not that I'm particularly crazy about the reservoir idea (I'm actually fairly indifferent), but it's the idea that Geoff Johns' Green Lantern is the only Green Lantern that matters and ever will matter is what I'm not particularly keen to.

As for the crossover, I'm hoping the writers use it as an opportunity to clean up some of this Emotional Spectrum mess, like how they did with "Lights Out" some (destroying the Entities). I'd actually be surprised if they didn't, going by the premise of the whole thing. I don't mind keeping some of it around so Carol Ferris can still be Star Sapphire, and Guy Gardner can still be a Red Lantern and Kyle Rayner can do... something unique. But all these redundant Corps? Really, I can't see a reason for Larfleeze to stick around, or the Indigo Tribe, or the Black Lanterns. And I would rather not see a Corps of Star Sapphires.

What I'm concerned about is the length of the crossover. I was okay with "Lights Out" because it lasted a month. "Uprising" was essentially the culminations of stories already going on in Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps. But with the upcoming "Futures End" issues, I feel like it will be a while before things are brought back to regular storylines. This event is already lasting at least two months and spanning a bunch of books. It might last three.
    Last edited by Desh; 08-30-2014 at 11:51 AM.

New Gods is an important property and maybe we can one day see New Gods movies compete with the Thor movies. I have suggested using guest appearances to bring back the New Gods before and this was done before in the Genesis event of John Byrne. A similar guest appearances approach can be used to build up a 21st century Legion to compete with the Guardians of the Galaxy. The 21st century United Planets mythology can probably complement the Green Lantern mythology. DC can also use Green Lantern Corps movies with all alien green lanterns to compete with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars. Lantern warriors can probably be done more like Jedi Knights. Right now, dc is also promoting the 31st century legion using guest appearances like in Justice League United. Current physics does say energy can't be created or destroyed so it does make sense that the Lanterns are getting their energy from somewhere that could run out of energy. Using the source wall as an energy source in the lights out event was a strained way to bring in the New Gods of the next event godhead. Easy to retcon out the source wall from GL mythology in the future same as what happened to the ignored Genesis event of John Byrne.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 08-30-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Since you asked . . . no.

No, not really.
    However, I'm excited for what it may bring in its wake.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Well, before that, the power used to come from the Guardians' bodies, or some such. Johns didn't invent Green Lantern, the power ring, or its principles. He just worked on the franchise for a long time and changed/retconned/added a lot of stuff. If he can do that, I don't see why others can't. Not that I'm particularly crazy about the reservoir idea (I'm actually fairly indifferent), but it's the idea that Geoff Johns' Green Lantern is the only Green Lantern that matters and ever will matter is what I'm not particularly keen to.
    Thats not the point nor did he even said Johns did any of those stuff but wow you must be a record to bring up Johns already, what Vendetti did was stupid and what it made power battery and Central Power batteries irrelevant.

Emotions were collected from every being in the universe into the battery so what's the reservior for? if every beings produced emotions why is it limited? the hold draining the universe
    was for shock value and it just plain crap that needs to be retcon out, the GLC is the only one that evens follow it all the others ignore it.

Was that really Parallax (on the last Sinestro Issue)? or was it just a ruse made by Sinestro too make Hal look bad?.
    Yes, that's definitely Parallax. Sinestro also mentions he'e able to control the entity. He also mentioned Hal Jordan didn't know how to control it. So since he learned about the ancient text, he knows how to master his control of the entity. Sinestro probably will have more tricks up his sleeve in the upcoming Godhead event.

About GL: Godhead, I wasn't that excited about it first, but now I'm excited with all the talks about it from fans. I don't think Relic was a "bad" story, but I thought it was good, considering about Relic's existence outside of the source wall, not being a typical foe as you would expect. The story itself fits better with a non-canon type story, which I thought was a problem with current continuity.

I would be excited if it was confined to the main GL title or just a limited run series of its own. As it is, I'll only be picking up GODHEAD and GL, so the story may be severely impacted as a result of missing so many parts.

BANNED

No. Not at all. I only read New Guardians (for Kyle), and I hate when it gets pulled into a mega-crossover (and there seems to be a new one every 6 months in the GL books).

