Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It doesn't sound like the villain isn't clearly identifiable (Sabbac is literally a demon) there just isn't much to talk about with them.

I mean, past-movies have had pretty clear cut good guys and bad guys.
    What are Sabbac's motivations? Is he working for anyone else? Does he have servant girls and guys who bathe him and cover him with yellow moon dust? Does he enjoy hitting minions with a big hammer? Does he really like the color blue or some other color?

Those are the kinds of questions I want answered!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ", but Johnson — who’s also a producer on the film, and a part-time architect of this cinematic universe in addition to our own — can’t abide the idea of doing something that might leave even one audience member behind. He doesn’t have the stomach to make Black Adam much of an antihero, let alone a bad guy"

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. Amazing Johnson's Black Adam is less edgy than Captain America, lol (don't tell me Civil War didn't risk Cap's rep).

Still, I think I'll enjoy it when it comes on HBO Max. The JSA weren't nerfed, so that's good enough for me.
    Well, editing may have toned him down some since they had to do a few edits to get it away from an R rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Me too. One of the basic things about MCU movies, warts and all, that they get right is having identifiable and prominent good guys and bad guys. Kind of telling that DC is stuck in the 1990s with movies that "profile" their bad guys without going into their motivations at all or even giving them basic moustache twisting personalities. Even Ronan in GotG, which I found pretty weak overall and one-note comparted to the comics, had a few speeches and scenes all his own to establish his villainy.

What's hard about this stuff? I get that its a risk to offend someone if you portray any character attributes at all, but if its a problem really then maybe story-telling isn't for you.
    Marvel movies at the very least get the basics right, story, decent dialogue, character motivations all spelled out. That's like movie-making 101. I'm just mystified why a brand like WB who has many good movies under their belt acts can barely string a basic plot together when it comes to DCEU.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Well, editing may have toned him down some since they had to do a few edits to get it away from an R rating.
    That would have toned down the brutality, not the actions themselves.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Marvel movies at the very least get the basics right, story, decent dialogue, character motivations all spelled out. That's like movie-making 101. I'm just mystified why a brand like WB who has many good movies under their belt acts can barely string a basic plot together when it comes to DCEU.
    Seriously.

I mean, in the story itself, there are two cast characters who could have been contemporaries of Adam and yet neither are treated as such.

Though, compared to their last movies, at least they were able to take elements of Black Adam's big story and make it a complete story with decent beats. That's better than the first Suicide Squad and New Mutants.

Producer Hiram Garcia says a sequel is already being developed.

Astonishing Member

I watched Black Adam and really liked it.

Among recent Rock movies I thought it's better than Jungle Cruise (another Rock collaboration with Jaume Collet-Serra that made the mistake of reminding you of better adventure classics) and lightyears ahead of Skyscraper (which kind of just asked you to go rewatch Die Hard).

I'd rank it somewhere around Rampage, Hobbs & Shaw and the new Jumanji movies for enjoyment level. Won't say it's easy tops because the latter two have a lot going for them. Just Hobbs and Shaw has Jason Statham as co-star (I love the guy, I'm more pissed off at Operation Fortune getting indefinitely shelved than anything related to Batgirl) and Idris Elba basically playing a Metal Gear Solid villain.

Going back to BA, it's worth the ticket price and commute time because they spent $190 million on it and it really shows in the action and special effects.

Only having very in passing knowledge of comics Black Adam the movie genuinely surprised me at times.

The JSA had a lot of screentime for team work, just not as much regarding backstory and motivations, but I assume that's priority for later movies. At the very least I expect Hawkman to be here to stay casting as much as Gadot, Momoa etc. are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    The JSA had a lot of screentime for team work, just not as much regarding backstory and motivations, but I assume that's priority for later movies. At the very least I expect Hawkman to be here to stay casting as much as Gadot, Momoa etc. are.
    That's good to know.

But in Grace Randolph's review she said that Dr.Fate didn't have enough screen time in the movie, so maybe she's wrong?

I liked it. A better DCEU movie, though not saying much.
    It really was more like a JSA movie even though the big JSA guys were not it in. The plot really had a lot to do with them.
    A few things I am tired of in DC movies and didn’t like in this movie.
    1. Slow motion
    2. Pebbles moving and bouncing.
    3. Fire based/large villains.
    4. God like villains
    5. Did I mention slow motion?
    6. Wall full of JL members(throw us a bone with a hero not seen yet)
    7. The X-Mansion.

Things I liked.
    1. JSA
    2. Hawkman-He really kicked ass
    3. Remington Steele stole all his scenes. The man can act.
    4. Bucket of chicken.
    5. Task Force X deep sleep.
    6. After scene. I stayed away from it all I could. Still made me smile.
    7. The Rock did ok.
    8. Hawkman. Wait. Yeah. More Hawkman please. If anyone needs backstory it’s him. I did geek out on him.

Ok. I’m gonna cut it short. I am sure I missed a bunch of Easter eggs and can’t wait to hear others thoughts.

That's good to know.

But in Grace Randolph's review she said that Dr.Fate didn't have enough screen time in the movie, so maybe she's wrong?
    Remington Steele stole all his scenes and he was in a lot of the movie but I wish he was in more because he is that damn good.

Astonishing Member

That's good to know.

Believe me, they gave Doc Fate maximum importance in the movie as far as making sure the demonic villain would be taken down no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Believe me, they gave Doc Fate maximum importance in the movie as far as making sure the demonic villain would be taken down no matter what.
    And in classic WB dark evil brooding fashion, they opened up the trash can. Unnecessary and cliched shock value tripe crap.
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 10-21-2022 at 05:36 AM.

That's good to know.

Having "enough screentime" or not seems like an opinion that cannot be right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    ", but Johnson — who’s also a producer on the film, and a part-time architect of this cinematic universe in addition to our own — can’t abide the idea of doing something that might leave even one audience member behind. He doesn’t have the stomach to make Black Adam much of an antihero, let alone a bad guy"

Yeah, this is what I was afraid of. Amazing Johnson's Black Adam is less edgy than Captain America, lol (don't tell me Civil War didn't risk Cap's rep).

Still, I think I'll enjoy it when it comes on HBO Max. The JSA weren't nerfed, so that's good enough for me.
    How? Most of the people against his position were either villains, hypocrites or strawmen who undermined their own arguments. No one was going to root for someone who opposed Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    What are Sabbac's motivations? Is he working for anyone else? Does he have servant girls and guys who bathe him and cover him with yellow moon dust? Does he enjoy hitting minions with a big hammer? Does he really like the color blue or some other color?

Those are the kinds of questions I want answered!
    He works for the devil in the comics.