Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Someone pointed out something that I hadn't thought about: if this is set in the DCEU, then the whole "Heroes don't kill" that's suppose to make Black Adam atypical doesn't really work because heroes do kill in that universe.

Superman killed Zod in the self-defense of a family, and Wonder Woman definitely killed people and she even posed with the head of some guy she killed (which, uh, is actually a war crime in real-life)
    That was just like a test shot Snyder did. She didn't actually do that in-universe (unless we're thinking of different things).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I think it’s being used less as a literal phrase and more of a philosophical - I.e. Hawkman’s definition of a hero is that they SHOULDNT kill; maybe he’s not comparing Adam to any known heroes in the universe. It would actually be quite interesting if that was the JSA’s reason for being in this movie - a group of heroes dead set against killing as opposed to the Justice League we’ve seen. Would be a nice little meta commentary on older comics versus today. Of course, that would make it a bit annoying for me if the purpose of this movie is to have Black Adam be opposed to that and still win.

Which reminds me; is there a villain in this that we know of? Or is it supposed to be him versus the JSA?
    It's actually kind of ironic in light of how violent and excessive Hawkman can be but it might also be Carter trying to be more rigid and collected to retain his humanity and moral compass.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was just like a test shot Snyder did. She didn't actually do that in-universe (unless we're thinking of different things).
    Thanks for that. I thought I was having a senior moment.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

I thought the picture made it into a film as photograph in the background somewhere and that confirmed it was still canon?

EDIT: Ah, now I see why I was confused. My bad, it's still not canon (thank god)

I think it’s being used less as a literal phrase and more of a philosophical - I.e. Hawkman’s definition of a hero is that they SHOULDNT kill; maybe he’s not comparing Adam to any known heroes in the universe. It would actually be quite interesting if that was the JSA’s reason for being in this movie - a group of heroes dead set against killing as opposed to the Justice League we’ve seen. Would be a nice little meta commentary on older comics versus today. Of course, that would make it a bit annoying for me if the purpose of this movie is to have Black Adam be opposed to that and still win.
    It's not an in-universe thing. What I mean is that the most recent movie universe had its heroes kill - some desperately, some willfully and some recklessly - and/or maim so with that in mind, Black Adam being willing to kill doesn't really seem that big a deal because he's not going against some general standard/status quo. He's not outlier. He's just part of the norm, especially when the trailer seems to portray him as a "heroic killer" - the traditional anti-hero with a sympathetic background who is willing to get his hands dirty to protect others.

If he was more morally dubious due to his ancient background, that would be a different matter. For example, if someone - a thief who is not portrayed as a jerk or a comedic victim - tries to steal from him and he tries to inflict a disproportion punishment. That kind of thing.

The closest seemed to be when he destroyed the wing of a plane which pilot (who we're clearly shown survived) wasn't being aggressive towards him in any way.

Of course, that would make it a bit annoying for me if the purpose of this movie is to have Black Adam be opposed to that and still win.
    Since I first saw that the JSA would be in the film, I've known that whether I'll come away from the film liking it or not will depend on how the conflict between Black Adam and the JSA is handled as well as how the JSA is treated by the film.

Which reminds me; is there a villain in this that we know of? Or is it supposed to be him versus the JSA?
    None that I know of. Apparently, there's been rumors, but I have no idea how legit they are. Here's the name:
    spoilers:
    (some guy named Sabbac?)
    end of spoilers

Maybe they'll allude to or have the villain pop up in later trailers, but so far, it seems like the marketing really wants to lean into "Will Black Adam be a hero or a villain?"
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-09-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Yeah he wanted to go as far back as flash photography was available, to give the audience a sense that Wonder Woman is immortal and ageless. The first known photograph was captured in 1826, so that gave him a bit of a window of available events to draw from. I think in his mind he had an idea of what Wonder Woman should be and wrapped the movie (BvS) around that, but when Patty Jenkins came on board for the solo he was respectful of her ideas, hence the photo swap to maintain continuity with HER project. But his ideas seemed to be she'd left Paradise Island multiple times well before Steve Trevor's arrival to help mankind in wars.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    It's not an in-universe thing. What I mean is that the most recent movie universe had its heroes kill - some desperately, some willfully and some recklessly - and/or maim so with that in mind, Black Adam being willing to kill doesn't really seem that big a deal because he's not going against some general standard/status quo. He's not outlier. He's just part of the norm, especially when the trailer seems to portray him as a "heroic killer" - the traditional anti-hero with a sympathetic background who is willing to get his hands dirty to protect others.

If he was more morally dubious due to his ancient background, that would be a different matter. For example, if someone - a thief who is not portrayed as a jerk or a comedic victim - tries to steal from him and he tries to inflict a disproportion punishment. That kind of thing.

