Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Are Franklin and Valeria Richards mutants or Inhumans?

Hi guys

It is known that Franklin and Valeria Richards are two of the most overpowered characters in Marvel, and for a while I thought that they had their powers from birth. But I remember reading somewhere that either Fanklin or Valeria, or even both, are either mutants or inhumens.

But which one are they?

Are theey mutanst or inhumens?

Astonishing Member

Franklin should be a mutant, but he's never brought up in many scenarios involving mutants. I think his mutant status was only mentioned once recently when Cyclops tried to recruit him.

They definitely can't be inhumans since they never went through terrigenesis.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Franklin is a mutant. Valeria doesn't actually have any powers; she's just a human who's naturally smart.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Franklin is a mutant. Valeria doesn't actually have any powers; she's just a human who's naturally smart.
    with parents like Reed and Susan can her intellect really be described as natural?

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    with parents like Reed and Susan can her intellect really be described as natural?
    Yes, naturally inherited intelligence from exceptionally gifted parents.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Franklin should be a mutant, but he's never brought up in many scenarios involving mutants. I think his mutant status was only mentioned once recently when Cyclops tried to recruit him.

They definitely can't be inhumans since they never went through terrigenesis.
    You must not have picked up the recent X-Men/Fantastic Four mini. It was all about Franklin's status as an mutant. Recently in the FF, Franklin has been troubled by his powers diminishing. He had used quite a bit of it recreating the multiverse after Secret Wars. He sneaked off to Krakoa with Val without telling his parents. After the usual plot-driven misunderstandings, Reed and Sue agreed to allow Franklin to go to Krakoa and the Beast will assist in trying to find the reason why Franklin's powers are fading.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Yes, naturally inherited intelligence from exceptionally gifted parents.
    And you have to factor in the mystical nature of her birth when Doctor Doom was asked by Johnny to come help Sue during her difficult childbirth.

BANNED

Franklin is mutant. I believe he is the strongest mutant there is. But, Valeria is not a mutant. She is just insanenly gifted, might be because of Doom's magical operation.

Slightly off-topic, but Val should definitely learn magic at some point.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Ultimate Member

Franklin is a mutant. One if not the most powerful mutant in Marvel.

Valeria is just a super intelligent girl.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Still my opinion that Valeria in a demonspawn from Doom.
    Franklin is absolutely a mutant. This was a major point in the recent FF/X-Men mini.

There's no way whatsoever they can be Inhumans, since Reed and Sue aren't Inhumans.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Have they ever been exposed to Terrigen? It would have no effect on baseline humans and mutates. Consider the new Inhumans like Kamala. Her parents don't have powers, but one of them must have the Inhuman gene - they just didn't get any powers because they haven't been exposed to Terrigen. You can be an Inhuman and not know it.

At one point, Luna Maximoff not having powers would've proved that anyone who has a mutant child (which would include Reed and Sue) can't be an Inhuman - the Inhuman and X genes cancel each other out, making offspring normal baseline humans (a survival mechanism, since we know Terrigen is toxic to mutants). However, then Luna's father Quicksilver was retconned to not be a mutant.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I've never cared for the mutant origin for Franklin. It just doesn't fit right.
    I'd have preferred his powers came from his parents being mutates, making him a second generation mutate.

In that scenario the powers are usually duplicated (like MC2 Spider-Girl, and Jessica Drew's son Gerry, who both have their parents' spider powers). If they're different it's a mutation, hence why Franklin is a mutant.

There was a version of Val 20 years ago, codenamed Marvel Girl (neither Jean nor Rachel Grey were using the name at the time), who had Sue's forcefield powers (but not invisibility, which she used tech to duplicate instead). She was considered a mutate.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Have they ever been exposed to Terrigen? It would have no effect on baseline humans and mutates. Consider the new Inhumans like Kamala. Her parents don't have powers, but one of them must have the Inhuman gene - they just didn't get any powers because they haven't been exposed to Terrigen. You can be an Inhuman and not know it.

At one point, Luna Maximoff not having powers would've proved that anyone who has a mutant child (which would include Reed and Sue) can't be an Inhuman - the Inhuman and X genes cancel each other out, making offspring normal baseline humans (a survival mechanism, since we know Terrigen is toxic to mutants). However, then Luna's father Quicksilver was retconned to not be a mutant.
    OK, you lost me there.

Reed and Sue never were mutants or inhumans, they were born humans and then hit by a cosmic ray which gave them thier powers.

A muntants can be born from normal parrents, and you mentioned that inhumens can be born from normal parents as well.