No because I hate cross overs like this and people are right there is some type of Green Lantern cross over every 6 months and we are just coming off of Superman Doomed which lasted way too long. At least with the cross over this summer you didn't need to buy gl and glc to fully get everything. I would skip this story arc but I don't want my Green Lantern collection to suffer by missing issues.

I thought the idea was cool, but think it would work better in a different universe like if there is a Green Lantern Earth One book. Like make the Green Lanterns have to answer to the guardians if they use too much light and they are able to sense the universe being drained. I feel like eventually when a new writers takes over it will be retconned.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Well, before that, the power used to come from the Guardians' bodies, or some such. Johns didn't invent Green Lantern, the power ring, or its principles. He just worked on the franchise for a long time and changed/retconned/added a lot of stuff. If he can do that, I don't see why others can't.
    I totally respect that. Although, as a guy who loves GL because of what Johns did (even though i read and love GL since Kyle got his ring), i feel a little dissapointed. He managed not only to make a best-selling book (plus epic events like Blackest Night), but to establish a whole universe that makes the characters interesting and important within the DCU AND the fandom.
    I understand if a writer feels the need retcon stuff from the 70's, 80's and even the 90's, because things need to be updated (to make more sense or to make it cooler), but Geoff only left a year ago. It's just too soon.
    Also, writer must be careful when they change things. Guy as a Red, awesome idea. He gets is own book and make things interesting (Soule is very good, imo). Kyle as a white lantern, cool. It gives him potential given the existence of a new earth lantern (Baz). Changing the whole fundation of how the universe works, it may be a little too much.

I definitely hope that this whole Source thing gets retconned fast.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Mighty Member

Venditti pitched his run with a question: Where did the energy come from? He legitimately didn't know, and if there was an answer, a definitive answer, than it was editorials job to tell him. Instead they went, "That's a great question!" And so his reign began.

Okay, so it's pretty apparent I seem to be the only person in the entire world who's actually excited for Godhead. Yeah, I'm excited for it. Green Lantern vs New Gods? Emotional Spectrum and the Source Wall? Sign me on the dotted line immediately. I pick up all five Green Lantern books anyway precisely for this reason, so it's not like it's going to grab more money out of me.

This event is already lasting at least two months and spanning a bunch of books. It might last three.
    Godhead is one month. Godhead and GL one week, GLC the next, New Guardians week after that, then Red Lanterns and Sinestro close out the last week.

If there's one thing to be said about Venditti's reign on the franchise, it's that he keeps the big event crossovers tight and to the point, begun and resolved within a month. Every issue is used to maximum efficiency. The only problem I had with Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern, other than the fact that they took 8 months to resolve, was that most of it was unnecessary. New Guardians and Red Lanterns were almost completely superfluous to the story actually being told in the main Green Lantern title. Venditti on the other hand makes sure everything counts and there's no filler. Lights Out was great because it was short and to the point.
    Last edited by PyroSikTh; 08-31-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Godhead is one month. Godhead and GL one week, GLC the next, New Guardians week after that, then Red Lanterns and Sinestro close out the last week.
    No, it's not, it's at least two months long. There's "GODHEAD: Act 1" in October and then "GODHEAD: Act 2" in November. And I suppose there's (at least) an Act 3 in December.

Amazing Member

Yes. Because at least Godhead is more interesting than Lights out and Uprising.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Venditti pitched his run with a question: Where did the energy come from? He legitimately didn't know, and if there was an answer, a definitive answer, than it was editorials job to tell him. Instead they went, "That's a great question!" And so his reign began.
    IMO, If they solve that question creatively, this whole lame "we're draining the universe" thing could be one of the greatest thing in GL universe.

What if the reservoir is actually a massive magical pool that entities are living in? What if there is "land of the living and emotion" thing in outside of source wall?

Nothing has explained yet, and if Venditti is planning to "Let's support and expand Johns's GL universe", (not "F*ck Johns's GL, It's mine now!") by emotional reservoir stuff, this whole idea will be AWSOME.
    Last edited by Pandaman; 08-31-2014 at 02:29 AM.