Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Will WW84 help Cheetah?

There is one thing that bothers me. I saw something about the way Cheetah is supposed to go down according to some leaks of WW84. And i feel that if it's true. That's not the best way to show Cheetah. The film will be a great opportunity for Cheetah. And i hope it can help her trackrecord in the comics too. I love Patty and i think she has a solid grasp for the character of Diana and her world. But if those leaks are true, i think it is a mistake to make Cheetah go down that way. I would expect more from a high tier. So what do you think?

Arrow

I'm sure Diana will at least try to help Cheetah, that's what true heroes do after all.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Who knows?

Film adaptations of superheroes usually see longstanding villains defeated in the same films they are introduced in to give a sense of accomplishment to the protagonist. Look at most Batman or Spider-Man films where most of their famous rogues get introduced and usually permanently defeated in the same film. Or most of the villains in the MCU. Though I guess there's exceptions like Magneto in the X-Men films or Superman films reliance on Lex Luthor.

Then again, nothing about the success of the first film bled back into the comics outside of seemingly tossing out Year One for WW2 as an origin and sword iconography.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Who knows?

Film adaptations of superheroes usually see longstanding villains defeated in the same films they are introduced in to give a sense of accomplishment to the protagonist. Look at most Batman or Spider-Man films where most of their famous rogues get introduced and usually permanently defeated in the same film. Or most of the villains in the MCU. Though I guess there's exceptions like Magneto in the X-Men films or Superman films reliance on Lex Luthor.

Then again, nothing about the success of the first film bled back into the comics outside of seemingly tossing out Year One for WW2 as an origin and sword iconography.
    I'm not saying she shouldn't be defeated. I'm talking about the way that it happens according to leaks. Cheetah already suffers from bad writing in the comics as it is. So if the leaks are true. That is not a good look on her durability.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the film has a great opportunity to make Cheetah an antagonist you care about, and from the leaks and what we've seen (and remarks from the cast and crew) I think they will succeed. If audiences like her in such a high profile film, that will tell the execs to use her more in other stuff.

spoilers:
    The leaks detail the final fight and it sounds like she is in charge of most of the fight, which is going to look good for her. She also destroys the highly promoted golden armor, which is fitting for the evil Cheetah generally represents. The armor is forged by various pieces of Amazon armor, so Diana's sisters are "with her" in spirit and helping to empower her. Cheetah is always about envy causing women to prey on each other and tear each other down. So by wrecking the armor, she's spitefully tearing down the Amazons "sisterhood."

Her being a one-and-done is a bummer, but like Gaius said that's how a lot of CBMs operate pre-MCU and even afterward. Cheetah has been reformed at various points before sliding back into evil because she needs to stick around, but the movie doesn't have that limitation. So Diana gets a victory she will never really have in the ongoing comics. Unless she plays a role in Wonder Woman 3
    end of spoilers

Help what? Her treatment in the comics? Probably not. Her general perception? Probably yes. Many people think of her as a street level villain (and her depictions in animation help reaffirm that opinion), but the movie clearly presents her as a challenge for Wonder Woman who has decades of experience and is wearing armour. So even if the way she's defeated is lame, it's still a decent showing for her.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I'm not saying she shouldn't be defeated. I'm talking about the way that it happens according to leaks. Cheetah already suffers from bad writing in the comics as it is. So if the leaks are true. That is not a good look on her durability.
    Just a heads up, I'm only aware of the leaks in broads strokes so I can't really speak definitively until I actually see the film. So I can't really speak on how Cheetah comes off there.

Not disagreeing on Cheetah suffering from lousy writing (though I blame more non-WW writers rather than those on her book) but as others have said being in a high profile film will certainly do a lot to raise her stature just by that alone, and unlike Ares or Dr. Poison from the first film she's also been pretty heavily featured in the advertising. Though like I said earlier, DC doesn't give much faith even if Cheetah is aces in the film they'll do much to follow up on that.

I think it has the potential to definitely rehabilitate her standing with general audiences and cement her as Diana's archenemy.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think the film has a great opportunity to make Cheetah an antagonist you care about, and from the leaks and what we've seen (and remarks from the cast and crew) I think they will succeed. If audiences like her in such a high profile film, that will tell the execs to use her more in other stuff.

spoilers:
    The leaks detail the final fight and it sounds like she is in charge of most of the fight, which is going to look good for her. She also destroys the highly promoted golden armor, which is fitting for the evil Cheetah generally represents. The armor is forged by various pieces of Amazon armor, so Diana's sisters are "with her" in spirit and helping to empower her. Cheetah is always about envy causing women to prey on each other and tear each other down. So by wrecking the armor, she's spitefully tearing down the Amazons "sisterhood."

Her being a one-and-done is a bummer, but like Gaius said that's how a lot of CBMs operate pre-MCU and even afterward. Cheetah has been reformed at various points before sliding back into evil because she needs to stick around, but the movie doesn't have that limitation. So Diana gets a victory she will never really have in the ongoing comics. Unless she plays a role in Wonder Woman 3
    end of spoilers
    I'm talking about her villain role being done in the first film she appears. I'm talking about the way she goes down according to some leaks. I would expect her to have a better way to go down than that. Since she is supposed to be a high tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it has the potential to definitely rehabilitate her standing with general audiences and cement her as Diana's archenemy.
    It's difficult for me to talk about this. Without actually saying what the leaks of the movie say. My problem is with that. If the leaks are true, the way Cheetah goes down is not the way that it should be for a powerhouse.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's difficult for me to talk about this. Without actually saying what the leaks of the movie say. My problem is with that. If the leaks are true, the way Cheetah goes down is not the way that it should be for a powerhouse.
    spoilers:
    I don't think it will be that much of a problem. If the scene plays out as a tragic fight, audiences won't think less of her by being taken by electricity. It doesn't even kill her, it sounds like it just knocks her out and then the real victory is her redacting her wish. I wouldn't worry about the "powerhouse" stuff, general audiences don't care about this stuff the way we do.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think it will be that much of a problem. If the scene plays out as a tragic fight, audiences won't think less of her by being taken by electricity. It doesn't even kill her, it sounds like it just knocks her out and then the real victory is her redacting her wish. I wouldn't worry about the "powerhouse" stuff, general audiences don't care about this stuff the way we do.
    end of spoilers
    For me. It is important to correct the view that GP has about Cheetah. They view her as a street leveler. And if she does get taken down the way the leaks say. Then the view of Cheetah being kinda weak won't change.

For me. It is important to correct the view that GP has about Cheetah. They view her as a street leveler. And if she does get taken down the way the leaks say. Then the view of Cheetah being kinda weak won't change.
    I think that more depends on if Cheetah is a well-liked part of the film.

In regards to the power level stuff, I mean going a few rounds and losing to someone who beat the God of War doesn't exactly speak poorly of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I think that more depends on if Cheetah is a well-liked part of the film.

In regards to the power level stuff, I mean going a few rounds and losing to someone who beat the God of War doesn't exactly speak poorly of you.

Ares wasn't that impressive feat wise. And if the thing that takes out in the end is what the leaks say. It is very anti-climatic for the previous feats you had going toe to toe with Wondy. And let's not forget that Wondy is in serious need of better feats. Because there are many people calling her DCEU version street level without gear.

It depends. In many ways, the Movie did influence the comics. Hopefully, if Diana gets another animated movie. Maybe we can get an animated CHeetah origin story