Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Adam

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Hope he can bulk up. Hawkman should be ala Conan, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Sounds like from the Instagram confirmation its essentially to fill out the JSA roster. So anything else specifically pertaining to Hawkman, namely Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman, would have to come in a solo movie further down the line, if DC decides to make one that is.
    The JSA roster is supposedly Hawkman, Dr. Fate, Cylcone, and Atom-Smasher.

For story reasons they replaced Hawkgirl with Cyclone, presumably because she'll be used to contrast with Atom-Smasher.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Hope he can bulk up. Hawkman should be ala Conan, IMO
    Aldis Hodge is already jacked . Hes a big dude hes just no bulky. Like he wouldn't have to do any work to get into Batman,Black Panther, Green lantern shape etc... but yea he probaly would need to put on 20-30 pounds to be a larger Hawkman. But that depends on the artist, he's as big as the Hawkman in the art from that link. But yea if he's gonna stand next to the rock with his arms out.. he probaly gonna wanna bulk up a bit. He has plenty of time. And with the shape he is in already... wouldn't be that hard if that's what the studio wants from him.

Aldis Hodge is fine as is, IMO. He's already jacked, either just as much or a notch below Henry Cavill (though they're the same height). And when I look at Hawkman's previous portrayers (Michael Shanks and Falk Hentschel) lol Hodge is gonna be just fine. He's not trying to be '82-'84 era Arnie here.

Yes! This is great news
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

I think ever since a bodybuilder first portrayed Hawkman in live action on a 1970s TV Show (the one featuring Adam West and Burt Ward reprising their roles as Batman and Robin), there has been some expectation that Hawkman should be buffer than average superheroes like Green Lantern. I don't know that a bodybuilder physique is required -- and they may avoid a shirtless outfit -- and give him a CGI outfit that makes up the difference.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think ever since a bodybuilder first portrayed Hawkman in live action on a 1970s TV Show (the one featuring Adam West and Burt Ward reprising their roles as Batman and Robin), there has been some expectation that Hawkman should be buffer than average superheroes like Green Lantern. I don't know that a bodybuilder physique is required -- and they may avoid a shirtless outfit -- and give him a CGI outfit that makes up the difference.
    Hawkman's character is recast as basically 'Conan with a mace'. So buff is expected

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't know. When people talk about live action versions of Hawkman, they usually refer to Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow. The 1970s special isn't one most people count even though I love the Adam West Batman.

I don't think the whole idea that every superhero has to look like he's on steroids and lifts weights six hours a day comes from that special but just comic art and social attitudes in general.

I always liked what happened with the television series, "Hercules the Legendary Journeys" in the 1990s. They got a lot of flak from some bodybuilding organizations for not casting a bodybuilder even though Kevin Sorbo was quite muscular by everyday standards. In an interview, he said the producers wanted to get Hercules away from that unhealthy look that screams "steroids". Hopefully, they'll go with a look that is muscular but not to that degree or, as you said, just go with a shirt.
    Power with Girl is better.

If they can sell Gal Gadot as being super-strong, having a leaner “strong man” should be acceptable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    If they can sell Gal Gadot as being super-strong, having a leaner “strong man” should be acceptable as well.
    Yea especially when the dude is already reasonably buff. He put on 20lbs of muscle to play a NFL linebacker in Brian Banks. I think people are picturing him in Leverage. Where he was still a pretty large man but he played a nerd. Hes plenty big as is but if he wanted he has plenty time to bulk up further. Hes got the frame for it. If Hugh Jackman can bulk up anyone can. When not playing Logan or another role that required it, Jackman is skinny as a rail with no muscle definition lol.

Black Adam casts Cyclone.

And wouldn't you guess it, the actress is neither a redhead or white.

Sigh

It's a dead horse, I know, but if you want to have a diverse cast, either pick more diverse characters, or create new characters. I'm truly sick and tired of the colorblind casting bullshit. It's just LAZY.

Astonishing Member

I don't think Cyclone's race is important to the character--I do notice that it's always redhead characters who always get the shaft in casting. I'm struggling to think of a natural redhead who got cast as a redhead character, male or female.

Maybe Rachel Nichols as Scarlett in the GI Joe movie?

Astonishing Member

I actually take that back--Quintessa might actually in fact be a redhead. (At least partially)

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Black Adam casts Cyclone.

And wouldn't you guess it, the actress is neither a redhead or white.

Sigh

It's a dead horse, I know, but if you want to have a diverse cast, either pick more diverse characters, or create new characters. I'm truly sick and tired of the colorblind casting bullshit. It's just LAZY.
    Apparently they're also non-binary, so does that mean the same for Maxine?

I just don't get why the default is always black when it comes to race-bending redheads.

I also hope at the end of the day she's still a dorky, unconventionally attractive, motormouth.