Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

I had no expectations about this and wound up loving it. It was definitely a popcorn flick - but that's the appeal. Loved the JSA - thought each of the actors were fantastic - and absolutely thrilled by the midcredit cameo.

Will definitely see it again, which I originally had no intention of doing.

watched it again yesterday, this time with my son. He really liked it. He loved Dwayne as Black Adam, the action and the story about Kahndaq. I really like this origin story for Black Adam, one of my favorites in the DCU so far.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

While I won't be seeing it in the theater, as I rarely see any films in theater anymore, the non-critic fan reviews definitely will have me see it on DVD/streaming. I grew up with The Rock with wrestling and so I already have an appreciation of him and his entertainment value. I'm interested in this because he's not just basically playing himself (like his many other films), but rather a darker character.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    While I won't be seeing it in the theater, as I rarely see any films in theater anymore, the non-critic fan reviews definitely will have me see it on DVD/streaming. I grew up with The Rock with wrestling and so I already have an appreciation of him and his entertainment value. I'm interested in this because he's not just basically playing himself (like his many other films), but rather a darker character.
    I think you'll like it! He's definitely not the good guy, and it was a little out of character for him. The best thing he brings to the part is the "man out of time" acting, as a person from the distant past transplanted to modern times. The feel created in that regard is really all him.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 10-27-2022 at 12:55 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

A CBR writer has a good point: Many fans of The Rock love him as a villain.

I know there is some truth in that for me because I first saw The Rock on TV like month or two before he turned heel (villain) in fall 1998 and became the Vince's Corporate Champion. That Rock I fell in love with, the cocky mean Rock.

Denzel found massive success playing against type when he did Training Day (my favorite Denzel performance being Det. Alonzo Harris).

"Black Adam Proves The Rock Is Better When He Breaks Bad": Dwayne Johnson playing an anti-hero in Black Adam is against type for his movie career, but it's reminiscent of how he became a wrestling superstar.
    https://www.cbr.com/black-adam-wwe-d...-bad-guy-dceu/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-28-2022 at 05:34 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I think you'll like it! He's definitely not the good guy, and it was a little out of character for him. The best thing he brings to the part is the "man out of time" acting, as a person from the distant past transplanted to modern times. The feel created in that regard is really all him.
    I thought the "man out of time" part was really well done - one of the parts that surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    That's like the only part of the movie I didn't like actually.

I thought Rock's acting was just bad there, and having the kid explain everything to him was a stupid decision.

I went a noon showing today. I hope it’s doing well enough at the box office because there were only two other people in the theater. It mostly held my interest. The story was convoluted at times but there was plenty of action. I’d maybe give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. My test for comic movies is does anything take me back to reading comics as a kid. Seeing Dr Fate was that moment for me. I remember way way way back buying All Star Comics in the 70’s & being introduced to the character. For some reason, my mom, who would always glance at my comics and occasionally read some, she liked Dr Fate. She tended to gravitate toward the mysterious characters. Batman, Dr Fate, the Spectre. I never thought I’d see Dr Fate in a movie! I wasn’t always thrilled with the display of his powers but I enjoyed him. Mom would’ve liked that. Seeing Hawkman was a treat too.

I wish the powers of these characters could be depicted in more varied ways on screen. Dr Fate should’ve been able to a lot more than what we saw. Just not very imaginative. Magic guys don’t usually do physical attacks. Honestly though, it was a pretty fun movie. Not a disappointment at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I went a noon showing today. I hope it’s doing well enough at the box office because there were only two other people in the theater.
    "‘Black Adam’ Drops 59% But Retains Top Spot With $28 Million..."

Some sites are saying a 63% drop, but I tend to trust BoxOfficeMojo (the above link) over them.

Looks like a normal drop to me after a big opening.

MCU films have done that (and worse).

There's nothing really playing till BP:WF and US three day weekend coming soon.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

I think Collider has the more accurate take on the numbers.
    https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=117bd...sbGlvbi8&ntb=1

Black Adam is getting released in China on the same day as BP gets released here. According to reports, China loves Dwayne Johnson and pretty much always turns up in droves to see his films. Could do well over $100 million there.

https://comicbookmovie.com/black_ada...e-date-a197474
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Looks like a normal drop to me after a big opening.

MCU films have done that (and worse).

There's nothing really playing till BP:WF and US three day weekend coming soon.
    And like the Article said, Halloween tends to keep people away from the movies as a lot of people go to parties and take kids places etc...

Not for me. Couldn't get invested in any of the characters, especially the JSA (hard to care about a character "death" considering this, too), and I nodded off multiple times.

Happy for those who enjoyed it, though.

There's nothing really playing till BP:WF and US three day weekend coming soon
    One piece is out next week and has a 100 rt score to boot. Our hero, dragonball and demon slayer all came in first place when released and demon slayer defeated mortal kombat at the box office when released. Granted one piece is kind of a wildcard in america but is the second best selling "comic" right now! Could do well or sink.

Black Adam is getting released in China on the same day as BP gets released here.
    Just in time for bunch of theatres in china shut down for covid. WB better hope they are open again when adam is released there as film needs to make $450m to $500m to break even or it's a loss! This film needs china!