The closest seemed to be when he destroyed the wing of a plane which pilot (who we're clearly shown survived) wasn't being aggressive towards him in any way.
    Adam (usually) has a very rigid, old school, code of ethics. Like, really old school.
    None that I know of. Apparently, there's been rumors, but I have no idea how legit they are. Here's the name:
    spoilers:
    (some guy named Sabbac?)
    end of spoilers

Maybe they'll allude to or have the villain pop up in later trailers, but so far, it seems like the marketing really wants to lean into "Will Black Adam be a hero or a villain?"
    He's actually an established Captain Marvel villain, but I think FanDome teased Eclipso as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Yeah he wanted to go as far back as flash photography was available, to give the audience a sense that Wonder Woman is immortal and ageless. The first known photograph was captured in 1826, so that gave him a bit of a window of available events to draw from. I think in his mind he had an idea of what Wonder Woman should be and wrapped the movie (BvS) around that, but when Patty Jenkins came on board for the solo he was respectful of her ideas, hence the photo swap to maintain continuity with HER project. But his ideas seemed to be she'd left Paradise Island multiple times well before Steve Trevor's arrival to help mankind in wars.
    Very "warrior woman."

They missed an opportunity to have this film take place in ancient Kahndaq.

And what's up with the comedy? This is one of the few DC films where it should have been dark and depressing.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 06-09-2022 at 06:28 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

And what's up with the comedy? This is one of the few DC films where it should have been dark and depressing.
    Only real comedy in the trailer is Adam murdering a guy, so...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Only real comedy in the trailer is Adam murdering a guy, so...
    And those two people rolling up their windows.

Got to say, I have mixed feelings on this. One one hand, there were a lot of things that I liked-Atom Smasher, Fate, loving Rock as Black Adam. Not quite sold on Hawkman's wings. Wasn't digging the speeder bike gang- that felt completely out of place. I'm also still annoyed they race-bent Cyclone, but I'll give her a fair chance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And those two people rolling up their windows.

Got to say, I have mixed feelings on this. One one hand, there were a lot of things that I liked-Atom Smasher, Fate, loving Rock as Black Adam. Not quite sold on Hawkman's wings. Wasn't digging the speeder bike gang- that felt completely out of place. I'm also still annoyed they race-bent Cyclone, but I'll give her a fair chance.
    It might be the worst life-action Hawkman-costume that I've seen. Cyclone's creator had to approve the actresses casting, so I'm hoping she's still the heart of Maxine.

They also race-bent Atom Smasher, and unlike Cyclone, he presumably isn't even keeping his red hair.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It might be the worst life-action Hawkman-costume that I've seen. Cyclone's creator had to approve the actresses casting, so I'm hoping she's still the heart of Maxine.

They also race-bent Atom Smasher, and unlike Cyclone, he presumably isn't even keeping his red hair.
    What? No they didn't

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post

If it's going to have comedy it needs to be dark comedy.

Ultimate Member

Isn't Atom Smasher white in the comics?

Trailer did nothing for me. It looks like the Rock being the Rock, just in a Black Adam costume now. Getting similar vibes as I did from Jungle Cruise movie, which totally turned out to be right. The Rock plays the Rock.

Black Adam might have Rock-like qualities, but I'm not seeing much of Black Adam in the Rock. If that makes any sense lol.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Trailer did nothing for me. It looks like the Rock being the Rock, just in a Black Adam costume now. Getting similar vibes as I did from Jungle Cruise movie, which totally turned out to be right. The Rock plays the Rock.

Black Adam might have Rock-like qualities, but I'm not seeing much of Black Adam in the Rock. If that makes any sense lol.
    It does. I feel the same way.

Black Adam had a distinct demeanour in JSA. For example, his body language tended to be rigid and stoic - closed off. He had a formal kind of speech. Also, a tendency to hover over people with his arms crossed.

The line "Well, I do." feels too informal for him and honestly, it lacks the kind of bite that Black Adam would definitely respond with to that kind of statement (that heroes don't kill)

Of cousrse, that was the JSA and I have no idea what he was like in the run this movie seems to be lifting part of his slave backstory from.

I'm just personally not getting Black Adam vibes from him, either. I haven't written him off yet, but it is part of the reason that I'm not really drawn to the Black Adam part of the movie.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-10-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Michael Shanks in Smallville. 'Nuff said.

Oddly, I don't care that they race-bent Atom Smasher, because every time I've ever seen him in the comics, he's been under a mask. And Black Maxine may turn out to be good- I ended up really Jurnee Smollett as Dinah in Birds of Prey. But I'm always going to be a proponent of casting actors to the characters as they look on the page. If you want to diversify your cast, either create new characters or use minority characters that haven't gotten any love from Hollywood yet.