Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Watched it again. Glad I did. There were lines/parts I missed. Overall, I enjoyed it. Not perfect, but a fun SuperHero Movie

Pros:

Pacing: There wasn't one scene that was boring or wasteful.
    Dr Fate: I thought Brosan's Performance was the strongest in this picture.
    Action Scenes: Most were great
    Superman: Extremely happy to see him back and so was the crowd when I saw it at the theater. They knew it was coming but he got a big pop

Mixed Bag:

Hawkman: Glad to see him kicking ass. I like having a character that sees things as either Black or White. Good or evil. But choosing Hawkman for that? I agree with Jared. He was an odd choice. Carrying weapons like that, working for Amanda Waller, etc. His choices really didn't sync with his philosophies.

Story: Parts of it I really liked such as the twist with Adam's Son, but there were others that wasn't fleshed out. The villain for example felt rushed. I thought we were getting treated to Trigon

Humor: Some of the jokes were alright but there were definitely others that had me groaning.

Cons:

Amon: Holy hell this kid was annoying. Amon reminded me of Violet from the Young Justice Cartoon Series. Talks too much, preaches too much, a voice that sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, and by far the poorest acting job. I'd have loved it if he'd have been the sacrifice so the demon monster could be summoned. (But if that happened, then I'd have been rooting for the villain)

Eternium: Still trying to grasp what that stuff is

Nth Metal: I really didn't like how it was used as adamantium magical nanonites
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-01-2022 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Watched it again. Glad I did. There were lines/parts I missed. Overall, I enjoyed it. Not perfect, but a fun SuperHero Movie

Pros:

Pacing: There wasn't one scene that was boring or wasteful.
    Dr Fate: I thought Brosan's Performance was the strongest in this picture.
    Action Scenes: Most were great
    Superman: Extremely happy to see him back and so was the crowd when I saw it at the theater. They knew it was coming but he got a big pop

Mixed Bag:

Hawkman: Glad to see him kicking ass. I like having a character that sees things as either Black or White. Good or evil. But choosing Hawkman for that? I agree with Jared. He was an odd choice. Carrying weapons like that, working for Amanda Waller, etc. His choices really didn't sync with his philosophies.

Story: Parts of it I really liked such as the twist with Adam's Son, but there were others that wasn't fleshed out. The villain for example felt rushed. I thought we were getting treated to Trigon

Humor: Some of the jokes were alright but there were definitely others that had me groaning.

Cons:

Amon: Holy hell this kid was annoying. Amon reminded me of Violet from the Young Justice Cartoon Series. Talks too much, preaches too much, a voice that sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard, and by far the poorest acting job. I'd have loved it if he'd have been the sacrifice so the demon monster could be summoned. (But if that happened, then I'd have been rooting for the villain)

Eternium: Still trying to grasp what that stuff is

Nth Metal: I really didn't like how it was used as adamantium magical nanonites
    Totally agree about the kid. It seemed like they wanted him to be a mix of Freddy Freeman from the Shazam movie and John Conner to Black Adam’s Terminator. It was a big swing and a miss on both fronts.

So many DC movies still feel like they can’t grasp what witty dialogue should sound like. It’s as if the characters are doing a bad impression of a comedic character.

Eternium was introduced to the Shazam mythos in the 90s. It’s literally pieces of the Rock of Eternity. I’m guess since it’s the home of the Wizard and nexus of magic it can drain the powers out of Shazam and Black Adam. Someone felt they needed their own version of kryptonite.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Totally agree about the kid. It seemed like they wanted him to be a mix of Freddy Freeman from the Shazam movie and John Conner to Black Adam’s Terminator. It was a big swing and a miss on both fronts.

So many DC movies still feel like they can’t grasp what witty dialogue should sound like. It’s as if the characters are doing a bad impression of a comedic character.

Eternium was introduced to the Shazam mythos in the 90s. It’s literally pieces of the Rock of Eternity. I’m guess since it’s the home of the Wizard and nexus of magic it can drain the powers out of Shazam and Black Adam. Someone felt they needed their own version of kryptonite.
    They kinda need it, given that they're as strong as Superman and don't depend on solar energy for their strength

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

As far as low BO returns, Objectively speaking I think it's the fact that "DC fans" are more fans of individual characters (primarily Batman), than the whole DCU. There's some elements of this with Marvel too (like X-Men fans solely just liking X-Men related stuff). But it seems to be more prevalent with DC IMO.

DC films Have undoubtedly, not all been the most entertaining. And yet Marvel can often put out some pretty terrible to mediocre movies (imo) and still get $700 million-$1 billion box office. Marvel I think just has a more stable base of uncritical fans.

