Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

Astonishing Member

I'm ok if Black Adam starts off as an anti-hero. But I also want to see his descent into full villainy.

The JSA they've basically assembled to meet him are really no match for him. Other than Fate maybe.

I am looking forward to this movie and I am hoping for a few surprises.

I would love to see the JSA pushed more after this movie and it spread over into the comics.
    Last edited by InfamousBG; 06-06-2022 at 05:02 AM.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Well, that about sums it up .

Trailer is out

It reminds me of a mid 2000s superhero movie (with way better looking vfx).

Honestly, it looks very similar to Hancock in my opinion, but idk why. That isn’t a problem, but it doesn’t feel like Marvel or DC to me, more like an off brand attempt at the genre (Which is how films like Hancock and Bloodshot felt to me). It makes me semi interested in it just because of the nostalgia it will give me haha

Maybe it’s because I’m not super interested in Black Adam, but The Rock just doesn’t excite me for this character. He’s got the physique, but he can’t act at all so I’m not expecting much from him.

I hope the JSA get some scene stealing moments that don’t get ruined in trailers beforehand

But yeah, overall I just don’t know what to think - I’ll be waiting til closer to release to decide if I want to see it!

Mighty Member

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Trailer is out

It reminds me of a mid 2000s superhero movie (with way better looking vfx).

Honestly, it looks very similar to Hancock in my opinion, but idk why. That isn’t a problem, but it doesn’t feel like Marvel or DC to me, more like an off brand attempt at the genre (Which is how films like Hancock and Bloodshot felt to me). It makes me semi interested in it just because of the nostalgia it will give me haha

Maybe it’s because I’m not super interested in Black Adam, but The Rock just doesn’t excite me for this character. He’s got the physique, but he can’t act at all so I’m not expecting much from him.

I hope the JSA get some scene stealing moments that don’t get ruined in trailers beforehand

But yeah, overall I just don’t know what to think - I’ll be waiting til closer to release to decide if I want to see it!
    Yeah, it does kind of give me that, "off-brand" superhero movie vibe. Like, it's hitting the familiar action bits and has the same flourishes you'd expect...but it doesn't have any real emotional connection.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

The Rock is at his best when he's an increasingly indignant straight man to a hyper partner like Sean Scott Anderson or the Fast Furious crowd ( which is ironic, since Vince Diesel has the same limitations).

I don't see how this works with a serious JSA as his foil.

We'll see if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I'm kind of curious about Adams' origin here. So like the only reason he survived is because the Wizard chose him after his death to be the Champion? Or did the Wizard want his son and he gave up his life so Adam could get his powers?

Was Hawkman wearing a really Mr. Terrific-esque jacket when he exited the jet?

"Heroes don't kill." - I agree in principle, but what Superhero media has Hawkman been watching?

The effects for the JSA all look cool.

Black Adam casually murking people. As he does.

I assume that's Adriana/Isis at the end? Black Adam learns about missiles.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I've just finished watching the trailer. My thoughts haven't really changed: I'm still going to watch it, probably in theaters, but it'll be for the JSA (mostly Doctor Fate and Atom-Smasher) because I still got no idea if I'll like the movie. I still haven't seen enough of Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam to get a feel of whether I like him as the character or not.

The trailer did give me the impression that it'll be a fun enough movie that I won't be bored, and that my whole family can enjoy watching together, so it'll the opportunity for a nice outing.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-08-2022 at 08:38 AM.

I'm strangely apathetic towards this after the trailer. There's nothing horrible about it but it just comes off as very "meh" to me. I think that it looks more like "The Rock" playing "The Rock with Superman's powers" and not really playing "Black Adam." He looks the part but doesn't sound anything like BA to me. Could he even have attempted to do a North African accent or something?

Also, how do you hire Aldis Hodge and not have him go bare chested?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, it does kind of give me that, "off-brand" superhero movie vibe. Like, it's hitting the familiar action bits and has the same flourishes you'd expect...but it doesn't have any real emotional connection.
    I think what also doesn’t help is the lack of an eye catching look - the dull tones of his costume, which looks worn down, with the lightning bolt looking particularly faded makes it look like the typical black power suits from 2000’s comic book movies

I think what also doesn’t help is the lack of an eye catching look - the dull tones of his costume, which looks worn down, with the lightning bolt looking particularly faded makes it look like the typical black power suits from 2000’s comic book movies
    Besides X-Men, Blade, and Batman, and only X-Men being the example where it was inappropriate to the characters, what other 00's comic book movies had that costuming problem? Spider-Man had his red and blues, as did Superman in his Returns, FF4 had their blue costumes, and so on. At least how I remember that decade.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I'm strangely apathetic towards this after the trailer. There's nothing horrible about it but it just comes off as very "meh" to me. I think that it looks more like "The Rock" playing "The Rock with Superman's powers" and not really playing "Black Adam." He looks the part but doesn't sound anything like BA to me. Could he even have attempted to do a North African accent or something?
    I don't think even Cavill's Superman would just be casually murking people .
    Also, how do you hire Aldis Hodge and not have him go bare chested?
    Hawkamn with a shirt is a big disappointment.
    I mean, it's pretty much 100% his suit from the comics, so I don't think they could really do much there other than I guess brighten it up a little. I think it's meant to contrast with the JSA looking more colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Besides X-Men, Blade, and Batman, and only X-Men being the example where it was inappropriate to the characters, what other 00's comic book movies had that costuming problem? Spider-Man had his red and blues, as did Superman in his Returns, FF4 had their blue costumes, and so on. At least how I remember that decade.
    Apologies, I should have said sci fi as opposed to comic book, with Hancock still being my main point of reference here haha. Couple that with the slew of sci fi tv shows from the era then I think it’s fair to say it was pretty common.

It’s not so much to do with the frequency of it, as opposed to it being indicative of the “dark clothing = we’re serious” mentality that seems to usually come along with it. Of course it can work well, but I think it’s dated all the examples you’ve mentioned, barring Batman (even so, the suit was not the strongest part of those films imo)

It’s not a death knell or anything, it just feels like they’ve really muted the white and yellow of his costume, which would make it easier to tell him apart other than the fact it’s Dwayne Johnson as a super hero. To me, the fairly dull skin suit with a feint symbol just reminds me of things like Hancock and X-Men, and that’s not something you often get with these movies nowadays