They also shouldn't have moved BA release date to just a few weeks before WF. Whoever did that should be fucking fired!
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    DC films Have undoubtedly, not all been the most entertaining. And yet Marvel can often put out some pretty terrible to mediocre movies (imo) and still get $700 million-$1 billion box office. Marvel I think just has a more stable base of uncritical fans.
    May I offer a counterpoint. Perhaps your opinion that the movies are terrible to mediocre is the minority opinion and the majority of moviegoers honestly enjoy those movies. Also people can be critical of a thing while still enjoying said thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    May I offer a counterpoint. Perhaps your opinion that the movies are terrible to mediocre is the minority opinion and the majority of moviegoers honestly enjoy those movies. Also people can be critical of a thing while still enjoying said thing.
    The minority often are louder than others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    May I offer a counterpoint. Perhaps your opinion that the movies are terrible to mediocre is the minority opinion
    A minority isn't necessarily in the wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    This I don't get at all. None of you supported Cavill's Superman when DC actually were initially using him, he wasn't enough of a draw to save this movie either, and I bet he isn't going to be the answer for any future movie successes either. He really isn't a good Superman actor.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 12-06-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    They also shouldn't have moved BA release date to just a few weeks before WF. Whoever did that should be fucking fired!
    3 weeks IMO is more than enough time to make big bank. The audience simply had no interest. I enjoyed the movie. Very light on character development but good action and it was a blast to see the JSA.

It will be interesting to see how new IPs from Marvel will fare onscreen. Shang-Chi did well but Eternals flopped.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    The minority often are louder than others.
    The "Others"(see majority) spoke with their wallets and placed tushy in seats so that voice is heard first, loudest and most consistent.
    Thus making them if not wrong, irrelevant in their opinion at any given time on any given film.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Ah forget it. Was trying to post a link but of course it doesn't work.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 12-07-2022 at 07:11 AM.

Dwayne Johnson’s latest tweet about the movie’s profit is kinda embarrassing… sounds like that kid in school whose girlfriend we can’t meet because “she goes to another school”

Extraordinary Member

I guess it's only embarrassing if you didn't read the article attached.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Dwayne Johnson’s latest tweet about the movie’s profit is kinda embarrassing… sounds like that kid in school whose girlfriend we can’t meet because “she goes to another school”
    It is, a little.
    It's a project that's been something like 15 years in the making and introduces the JSA. He put a lot of effort into it.

But, Dwayne recently turned it into "Captain America only did $370 million!" but when adjusted for inflation, etc. Black Adam's haul is simply not impressive.

The fact remains it had a $190~ million production budget + another $80~ million marketing budget for around $270~ million. The breakeven point would be a movie making $550 million with those costs factored in (for the people who still argue about this, theaters take half of the revenue...). Even with streaming and other deductions and revenue (Blu Rays) brought in, it's still rather hard to believe this turns much of a profit. It just hasn't been a very popular movie and I personally don't know anyone who's going to be running out to buy it. I won't be and I own most of the DCEU on Blu Ray.

I say all of this understanding Dwayne himself said he had his team run the numbers, etc. I get that, but I've been analyzing box office and production costs for movies for the last 6 years and this one doesn't pass the smell test from my amateur nose. This movie won't even break past $400 million worldwide.

I guess Rock was right the hiarchy did change just not how DC expected...

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    It is, a little.
    It's a project that's been something like 15 years in the making and introduces the JSA. He put a lot of effort into it.

But, Dwayne recently turned it into "Captain America only did $370 million!" but when adjusted for inflation, etc. Black Adam's haul is simply not impressive.

The fact remains it had a $190~ million production budget + another $80~ million marketing budget for around $270~ million. The breakeven point would be a movie making $550 million with those costs factored in (for the people who still argue about this, theaters take half of the revenue...). Even with streaming and other deductions and revenue (Blu Rays) brought in, it's still rather hard to believe this turns much of a profit. It just hasn't been a very popular movie and I personally don't know anyone who's going to be running out to buy it. I won't be and I own most of the DCEU on Blu Ray.

I say all of this understanding Dwayne himself said he had his team run the numbers, etc. I get that, but I've been analyzing box office and production costs for movies for the last 6 years and this one doesn't pass the smell test from my amateur nose. This movie won't even break past $400 million worldwide.
    In the article, the breakdown actually shows a massive loss on theatrical with the home revenue making up the difference and sending it into profit. The article also makes it look like a bad investment - spend $338 million, get $52-million back. That's only 15% ROI on something that took so many years to get up and running.